Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby marvel57 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:18 am

marvel57

Subject title: Goblin Madness! Need some critiques or video response!

Fenix- too dark

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 am

Zjacklee

While it might be too dark, I still like fenix's approach on toning down the colors. Also Simplifying the loincloth to begin with is a good idea indeed. this type of drapery fits the goblin better.
the other white version is more roman like times or angelic/holy designs.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:09 am

Brian Kouhi

Absolutely love it Fenix! thanks man! specially for the hand, i really wasn't sure how to make him hold it. Also the ragged drape! i fked that up really bad!
Thanks alot :D
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Brian Kouhi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

Brian Kouhi

Hey guys, i need some help with the back ground... i sketched some thing but im not sure its quite fitting ..

Ps, i usually never draw backgrounds for my drawings :/
Goblin Warlock V3 small.jpg
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Total100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

looks awesome i want to learn to draw backgrounds XD but i think the perspective on the goblin is a more of a top viewish and the background is a mid horizon view.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:18 am

Zjacklee

Only tip I can give you is, when making the background... what is the story you want to tell? What relation does the goblin share with that cave? Is he destroying something with magic? (questions like that.)

Postby Brian Kouhi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 am

Brian Kouhi

Haha it was funny, a "story" came to me about half way through making the background, which is Collecting and destroying resources and minerals. if you save the pic and zoom in on the left side of the image, there is a figure blasting a rock, and under that deeper into the cave, another figure casting some sort of spell on(whats going to be water/small pond).

Postby Total100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Total100 wrote:looks awesome i want to learn to draw backgrounds XD but i think the perspective on the goblin is a more of a top viewish and the background is a mid horizon view.

oops sorry i said this wrong, what i ment was the herizon was to high compaired to the figure
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Brian Kouhi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Brian Kouhi

Thanks total ill see what i can do :D

Postby marvel57 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 pm

marvel57

Brian-from what I can see the cavern is a cool setting, can you lighten it up or is pain ting next :D I just noticed that you can't spell painting w/o pain :ugeek:

Postby Total100 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 am

Total100

marvel57 wrote:Brian-from what I can see the cavern is a cool setting, can you lighten it up or is pain ting next :D I just noticed that you can't spell painting w/o pain :ugeek:

cant spell earth without art :ugeek:
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Jeffrey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:53 am

Jeffrey

Total100 wrote:
marvel57 wrote:Brian-from what I can see the cavern is a cool setting, can you lighten it up or is pain ting next :D I just noticed that you can't spell painting w/o pain :ugeek:

Cant spell Jeffrey without the j :ugeek:

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 am

Ambiguity

Jeffrey wrote:
Total100 wrote:

Can't spell "wasting time" without wasting time...

Postby Brian Kouhi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Brian Kouhi

Ambiguity wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Total100 wrote:

Can't spell "wasting time" without wasting time...

Hahahaha
Right now im in L.A , going to Vegas in 2 days, then after 3 days back home to Toronto, Ontario
so i cant really work on my projects right now :/

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Zjacklee

Vegas?! Let the party continue!! :D

Postby Brian Kouhi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:55 am

Brian Kouhi

Back from Vegas and L.A, had lots of fun, but not as much as i could have :/ If you guys thinking of going to Vegas with family.. don't.. that's all im going to say :lol:

anyways, i need help finding good fictional and inspirational books/novels, i usually NEVER read books... doesn't matter for fun or for university, but i really should start doing so.
if you guys got any suggestions for me, Please let me know :D thanks!

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 am

Zjacklee

Vegas and family doesn't sound like a good combination indeed. Unless it's a brothers night out or dad teaching a shy son to live. :P

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:47 am

Ambiguity

Brian Kouhi wrote:Back from Vegas and L.A, had lots of fun, but not as much as i could have :/ If you guys thinking of going to Vegas with family.. don't.. that's all im going to say :lol:

anyways, i need help finding good fictional and inspirational books/novels, i usually NEVER read books... doesn't matter for fun or for university, but i really should start doing so.
if you guys got any suggestions for me, Please let me know :D thanks!
'cause of all the hooker call cards on the floor? Lol. If you are thinking about going to Vegas during new years, make sure you are off the strip before the countdown finishes, unless you like being stuck in a sea of people for 2 hours.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 am

Brian Kouhi

Bahahaha ^ guessing you have personal experience :3

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 am

Ambiguity

I've been 3 times, new years was just awful lol.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 am

Brian Kouhi

ALRIGHT!!! bumping the threat so you guys dont think i disappeared or something :D
i dont have class on Thursdays(today) so i worked on the Goblin for an hour and half(or something around there)

Ok so, i worked on the background, and im thinking of Mixing the Outline with the painting of it, then paint over some of the unnecessary lines, but keep the rest of them.
if you guys could give me some Feedback on the background, it would be Great! I gotta admit, im absolute crap in painting, and have basicly no experience in Traditional or Digital painting, so some pointers are much appreciated! thanks! :D
Upload pic1.jpg
With the Figure in it
upload pic2-background.jpg
Without the Figure ( Background only )

Postby Total100 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 am

Total100

i have to say the background looks amazing but the lightning looks really of. try to make it less bolts and make it spread out a bit more. and less little branched. also try to make the glow green but the bolt white. the middle of the bolt should be white or it will look dull. the white in the very middle of the bolds should look like its light.
for example
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 am

Brian Kouhi

Thanks Alex :D
i personally want the Core color to show as white, but i cant. i used the same technique Sycra used, and the lightning(screen later) is white, but the color dodge layer(on top of it) is green. I tried moving the Color Doge layer under the Screen layer, but it doesn't look the way i want it to, and as far as the lighting, i haven't really worked on the Lightning's effect on the environment yet, heck i haven't even finished the environment yet.... but yea :) thanks again

Postby Total100 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 am

Total100

Brian Kouhi wrote:Thanks Alex :D
i personally want the Core color to show as white, but i cant. i used the same technique Sycra used, and the lightning(screen later) is white, but the color dodge layer(on top of it) is green. I tried moving the Color Doge layer under the Screen layer, but it doesn't look the way i want it to, and as far as the lighting, i haven't really worked on the Lightning's effect on the environment yet, heck i haven't even finished the environment yet.... but yea :) thanks again

first of your cave looks way better then i could do so stop saying its not good. XD its very good. second lol. i think the lightning looks good just make a new layer over the layers and make that layer a normal layer and then just draw over it with white. can you do that? i tried to use the method sycra used and failed myself to lol i in the end just spent a hour or four drawing it by hand :P
Spoiler: show

and im still not happy with it.
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 am

Brian Kouhi

lol thanks for the compliment :) and regarding the effect, i was having troubles with it too, only a few set of colors work with it, or so i found, other colors show as while or barely any color at all, just like the problem you seem to be having. so i just kept trying different colors until one worked :]

PreviousNext

Return to Critique This!