Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Shadonra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:18 am

Shadonra

Subject title: Digital Painting Portrait Critique (With Reference)

Hello everyone, I'm a new member to a new site and I'd first like to say that Sycra has inspired me throughout the years and it was fantastic to see his progress from when he just started his channel until now. I'm a young artist who is trying to improve seriously and have made a digital painting in Photoshop for a friend of mine on her birthday. The technique for the painting was used from one of my favorite digital artists Liang Yue and you can check him out here
http://www.liang-yue.idv.tw/

The process I used can be found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h9AWb0crWs

I started with a grid, I personally despise and hate grids with a passion but it was for her birthday and I didn't really want to mess up, and then I applied Liang Yue's technique over the rough sketch. The mouth is distorted, when I first copied her mouth and painted it in, it just didn't feel right. I then distorted it for the right "feel" but overall ended up failing, and when I painted this a while back I didn't understand mouth planes and rendering as properly as now. I felt like I could have popped her out more if I went darker in her planes for her shadows, and I am not very good at rendering hair. Anyways I'd like to see what you guys think and it would be an honor if Sycra could really do a video critique of this, any feedback personally from Sycra would help a lot. Thanks everybody.

Postby Matej » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:29 am

Matej

Shadows could be more defined and more darker tones.Try first just coloring it in black and white to check the values then add color

I hope this pics explains more.

Postby Shadonra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 am

Shadonra

Aiyahhhh stupid me to never have even checked the black/white settings not even once
I'll make a habit of that now
Though the technique was a bit more classical, so I guess I have to also take the block in phase much more carefully

Postby Matej » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:03 am

Matej

Sorry for my shitty redline , i'm not that good with wacom

Also try to use solid brush to make sharp edges

Postby Sycra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

Hey there. I think your picture is very nice. I agree with Matej that the black and white thing could really help. It would be hard for me to do a critique because you're basing this off a very specific ( and awesome ) style, but I do have some pointers which I quickly show in this paintover.

You gotta really watch the shape of the eyes. I know you used a grid, but maybe that holds you back in a sense that you'll be more afraid to tamper with the proportions, but it's much easier to get a likeness if you can exaggerate some features. To me, she doesn't have a really long nose, and her chin is quite interesting in shape, so those are things I'd look to pay attention to. Also with highlights in the eyes, you have to be careful about inventing too strong highlights because the values may not exist. Overall I'm sure your friend will appreciate the work you've put in for her, but don't be afraid to get rid of the grid.

Postby Shadonra » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Shadonra

Thanks for the help both of you, I'll definitely stick around the forums though I'm heavily introverted so I'll just be a creeper most of the time

Postby sahrab » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 am

sahrab

i like it but like they all said the eyes are very far but still its great

Postby Shoethief » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Shoethief

You have some potential to do some great things. I agree with Sycra's adjustments.

Return to Critique This!