Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ffejeromdiks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 pm

ffejeromdiks

Subject title: Need some help getting this guy right!

Posted this in my sketchbook, but figured it would be better for this forum!

Having some trouble with the hands, no matter how many times I redraw them and look at my own hands, I can't get them right :/

And the eyes I can't get right either, tried so many times to get them both looking at the same thing, maybe it's the reptilian eyes that are difficult? Anyway any comments will certainly help!

Thanks guys

Postby ffejeromdiks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:29 pm

ffejeromdiks

Put another hour into it, touched up a few things

Postby ffejeromdiks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

ffejeromdiks

Here's a rough background.
(Sorry for updating so frequently, just posting every time I take a break from working on it)

Postby plixik » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:56 pm

plixik

Try to avoid touching your forms right on the edge, like his arm and his knee. It makes hard to tell what is in front of what. Is it resting on his knee? Is it behind the knee?

One problem with your hand is that it is floating in mid air. It doesn't look like it's resting upon anything. Get something under his hand and I think you'll have a better idea for how the hand should wrapping around it.

I'm no expert at drawing reptilian eyes, so I would just suggest googleing a bunch of good reference.

Hope that helps.

Postby Kricket » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:49 am

Kricket

His right forearm appears really short. His hand is in profile so it can't be foreshortened.

Very cool pic, is this a Skyrim character?

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:01 am

Roger

I can tell the build up for this character most of have been difficult for you. Worst thing you can do is, starting all over again.

Minor things I've noticed: His left leg and left foot don't seem to follow up together, unless he's extremely flexible. For some odd reason, the hand doesn't feel like it's actually resting on the rock. His left eye looks like it's drifting along.

How to fix em? Get yourself and a buddy, have your buddy to pose the way you want and take a picture. Boom, reference and that wasn't hard at all. Also, the more you try to "fix it" the more your going to make it stiff, take it easy during the early process.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby ffejeromdiks » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 pm

ffejeromdiks

Well after receiving others criticism, I started to see all the flaws in the painting so far and I started over, keeping only the head, trying to fix the old one was just becoming hopeless.
Went with an entirely different concept, and looking at it now, I can see that this pose ALSO has some major issues which I'll try to fix up, I think so far at least that it looks much more promising than the previous effort.

I still got much more to do (like adding in the sword, proving to be difficult like last time) but I wanted to go ahead and get some criticism.

Concept is supposed to be that it's from the perspective of a wounded dragon
Here's a detail shot
And full composition

Thanks again everyone, I really want to get this one looking as good as possible to be the best of my artwork to go into my portfolio, so it's kind of stressful working on it! But please mention any problems you see with it, so I can get it to look as good as it can.

Thanks

Postby plixik » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:27 am

plixik

Nice work, it is looking much better than before. You'll need to fix the top of his head though, it is sliding off to his right side. I would also recommend not making your background elements so dark. Your values should get lighter as they get further away. Adding some middle ground and making the mountains smaller may help the sense of scale of the landscape.

Postby ffejeromdiks » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm

ffejeromdiks

Thanks man, I'm going to try touching up the head, and re-working the background as soon as I get this over with:

Felt like my pose was really bad, so I stripped it and reworked it to look better, I don't want to go ahead and put the details on, because I can just tell something is off, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.
New pose looks much better stacked up to the original though.

Postby ffejeromdiks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 pm

ffejeromdiks

Another update, flipped the image, clueless on what my background is going to be now, dragon thing wasn't looking that great >_>

Gotta find more inspiration for the armor, it looks really really bland and boring as of now, I want to add some dings and damage, but first of all I need a better looking design, just looks too boring to me.

I'll put some more time into it later.

This picture has really shown me so far that I need to get more comfortable with backgrounds, I thought the last one was going to look sweet when I first sketched it out, but as the days have passed it's quality is really poor to me. I'll have to start doing some photo studies

Postby ffejeromdiks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

ffejeromdiks

Alright, he's basically done now, just gotta fix up a cool background and I can be done with this thing finally.

Postby Matej » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am

Matej

His balance looks just so off, like he will fall on the left side

Postby plixik » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 am

plixik

Matej wrote:His balance looks just so off, like he will fall on the left side

Seconded, his right leg is angled too far to his left. You need to pull it outward more.

Return to Critique This!