This is where you can find, or volunteer to be, an art mentor, trainer, or mutual study buddy to help you push your art to the next level!

Postby Artenthusiast » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Artenthusiast

Subject title: Art Cafe Critique Group

Hey everyone,

This topic is made for the people that are a part of the art cafe critique group on skype. As you know we have a weekly critique moment on saturdays and every one of you has a personal schedule in which he/she has to upload their assignments. Please check your schedule for at what time to upload it. Just to freshen things up, here are the assignments:

Weekly assignments:
1. Upload 2-3 of your recent work for critiques at the time you were assigned to upload it (studies/sketches/finalized drawings, anything that you want feedback on).

2. Critique 2 other people during that day. Try not to "hoard" on one person. Try to spread it and change it up every week.

3. Share a source that you find really helpful, inspires you or that you simply love with the rest. Rules are that the source has to:

a) give appreciation to certain artists that you love and other people should check out;
b) has educational value that took you a while to find, a "hidden treasure";
c) has inspirational value to you in a specific field in art (think: concept, animation, illustrative, etc.)

It doesn't have to fit all three requirements, but the minimum is 1.

To conclude:

These assignments are weekly. Upload them every week on saturday. Assignments can change in the course of the following month if so asked for by the majority of people in the art group on skype.

Keep this topic limited to fulfilling these assignments and please use the skype group for chatting, etc. :-)

People that read this topic, are not part of this critique group and want to join: our group is currently pretty full so there is only limited room. Exceptions can be made for active people on the forum who are serious with their development and have a sketchbook showing this.

Sincerely,

Artenthusiast
Aspiring concept artist/illustrator/graphic novelist

"With great power comes great bullshit."

My sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p196780

Postby Artenthusiast » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:18 am

Artenthusiast

Don't forget uploading the assignments tomorrow! :-). You can critique anyone you want at any time. But remember: try to keep critiques within the scheduled time for people uploading their work to avoid a "messy" topic with alot of "@[name]".

Ow yes: and make sure everyone gets a critique!

Postby Vixie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Vixie

Can I silently watch and give a critique even if I´m not in the schedule and don´t post my own work for critique? =)
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Artenthusiast » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Artenthusiast

Vixie wrote:Can I silently watch and give a critique even if I´m not in the schedule and don´t post my own work for critique? =)

Yes you can. You are open to critique and send in your work always if so pleased. Try to keep this topic for only the assignments though, you can ask stuff in skype ^^. That way we can keep the topic organized and clean :-)

Postby Artenthusiast » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:00 am

Artenthusiast

Oke I am uploading my assignments, cause it's nearly 11:00 am here.

Assignment 1. I would love critique on 2 head structure drawings and 1 gesture drawing. My eye doesn't really notice much mistakes in these, so perhaps you can.

Assignment 2. I will critique 2 people I see post their stuff today. Either here or in PM to them.

Assignment 3. There are two links I would like to share for now. Both are pdf's I found on google:

Picture this - How pictures work by Molly Bang

I bought this book a while ago and it truelly is helpful. It tries to explain how composition and color use in images influence our emotions. She explains this by using basic shapes (triangles, squares, blobs, etc.). I find this source very useful when you're working on compositional drawings for landscapes or concept art and you want to send a message across. There are many guides out there that will probably tell you how to focus attention on a specific spot or how to draw certain landscapes in photoshop, but I haven't found many that really try to explain the underlying "trigger" that makes us feel a certain way when a composition is placed in a certain way.

You will find this link if you google on her book and pdf. http://steve.muratore.tripod.com/graphi ... e-this.pdf

Michael Hampton - Figure drawing design and invention

I also bought this book a while ago and it is my most favorite book. It has a clear structure to follow from gesture down the road to structure, anatomy, etc. For me it's the perfect reference book to fall back to when I watch videos from Vilppu or Steve Huston and I truelly love it. The anatomy refered in this book is probably very simple, but it comes across really well for beginner/intermediate people. Every muscle is explained in easy way and is colored so you can see how they position in comparison to other muscles in a group. A perfect "anchor" book if you ask me.

https://mangodrawingsatuni.files.wordpr ... ention.pdf

Awesome inspirational Deviantart:
http://tracyjb.deviantart.com/

Hope this was somewhat useful to you :-)
Last edited by Artenthusiast on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby azarga » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:58 am

azarga

That's what I see. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm by no means an expert on faces.

Spoiler: show
dddddd15gxds5.jpg
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Zegno » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Zegno

It's about 12:00 so It's my turn to put my weekly sketches in there.

Those are all the sketches I did during the week I resized to fit them into 2 pics.
I know it's not much and I didn't do any studies with references at all as planned, but there till should have things to point out in there.
Some poses looks off and the shapes of the heads are looking off as well to me. maybe something with the forehead and the cranium size.

I'll do the critiques on the forum later when there will be some more posts. ^^

For today's sharing artistic resource I wanted to recommend an artbook.
I'm sorry for not having any pdf to share though.

It's an Artbook of Joe Madureira dedicated to a video game he worked on called Darksiders.
I did it on ps3 a few years ago already and the disign was just so awesome I bought this artbook.

I took some pics of it to show you what it looks like.

as you can see, awesome design and incredible post-apocaliptics backgrounds.

Personally I find it really inspiring and I like it a lot. there is one con though.
It's an Udon book, that means the binding is kinda bad, and so the pages tend to fall.

I preodered it for 40$ back then, so it's also an affordable price imo.

Postby Artenthusiast » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Artenthusiast

Hey. I like how you add so much to your characters (head, gesture, figure, perspective, foreshortening). You can just see you got lots of ideas and show them.

A downside to this is that you have to focus on a lot at once. Each element alone can take months to get proficient at, let alone be an expert or even master! So my first advice is to give yourself some time to develop each of those parts on its own for a few months. Take 2 and give them a few months (1-2). Then switch it up!

For more specific feedback on the head I drew this simple skull in with structure.

It's rough and probably has some bumps, but you can check how lower part of the face (from eyebrow down) is larger than the forehead (obviously). It's devided in thirds. In your faces the forehead is almost as big as the entire downpart. I think that has to do with the fact that you want to respect the roundness of the skull. However, after the hairline there is only small part going up (as you can see on skully) before it goes pretty straight back. On some of your drawings you did that well, on others you didn't.

I think you could benefit from more structure lessons. Draw the skull a few times, pay attention to the length of the individual parts and try to respect that. I notice many of your faces are like a "mask" on top of the cranium, and Steve Huston's free lesson could help with this. I would also advice doing multiple timed head exercises: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... -practice/ . I advice to put it on "neutral" faces and do 5 minute drawings for an hour or so. Really focus on the structure.

There is more I could feedback on, cause your pictures are so rich in information, but I think this is the most important one.

Hope this was somewhat useful to you.

Postby Zegno » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Zegno

@ Artenthusiast

I'm a bit late with the schedule since I had to do my post at the same time as doing this critique haha.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying there is right but I hope it's still helpfull.

Postby Fugi » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Fugi

@ZEGNO
You take too much on your plate. You won't learn quickly this way. I'm lovin those perspective poses, very dynamic and interesting. My critique for ya:

My writing skills are a piece of shit though, so don't be mad!

Postby Fugi » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Fugi

Some of my stuff.

For inspirational stuff:
http://andreasrocha.deviantart.com/gallery/
Amazing artwork.

I forgot who showed me this, but its awesome

http://www.freshdesigner.com/figure-drawing-reference/

Postby oneiro » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:00 pm

oneiro

Postby Zegno » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Zegno

@ Όνειρο Ζω
The scooter and the plant on the window are really nice. ^^

One of the first things I can see is one of the most important in perspective drawing, and that’s following the vanishing point.

Well I think you get this one already by seeing your cubes but you really have to not forget to do it for all parallel lines. ^^

Next point is your road. As we can see you tilted it a bit like an U.
The thing is that roads are slightly tilted, but in the other way. This is to evacuate the water when it rains.

Also that fact that it’s rather flat to the left and more diagonally oriented to the right makes it look like the right building is higher.

And now comes a thing that literally jumped into my eyes when I first saw your drawing.
This is the placement of your doors and windows that doesn’t work.
Think of how is your building made inside to place them.
I mean, here your first floor can’t have any floor since it will go through the door at the ground floor and the window in the first.
I didn’t showed details but gave some usual measurement. Think of them as building proportions whenever you place windows and doors.

Now what I suggest you to train might be drawing from observation or photos. And trace vanishing points on photos. That should help you getting used to have all those parallel lines pointing to the same point and training your perspective view.

Also I suggest you google sketchup since it’s free and very simple to use.
You can place simple forms into space place your camera, and then export it into a pic. And that might proves itself useful.

Here is a thing I did with it. The tools are really simple to use, you should try it out.

Maybe some people already told you all this, I didn’t really followed the chat since about lunchtime. haha

Postby Zeroatz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:32 pm

Zeroatz

Sorry bout being slightly late, but here we go~!

Here is

ASSIGNMENT ONE
I'm just basically trying to draw a cool character with a cynical look and trying to play around with the lights.

Still trying to practice my rendering technique and along with values that I'm still not good at :(

This last one, I'm trying to create a dynamic angle picture that is used on my animation, panning from bottom to top.
I think the things i found out of place was basically the bloods and the lights, there might be more, but I couldn't find it yet :(
http://imgur.com/5wqkY09.jpg

ASSIGNMENT THREE
Honestly, I haven't found any sources that is incredibly useful. Since I'm practicing a lot with values, I find this video was pretty good and it gives some ideas regarding the illusion of shades and colours which I think would be useful to keep in mind while drawing. Basically this video, just show you how some colours will look darker than usual or lighter than usual when you put them around a darker or lighter colours source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZsGBp9GLE
A total Idiotic Dreamer :3
My DevianART / My SketchBook

Postby Fugi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Fugi

@Zeroatz

Did visual critique since I don't like words. Loving the first picture, scary stuff. I feel like you could've pulled the second off very well so I made some notes and an overpaint (with applied notes). I couldn't understand from where the light source coming from, since bottom of the nose is lit and the top of chin is also. Nevertheless keep going m8, doing great!

I hope this critique was at least tiny bit useful :).

Postby Artenthusiast » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Artenthusiast

I think the weekly assignment was a pretty decent succes :-). Don't forget to upload your assignments for next saturday! They are the same as this weeks, but just to help you remember:

Weekly assignments:
1. Upload 2-3 of your recent work for critiques at the time you were assigned to upload it (studies/sketches/finalized drawings, anything that you want feedback on).

2. Critique 2 other people during that day. Try not to "hoard" on one person. Try to spread it and change it up every week.

3. Share a source that you find really helpful, inspires you or that you simply love with the rest. Rules are that the source has to:

a) give appreciation to certain artists that you love and other people should check out;
b) has educational value that took you a while to find, a "hidden treasure";
c) has inspirational value to you in a specific field in art (think: concept, animation, illustrative, etc.)

It doesn't have to fit all three requirements, but the minimum is 1.

Postby Zegno » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Zegno

Today is saturday and here is my current drawing.

It's not even close to being finished but, that's what I'm doing

For the sharing part I was thinking about recommending this site for people who wants to buy books: http://www.bookdepository.com/
Simply because it has often really interressting prices and because it's also free worldwide shipping.
Just sharing some bargains today.
Btw I took this yesterday: http://www.bookdepository.com/Moleskine ... 8883701153

Postby lilla » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:50 pm

lilla

trying my best at giving a critique... so generally, I like the idea, you thought about all the perspectives, without analysing it exactly, it looks correct to me. Some things seem to lack a bit of depth, walls would be thicker I think - especially compared to objects like the table's thickness, the door on the extremely tilted wall would have a bit of visible depth as well - or the sliding door wall too, at least a tiny bit. The guy on the front has a too exaggerated distortion of body, his hip seems too small. Not sure if there is a railing in front of the two figures; but if yes, it seems very low.There stairs are well done!
Keep working on it, it looks seems to have a cool story going on! I hope this was helpful...

Untitled-2.jpg

Postby azarga » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:09 pm

azarga

I can't allow myself to skip two weeks in a row, so here goes nothing.

Boxes in perspective is pretty much the only thingI've been drawing this week, nothing more interesting to show, sorry!

DSC_0745.JPG

DSC_0746.JPG

I will give crit later today, and I hope my continuous work on cloud thingie counts as Resources part of saturday activity!
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby lilla » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:22 pm

lilla

More than once you "cut off" a bit at the end of the box, pay attention to that. Some boxes were not entirely on the perspective grid... and a few lines could be more sure =)

Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg

Postby FallenFox » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 am

FallenFox

1. I tried .-. Still trying to work on it - haven't learned face anatomy - was focusing on skull/proportions
rsz_withreference.jpg

2. I don't really have any knowledge for this so this is purely based off of the visual aspect - might want to research more/talk to others
rsz_mysk2ut.jpg

3. Haven't used the site yet and it's for photo editing/ photoshop, but there's some interesting pictures that could spark your imagination http://www.worth1000.com/

Postby Zeroatz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:16 am

Zeroatz

ASSIGNMENT ONE
Coincidentally hahaha I been working on perspective mostly this week as well
This is a background I drew for my animation project, haven't got any colours in thou :(
I created this in 6000x6000 pixel so this one here is like a size down version of it.

@FallenFox
Hmm I'm still learning when in comes to values, but here is something I found bit odd bout your sketch :)

Hmmm the third part, I don't really have much in this section.
I'll link one of my favourite artist of all time, tknk http://tknk.deviantart.com/
His drawings are amazingly beautiful :D
A total Idiotic Dreamer :3
My DevianART / My SketchBook

Postby azarga » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:29 pm

azarga

Hello.

I won't be able to upload at my scheduled time, so a bit earlier.
It's boxes again, nothing interesting. Except the fact that I had to resume the count back from 80 'cause I want consistency in numbers in that notebook.

DSC_0744.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Zeroatz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Zeroatz

Time for uploading assignments

ASSIGNMENT ONE
Here are something I been working this week,

Some random practices drawings :)

and some animation work I have been working