Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:25 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Subject title: A beginners sketchbook.

My name (in the forum aleast) Its AlwaysAbeginner, i am 18 years old and live in Brazil, i started drawing about a year ago and got one month and a half then i stopped x.x and now i started again, so some drawings are old and others new, and the reason i thought that maybe posting this with so little skill its a good idea its because i can barely find people with little experience in forums showing their arts and asking critiques. I started drawing because i doing treatment of depression and others problem, so i went after things that i had some interest on (I already passed by music, writing and developing simple games, all of them i learned by myself) I always have the tendency to stop and coming back on those hobbies and i would like to stay with this new one for a long time; so yeah, sorry about bad art, bad english and bad knowledge in forums as a whole, its all new to me and any critique on these topics would be more than welcome.
And my resources in the moment are: Pencil 2b, paper, eraser, charcoal and a tablet that my brother bought for his work.
well, i don't know what exactly i should post, but here ya go.
(I decided that i wanna try to be a artist professionally, but as anyone can see i have a very, very, very, very long road to walk, so CRITIQUE CRITIQUE AND CRITIQUE, thanks in advance).

GPortrait2.jpg
This one i started copying a image, then i gave up and went rogue.

Barriga (2).jpg
I tried to do value study (saw on sycra on a critique video) it was the first time i did and also the first time i tried to do something more "serious" on a tablet.

zface2.jpg

Body 4.jpg

Weird 1.jpg

Horse 3.jpg

Zalda.jpg

Body 3.jpg

Welp... thats it. Again sorry for the bad english, always read it but never really wrote.
Depending on how this will go i shall post more, i hope that this will help for me to stay drawing and that as time pass you guys can see the improvement of a noob in art. =D
Last edited by AlwaysAbeginner on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here most of my arts pepz ^^
revadahk.artstation.com
See you space cowboy '-'/

Postby PitE » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:04 am

PitE

I started to do art to fill a void in my life :P I learned that art is cool though ;) Good sketchbook so far! Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:01 am

AlwaysAbeginner

Thanks PitE x.x Creativity helps alot in life, i'll try to post regularly :D

I planned to put this drawing with the post but i forgot. ^^

Mulher vestido.jpg
My first digital drawing
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby WarriorSlime » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:16 am

WarriorSlime

your works not bad. Keep working on improving. The way it looks you're about were I was at about a year and a half ago(Not saying i'm good, but I have improved imo) Keep working at it, U have some great work here.

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:32 am

AlwaysAbeginner

Thanks man, i am putting a good amount of hours in practicing ^^ and now i am starting to research some books and vids about anatomy of the human body to get better at drawing humans and also trying to understand values, wich its very challenging. ;p
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby Vixie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:05 am

Vixie

Hi there, welcome to the forums! =) You have some nice pictures here, and only after 2 months of practicing, that´s nice =) Hope drawing will help you to feel better, keep going! =)
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:27 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Thanks vixie ^^ It is good to participate of a forum, never really shared the things i do, its nice having a place to look at other artist drawings and show my own. Saw your drawings too, i liked a lot of the "selfie-portrait" that you did :D
I'll try to post something everyday if possible, so here some more.

Since i'm new to this i don't really know what to study, i watched some videos and other things and thought that maybe studying skeletons would be a good start for human body (seems a obvious start, at least for me) don't know if i am losing my time and should jump to muscle and proportions, a opnion from you guys would be great.

d2d.jpg
Copying some skeletons just to understand the basics.

d 2001.jpg
Trying to draw on my own.

afafa2 001.jpg
Here its a randon portrait that i did two days ago.

Again some opnions and critique would be great, trying to find out what i need to improve and what path to choose for practice, there so much choices of things to learn and that just confuses me x.x;
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby Steeliebob » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Steeliebob

You got the right idea with your skeletons. Make sure to check your proportions. You drew the legs very short on some of them.

Since you don't know where to start for learning to draw the body I'll give you this link:
https://archive.org/details/loomis_FIGURE_draw

Keep up the practice!

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:38 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Yeah i noticed the legs problem x.x haha i will read the book and use it for my practice, thanks for the quick response and the tip ^^
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:55 am

AlwaysAbeginner

Well, more drawings ^^

asdasd.jpg
the huge boots are supossed to fix on the ground for the body stay on position, like those spikes to hunt boar from medieval times .-. its just a ideia, so chooo ;-;

asdsadasd.jpg

asd.jpg

GPortrait.jpg
i don't copy much drawings, normally i create everything from mind but here ya go some Ezio ^^
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am

AlwaysAbeginner

Here some studies i did with skelletons and figure drawing;
asd 001.jpg

sadasd 001.jpg

asd 002.jpg

dsff 001.jpg

sd 002.jpg

sd 001.jpg

asas.jpg

Aaand two randowns pages:
sad 001.jpg

dsfdf 001.jpg

I drawing more and more on paper but for some reason i feel uncomfortable on the tablet D= I need to learn how to paint x.x well for now thats that :)
And i'm looking up alot of artist to find inspiration and just learn more about art world, does anyone have some artist who paint enviroments and characters for me to look up?
For now my favorites are Alex negrea (Saw it on a Sycra interview, he was the one who made me start drawing :D) and Craig Mullins who its fuckintastic;
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby tazza_t_bear » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:40 am

tazza_t_bear

This is going to sound odd... but I really like your hip bone drawings in the post above. Something about them seems to have a lot of pizzazz! :)

Postby SuperArtNinja » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:03 am

SuperArtNinja
Location: Sylvarant (Applause to those who knows what that is.)

I'm likin' it so far! If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to expand your value scale a little on your shaded pieces. Get some darker darks and lighter lights. It'll really help your pieces pop! Good job, keep it up! :D
My Sketchbook thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16887

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:44 am

AlwaysAbeginner

Yeah tazza_t_bear i take proud of my hips ;) hahaha jk; i thought that studying skeletons would be boring, but its pretty fun knowing the names and how every bone interact with another, anyway thanks for the compliment =D
SuperArtNinja i don't really know what i am doing in this drawings in relation with value haha i trying to learn but for some reason i have some kinda of laziness towards it, i hope to get alot better, just need to take a little more serious ;p thanks for the advice, its always welcome, as a begginer its hard to know where you really need improvement x.x
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby Steeliebob » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:23 am

Steeliebob

It's great seeing you practice this hard, You are improving already.

I did a quick drawing to show you how the ribcage and pelvis are actually at an angle and how the spine has more of a S-shape to it. I think you can improve your skeletons by taking that into account. :) I pushed mine a bit to far maybe but that's to get the point across. :P

Keep up the good work!
123.jpg

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:04 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Thanks Steeliebob, i trying to do my best x.x I'm reading the book that you recommend me and its really helping in simple things, and i am also having a little taste of perspective ;p there so much things to look in it that its hard to contain not going after everything x.x but i am focussing and hoping to get the hang of the human body. I had noticed that the spine its more of a S shape, but still i keep forgeting/not doing it, i need to look more bone by bone, going after the whole body make me do some mistakes x.x i will improve that, thanks for taking the time to show me ;p everyone in the forum its pretty cool ^^ didn't think it would be this nice in here hahaha i am happy that i tried out :D
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby Lunknown » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:48 am

Lunknown

Great studies so far! You're definitely on the right track.

You should check out the youtuber Proko. He does amazing anatomy videos. Especially look into Loomis' method of drawing heads; Proko did a video on it if that's what you prefer. Someone recommended it to me and it completely me understand the form of the head a lot better. Try to add a larger range of values in your finished work too.
~Lunknown, 16 year old aspiring artist
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12857

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:43 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

I watched one or two videos from Proko and i can see that he tackle anatomy in a lot of videos, but they all seem small, but i'll still watch and take the most out of them. For now mostly i am reading books from Loomis to understanding body and its awesome what a few observations can do to your drawings :D the value thingy i'm still working on it, i need to study and understand better values, shadow, light and eventually color then i'll be able to really finish my drawings ;p thanks for the tips Lunknown ^^
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:29 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Another value study ^^ slowly i am starting doing more value/digital art
Laranja value.jpg
its supossed to be two oranges ;p and is very light because the image that i used was light as well.
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:17 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Here more studies and random drawings;

sdf 001.jpg

sad 001.jpg

Eskeleto study.jpg

asd 001.jpg

Horsito.jpg
A study from the book "Drawing on the right side of the brain", basically the premisse its to copy the image upside down.

dsf 001.jpg

Gorila.jpg
The first drawing that I colored, i'll probably draw a scenery, so its unfinish.

zsd 001.jpg
I was having a difficult time drawing poses, so i drew alot in 1/2 minutes, they are all bad -.-

sd 001.jpg
This is the new poses i did after practice, its not perfect but i think i've improved :D

0 001.jpg
Last edited by AlwaysAbeginner on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:39 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

I have a little question that would help me alot if someone responded ;p should i learn perspective? i'm new and for now i am learning anatomy and value, but i don't know if i should already go after some books or videos about it, because i don't know nothing about perspective, not even foreshortening i can do, everytime i try it goes awful ;p should i? or its better focus on anatomy? x.x thanks in advance o/
revadahk.artstation.com

Postby Vixie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Vixie

I would say that perspective is one of the fundamental things in drawing and sooner or later you will have to look at it... and I´m getting to conclusion with my studies, that it´s probably better to learn basics first, because if you don´t know these, a lot of things become a guess-game =) but hey, if it will only make you confused, then finish anatomy and figure first and then go for perspective =)
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Steeliebob » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 am

Steeliebob

Hi there! Perspective is pretty hard (if you'd ask me) but you'll be better of learning to construct in perspective up to a decent level, before adding value. First figure out your shape and only than figure out where to put the shadows.

For a book, this one should be very good but it does focus in vehicle design. Rules of perspective don't change if you move to landscape or character.

Postby Moe » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:39 am

Moe

Perspective is arguably the most important foundation skill in art. Therefore, it is EXTREMELY important to learn perspective. You don't need to become a master in perspective but make sure you have an understanding of 1 point perspective, 2 point perspective and 3 point perspective.

Here are some helpful links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIuNehjFmUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCW9D2GytHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmSg_F4P5yU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHRReALvVc

I would recommend understanding gesture and perspective before you attempt studying anatomy or values or color. Once you have an solid understanding of perspective and anatomy you will be able to draw the human figure from dynamic angles using no ref.

Postby AlwaysAbeginner » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:59 pm

AlwaysAbeginner

Then i think i'll go after some books/videos and learn perspective, but i'll probably learn enough to assist me in anatomy and value, and when i get to the point that i am confortable with anatomy i'll study perspective more diligently ;p i am focusing in anatomy and color because i want to draw characters and monster/animals, and everywhere they say to draw what you like x.x so i'll study some perspective before give all my time to anatomy and value/color and see what comes from it ^^ Thanks y'all, it really helped :D
revadahk.artstation.com

Next

Return to Sketchbook