This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:21 am

Ambiguity

Subject title: We Need Challenge Themes!

Total100 wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Total100 wrote:sexy.... cuz why not

'Cause Waveloop is sure to win, that's why not XD.

i dont care who wins... lol, i just want the topic O.O

Not really, I'll think about it.

sgtmikey101 wrote:megaevolution pokemon!

Not sure about this one, I kinda don't wanna see a bunch of fanart. I think it's more helpful if you have to try to come up with interesting ideas basically from scratch.

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 am

Snakebreath

I like vague topics, as they make the entries all very different xD so here are some from me

Empty Earth
The Fallout
Empire
Nature
Alien Planet
Sky
Elemental
Awakening
The Flood

I may post more later xD

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 pm

sgtmikey101

Ambiguity wrote:
Total100 wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Total100 wrote:sexy.... cuz why not

'Cause Waveloop is sure to win, that's why not XD.

i dont care who wins... lol, i just want the topic O.O

Not really, I'll think about it.

sgtmikey101 wrote:megaevolution pokemon!

Not sure about this one, I kinda don't wanna see a bunch of fanart. I think it's more helpful if you have to try to come up with interesting ideas basically from scratch.

yeah true lol. I was just caught in the hype of the new trailer for the new poke manz game. On a more serious note:

The big city
Awaiting your rival
under the sea
a whole new world
food with attitude
zombie objects
Dystopian Society
the perfect action hero
parallel worlds
mundane objects made fun
your life as an animated movie
caricatures of someone you dislike (no one personal, more so celebrities)
A life as a toy
skydiving with style
dinousaurs in a western film
zombies in space
space pirates
your art teacher
making a whole lot of something out of nothing
(using a random line/shape) make a detailed picture off of that
your own logo for a fastfood restaurant
a mascot for the forums
motivation
still life of whats around your computer/workspace
anatomy of a creature of your choice
space ship design
a baseball game
redesign of any box art from the 90's
cityscape
samurai in the city
a crazy scientist
sycra as a super hero
imaginary friends
creepy people
your definition of work
the great outdoors
fast food made fun
dreams

Postby Happy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Happy

sgtmikey101 I think a toy theme would be amazing, toy story inspired artwork >:D
"You are who you choose to be"
Character Creation Challenge: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7540

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:19 am

sgtmikey101

Happy wrote:sgtmikey101 I think a toy theme would be amazing, toy story inspired artwork >:D

Lol thank you thank you. It'd be cool to see people pull influences from the toys in their house and give life into them.

Postby Alkan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Alkan

Good topics seem to be ones that are somewhat ambiguous but have some vague story or design elements that give the mind a grip and immediately conjures up some image. Here are a few ideas I have:

Environments:
The Frozen Pass
The Crimson Grove (you could reverse the descriptors, so Frozen Grove and Crimson Pass, both of those conjure up plenty of colorful images for me)
Long-Forgotten Fortress
The Graveyard
Shining River
Highlands Castle
Temple of the Elemental Gods
The Chasm

Characters:
Ancient Necromancer (i.e. necromancer who has lived indefinitely by sucking the life out of things, arrogantly cackles about being immortal)
The Juggernaut (with the added context of it being a nickname given to a seemingly unstoppable warrior of ancient times)
The Fool
Cyborg Zombie (think human infested with robotic "organisms")
The mysterious stranger from The Masque of the Red Death

Creatures:
Iron Dragon
Gas Giant Predator (imagine life that lives in the atmospheres of gas giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn and floats around using buoyancy and needs some ballast to keep stable)
Feathered horror (nickname given to some nightmarish, dangerous feathered creature, perhaps from the depths of hell)
Festering monstrosity
Summit Dragon (lives in high altitudes, well above 13,000 feet. Think of the Tibetan Plateau).

Scenes:
The Return (this is inspired by a painting of the same name by Arnold Bocklin)
Victory at Last
The Gathering of the Last Army
The Council of Elders
The Burial
The Great Conflagration
The Plague

As you might tell, I have a taste for blood, devastation, death war and horror, with a man who speaks in anagrams, of course.
Last edited by Alkan on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sketchbook/running artistic history: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7609

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Ambiguity

Cool ideas(only "Golden River" reminds me of pee lol), they sound like good song names too :D.

Postby Alkan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 pm

Alkan

Ambiguity wrote:Cool ideas(only "Golden River" reminds me of pee lol), they sound like good song names too :D.

Lmao that's not a good connotation! :lol: Just changed it.

Anyways, I do look forward to seeing the next competition up. Hoping it opens up Friday when I'll get some time to work on it.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Ambiguity

Sorry man, you're going to be disappointed; we closed the OWC for the winter because no one was entering.

Postby Alkan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 am

Alkan

Ambiguity wrote:Sorry man, you're going to be disappointed; we closed the OWC for the winter because no one was entering.

Lol I have a few ideas.

Advertisements for the section (I didn't realize this section was here for quite a while after coming in) and official profile recognition for winning. You'll get more people if they have some prize to win. Also, maybe more time than a week?

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:51 am

Ambiguity

Alkan wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:Sorry man, you're going to be disappointed; we closed the OWC for the winter because no one was entering.

Lol I have a few ideas.

Advertisements for the section (I didn't realize this section was here for quite a while after coming in) and official profile recognition for winning. You'll get more people if they have some prize to win. Also, maybe more time than a week?

When I asked the other members what they thought about closing for the winter, they all agreed it was probably for the best. A lot of them have school, so they can't be as active as they were in the summer(we were getting over 10 entries in the summer, but like 3 max towards the start of fall).

As for your ideas, besides maybe the advertising, I can't provide the other stuff. Again though, I don't think the problem was incentive or missing the forum, I think people just got busy.

Postby Alkan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:25 am

Alkan

Ambiguity wrote:
Alkan wrote:

Lol I have a few ideas.

When I asked the other members what they thought about closing for the winter, they all agreed it was probably for the best. A lot of them have school, so they can't be as active as they were in the summer(we were getting over 10 entries in the summer, but like 3 max towards the start of fall).

As for your ideas, besides maybe the advertising, I can't provide the other stuff. Again though, I don't think the problem was incentive or missing the forum, I think people just got busy.

Instead of closing for the winter, we could just have monthly, bi-weekly or tri-weekly competitions. That way every time someone gets busy (like me, I'm studying physics lol) there may still be a clear time to make up for it.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 am

Ambiguity

Alkan wrote:Instead of closing for the winter, we could just have monthly, bi-weekly or tri-weekly competitions. That way every time someone gets busy (like me, I'm studying physics lol) there may still be a clear time to make up for it.

viewtopic.php?p=21246#p21246
viewtopic.php?p=22885#p22885
viewtopic.php?p=30118#p30118
viewtopic.php?p=32272#p32272
Scroll down on each of these for the entire conversation.

It's all been talked about before, I go off of what the majority votes since the challenges I run with the other mods(i.e the "Official Weekly Challenge") was a community driven project, The Arena only exists because everyone wanted to enter a competition and/or challenge. Like I said in one of those topics, if we did increase the deadlines I'd want it to stay that way, I don't want to be flip-flopping back and forth every 6 months between weekly and monthly(I'd have to change the name of the challenges too).

Postby alnoth » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:13 am

alnoth

yeah, thats what i gathered too. theres no goal to get an awesome comeptition section going - cause for once, its tough on the mods to always be on time and run these things. it was just a thing for the people who come to the forums anyway and wanted to do something different than post their own stuff and crit others. so they just threw together some topics and had a little competition - mostly winning just bragging rights. if theres no interest from within the forum, then theres no competition. i dont think anyone here has the ambition, willpower and the time to run a grand competition section.

but hey, if you think itd be good, do it yourself! after all, all it takes is just to start a thread, explain the rules, and off you go...

Postby Shiroi Akuma » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Shiroi Akuma

Ambiguity wrote:Cool ideas(only "Golden River" reminds me of pee lol), they sound like good song names too :D.

If it's about pee, then it's called golden shower.

My contribution:
Sexy giantess destroying Atlantide
Ps: I like your signature!

Postby ChrisiA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am

ChrisiA

What about "The Bakery" like a little rustic shop or "Mercants' Street" or "The Reapir Shop" with all the cool gadgets and stuff :D

Postby RukuKabe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:54 am

RukuKabe

Dragons
Undead
Wizards
Parkour
Agent
Sea Beasts
Prehistoric (fantasy or historical)
Samurai
Viking/Nordic
Industrial Revolution
War of Independence with Fantasy
Sci-Fi Gang Wars

Would try and think of more but lack of sleep is a persistent little bugger. T_T
“何か良いことでもあったのかい。”
−忍野メメ、傷物語

Postby Zearthus » Sun May 04, 2014 12:54 am

Zearthus

Would be cool if there is a weekly anatomy challenge? No? Yes?
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby fleur » Wed May 07, 2014 6:03 pm

fleur

brianhermelijn wrote:Would be cool if there is a weekly anatomy challenge? No? Yes?

Would be cool imo
21-F-England

Postby Ambiguity » Thu May 08, 2014 1:14 am

Ambiguity

One of you could always start one if you want it. We're approaching summer so I'm sure more people will join now.

Postby Skyris » Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 am

Skyris

It'll be cool if this whole challenge thing comes back :C If not i might need to go look for them elsewhere

Postby Ambiguity » Wed May 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Ambiguity

Skyris wrote:It'll be cool if this whole challenge thing comes back :C If not i might need to go look for them elsewhere

I know I should bring it back, but I suck at keeping up with it, and it's usually just me doing it with the occasional helping hand from virtueone, but it's been so long I don't know if he even wants to help lol.

If i did bring it back, would anyone be apposed to me changing it to bi-weekly? I ask because 1) It makes it less crazy if I miss one day between picking a winner and starting the next contest, 2) more people can enter because there is more time to complete their entry, and 3) we don't run out of challenges as quickly. I did originally decide on weeklys to get people drawing more often(well that, and that's what the majority at the time wanted), but there are enough challenges and competitions in the Arena now that I don't think that'll be a problem anymore. There have been other arguments made for the weekly challenges(see here:1, 2), but I personally feel the benefits of bi-weekly are better for everyone.

Postby Archon » Wed May 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Archon

More challenges only mean good to the forum :P =D

Bi weekly is perfect if you ask me; I was thinking of making the CC biweekly as well but I have no problem with posting topics etc so that people decide which one to work on; So there`s no point of making the CC bi weekly.

Character Creation challenge with winners and voting is a different story; So I agree with Ambiguity on this.

Postby fleur » Wed May 14, 2014 4:31 pm

fleur

If it's going to be a contest, I also think it'd be better to be biweekly; 1) more entries 2) better quality entries :)
21-F-England

Postby virtueone » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 pm

virtueone

I haven't contributed much lately, but would love to see this reopened. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to The Arena