This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Bizzt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:31 am

Bizzt

Subject title: Online Art "Class"

Hello everybody!

I want to try something out. I know I'm new here, and maybe I'm not the right person to take initiative, but I've noticed there is no such thing as a "class" on this site. The thing about art is, it's always more fun when you are surrounded by people doing the same thing. That's essentially why art schools are so efficient. You have people who do the same thing, who you can learn from and who you can have fun with (and who you immediatenly connect with). When you're alone, by yourself, drawing at home, it can sometimes be a lonely process. It can be rather demotivating, especially when the task to do is rather trivial. Drawing boxes, that's not fun. But if you were sitting in a room full of people who were drawing boxes, it wouldn't be the same, boring, thing anymore, would it? If everyone is trying to be the best at it, it's obvious that they will put much more effort into, and thus learn much faster.

If there is one key to learning art (or anything), I can tell you it's motivation. It's having fun. The main purpose of playing games (and I mean on an evolutionary level), is to learn. Animals do it the same way. They learn to hunt in a very playful way, fighting with their brothers and sisters and trying to be the best at it. That is what playing means, and that is what fun is made for.

Now, here I am, wondering about the capabilities of the internet, and why everyone is learning seperately from each other. With myself I have noticed that simply by sitting in a chatroom with people who do art, I get motivated to do the same thing. I don't even need to chat with them, the chatroom could run in the background while I study anatomy. The mere presence of those people in that chatroom is enough to create social motivation (I have no idea if that's a thing, but that's what I will call it), meaning that I get an urge to do something related to drawing, or painting, or whatever it is.

This is why I've decided to try this out. It doesn't really matter at what level your are, if you are a beginner or someone who draws professionally. In the end, it's all about drawing together. We can challenge each other, learn from each other, or even just talk about stuff that is completely unrelated to anything. Lurkers are welcome, too.

I know there is a google-hangout group, but I don't think it is quite as simple and efficient as an IRC chat. All you need to do is visit this site:
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/
And join the room #artclass, with whatever username you prefer. The advantage is that everyone can join it within a few seconds, and nobody is forced to make accounts anywhere. And you always see who is there and who is not, which is nice. In the end the plattform doesn't really matter, but I think it's best to start out with something accessable. And it's free, so that is a plus, too.

I have no idea where this "class" will be going, but for now, everyone who is interested, just join the chat. You can have it running in the background if there is noone in there. If everyone just joins and leaves as soon as he sees that noone is there, there will never be anyone in the chatroom. (something I have learned from IRC chats)

If noone says anything, it probably means everyone is afk.

Postby Oli » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Oli

Bizzt wrote:I've noticed there is no such thing as a "class" on this site.

Well, there is... in the arena section we have/had a class that was a success ;)
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Bizzt » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Bizzt

Oli wrote:
Bizzt wrote:I've noticed there is no such thing as a "class" on this site.

Well, there is... in the arena section we have/had a class that was a success ;)

I'm not sure if we have the same idea of class. ^^

Return to Mentorship, Art Trainers, and Study Buddies