This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby Salix » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:28 am

Salix

Subject title: What do you think of this?

Oh kai..

I mentioned before about a pretty cool idea of sort of doing roleplay, however instead of writing anything you'd draw it. It could be finished work, traditional, sketches, whatever you wanted. It sounds pretty cool but I was having a hard time decided what to do, I didn't want to do exactly like the one I participated in before. Which was a world where you'd advance through the story with each boss you killed, I thought that would be a bit boring and not creative enough..

But, what about with each character they have their own world? Of course when you start off your world is blank, or maybe as like one or two items in it. The idea is that through interactions with other characters or perhaps villians/bas guys, your world would evolve and advance. I thought that would be cool..
Another idea sprouting from that would be like if you had a best friend, but you guys started getting into a fight, every item that was from them in your world would get twisted or broken, you know?

So, what do you guys think? I'll go into more details on it after I see if people are even interested.

Postby Vixie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:03 am

Vixie

so... how it would work? like everybody would have their own story or would it be one large universe where we would interact and so?
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Salix » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Salix

Vixie wrote:so... how it would work? like everybody would have their own story or would it be one large universe where we would interact and so?

It would kinda be like a multiverse and one big universe, yes there are some things that will stay the same with everyone, but I'm not forcing them all within the same scene. So everyone will have variation to their story, and that's okay. The only way I can explain it better would be to explain what TLOJ was like.

First the person would give a small story about the world they were in, give maps, information about each race, how they normally interacted with each other, ect, ect.

Then they would give the first chapter: Image
If you have access to this, even though it was the same story everyone has their own varriation https://www.paigeeworld.com/feed/tag/ch1p1

I hoped this cleared it up a bit.. If everyone wanted to have the same worlds then there can be multiple worlds with different stuff in it like servers, but if they want something like a multiverse of the same world, then that is do able too. It was mainly to be creative with a loose storyline and having every character as the main character.

Postby Icyhands » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:37 am

Icyhands

Sounds interesting. I'm not quite clear on the mechanics though… So you're saying you would act as a moderator/gamesmaster and create a basic world and everyone would create their own character within that, and the world would be developed by the participants as they went along? Or, everyone does their own thing, but the characters/worlds interact in some way?
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9681 DA - http://icyhands.deviantart.com

'the hell are you reading this? You should be drawing!

Postby Salix » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:31 am

Salix

Icyhands wrote:Sounds interesting. I'm not quite clear on the mechanics though… So you're saying you would act as a moderator/gamesmaster and create a basic world and everyone would create their own character within that, and the world would be developed by the participants as they went along? Or, everyone does their own thing, but the characters/worlds interact in some way?

The later. It's mainly for creativity, not for moderating. : 3

Postby KaeEle » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:25 pm

KaeEle

I'd be interested in participating if/when this starts up. It seems very similar to an RP in that everyone is creating their own character within a set of circumstances, but I like that it's much more free-form in how you can manipulate your particular story. And you get to draw too~~ (Does that description sound at all accurate?)

It all sounds pretty great to me. Let me know when this gets a lift off! :D

Postby femarot » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:48 pm

femarot

I'm in!, love this kind of things. Someone have to put some rules in this before we start
Just an art student, with the wish of become a good artist someday. I invite you to see my work and progress here:
http://femarot.deviantart.com/

Postby innyara » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 pm

innyara

I love so much the idea! if you do it I'm totally in.
Although I'm a newbie on roleplaying but it looks interesting and useful to practice x3
19-F-Spain
Love kitties and drawing >o<
Sketchbook http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17153

Postby AcidicCity » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:34 am

AcidicCity

Though my art isnt the best I do have some experience with rpgs and I love it, I'd be more then happy to join in!

Postby FallenFox » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:52 am

FallenFox

Sounds like a ton of fun :) I'd be in to try it out for a little while

Postby z4m97 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:52 pm

z4m97

i dont really understand it.... but FTW im in! :D

Postby Steamrider » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Steamrider

I would be interested in participating! Character design and story telling is one of my favorite things.

Postby femarot » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

femarot

So, who's going to start? I don't want to, I'm afraid to do it wrong
Just an art student, with the wish of become a good artist someday. I invite you to see my work and progress here:

Postby KaeEle » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:44 pm

KaeEle

I thought since Salix had the idea in the first place, they could. But it doesn't seem like they've been on the forums recently, and I'm not sure when they will. Maybe after the holidays they'll be back?

Just a guess.

Postby Salix » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:12 pm

Salix

OMG I'M SO SORRY!
I DISAPPEARED! But Salix is back now!

I'm sorry I ended up putting this on hold, before I left only a couple people were interested, however
I'll quickly try to start this thing.. I GUESS!! O-O!!!

Please forgive the silly Salix v.v

Postby KaeEle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:35 pm

KaeEle

Just a quick question for clarification, are we gonna keep it on Sycra Forums, and if so, would it be in this thread or a new one?

Sorry if these questions are dumb...I'm just excited, I guess. Hmm...

Postby Salix » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:35 pm

Salix

KaeEle wrote:Just a quick question for clarification, are we gonna keep it on Sycra Forums, and if so, would it be in this thread or a new one?

No that's a super good question, and it was something I was thinking about while designing my character. I feel like if we did end up putting it on here there would be so many threads seeing how I was thinking it would be like.. a thread each person, they have their own stories and interactions.. it's sort of like visiting that world when you go to that thread.

Long story short.. Even if we did it somewhere else, where would it even be? I would think deviant art but that would be one big group, and not everyone would have an account (or is a fan of it).

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:45 pm

z4m97

Salix wrote:
KaeEle wrote:Just a quick question for clarification, are we gonna keep it on Sycra Forums, and if so, would it be in this thread or a new one?

No that's a super good question, and it was something I was thinking about while designing my character. I feel like if we did end up putting it on here there would be so many threads seeing how I was thinking it would be like.. a thread each person, they have their own stories and interactions.. it's sort of like visiting that world when you go to that thread.

Long story short.. Even if we did it somewhere else, where would it even be? I would think deviant art but that would be one big group, and not everyone would have an account (or is a fan of it).

i think it would be ok to have it here if we have a core thread where we post all the links to everyone's posts.... just sayin'

Postby Salix » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Salix

z4m97 wrote:
Salix wrote:

i think it would be ok to have it here if we have a core thread where we post all the links to everyone's posts.... just sayin'

So what you are saying is that we'd have a core thread to link to everyone else's threads, however we put the "roleplay" threads in another place like Sketchbook..? (I personally think that one is the best, because yes technically this can be some form of a sketchbook).

Postby z4m97 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:33 pm

z4m97

yeh basically

Postby Valkhira » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Valkhira

I believe something like that would need a sub-forum of itself, honestly. I haven't done any role-play in person, but I've been all of my life roleplaying on forums and I can tell you it would get very messy without a place created for it. But it would be weird to see a "roleplay" subforum here, kinda out of place. Anyway, that would be a question for the mods to answer (or Sycra himself).

There could also be problems with time: Would we need to do a drawing each day? Would people who can't be too active fall behind on the group action? The best thing to do in regards to that would be to find a way to incorporate everyone into the action when they're here and can draw, no matter how active or not they are.
That actually reminds me of the theme of a moba (like Heroes of the Storm and League of Legends): Characters from another worlds, with their own personal stories and relationships with other characters, are called to maps (that could be dungeons) to fight between each other (which could be that or fight against bosses, do other missions, or just explore other worlds).

That might be a good way to incorporate really different characters with different worlds into one (or parts of many), with us being their "summoners" and drawing them into the maps/dungeons in which the action takes place in each time (weekly, monthly, depends). People who fall appart on the big events could just go "afk" if they need to, and draw moments of their past or present in their own worlds, or another character's world.

But those are just some ideas. I really like role-playing, so if I can be of any help to make this work, count me the freack in, guys ^^
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby femarot » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:12 pm

femarot

please don't let this idea die! I want it to become a fact

Postby Menokokoro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Menokokoro

Valkhira wrote:I believe something like that would need a sub-forum of itself, honestly. I haven't done any role-play in person, but I've been all of my life roleplaying on forums and I can tell you it would get very messy without a place created for it. But it would be weird to see a "roleplay" subforum here, kinda out of place. Anyway, that would be a question for the mods to answer (or Sycra himself).

There could also be problems with time: Would we need to do a drawing each day? Would people who can't be too active fall behind on the group action? The best thing to do in regards to that would be to find a way to incorporate everyone into the action when they're here and can draw, no matter how active or not they are.
That actually reminds me of the theme of a moba (like Heroes of the Storm and League of Legends): Characters from another worlds, with their own personal stories and relationships with other characters, are called to maps (that could be dungeons) to fight between each other (which could be that or fight against bosses, do other missions, or just explore other worlds).

That might be a good way to incorporate really different characters with different worlds into one (or parts of many), with us being their "summoners" and drawing them into the maps/dungeons in which the action takes place in each time (weekly, monthly, depends). People who fall appart on the big events could just go "afk" if they need to, and draw moments of their past or present in their own worlds, or another character's world.

But those are just some ideas. I really like role-playing, so if I can be of any help to make this work, count me the freack in, guys ^^

THIS gives me ideas, if I were running it. I'm not sure what the status for this RPG idea is, but I'm really excited to try something like this. I'd run it, but I have nowhere near enough time to put that much thought and effort into organizing things.

That being said, these are my thoughts on this idea:

First, I think this is an excelent idea, love anything roleplaying. But I think, since there is a lot of time required to think about the actions of the characters, drawing the event/characters etc., it shouldn't be limited to one person's core story, or moderation. Basically, there should be one person who keeps things organized, on the 'core' forum, as said before, this would be where everyone has their character information linked to the forum, and maybe listed on the host's first post, after being approved for the rules created. After that, someone can do a 'call to arms', finding the 'right people for the job', contact those people he/she needs/wants for their skirmish or what have you, then THAT person runs their own little game.

Second, and I kind of mentioned this in the first, there needs to be a set of rules for people to follow when creating their characters, otherwise some wise guy (I'll admit that I almost started doing it for this idea) creates a character that literally can't be beaten, we can't allow that. I get that this is just for creativity's sake, so if it works for the 'villain' or if it would be an interesting story element, you could allow it...that'd be up to the mod...I'm just putting my thoughts down.

Anyway, there's more to make that better floating around in my head, but I'm too busy, and they are incomplete thought...I'll probably end up finishing them, I overthink everything I'm excited about. Anyway, I hope this helps make this a reality! I want to work on this more...but...I...can't....Bah!

Postby AntaresValdemar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 pm

AntaresValdemar

You could have multiple narratives running at once, like a pulp fiction type of deal, and just post updates in your own sketchbook with a tagging system.

So for example if artists 1 and 2 are having a conversation in a certain part of the RPG universe, and artists 3 and 4 are doing a quest together in another part of the same universe, each post pertaining to the conversation could be tagged "RPG narrative A", and each post pertaining to the quest could be tagged "RPG narrative B" etc (just using those tags as example placeholders).

Every time someone contributes, they post the drawing in their own sketchbook then update the master thread with the narrative tag and the link to that drawing. The first post of the master thread could serve as a constantly updated contents page. That way if someone wanted to read and/or contribute to ONLY the quest narrative, they could skim through every update in the master thread with the "narrative B" tag at the top, following the links to the participants' sketchbooks to follow the story.

On the other hand, someone following the whole thread would be treated to a variety of narratives. Newcomers could pick a narrative to drop into, or start their own tag, in effect hosting their own new scene. The master thread could contain guidelines for introducing a new character/ narrative, and overarching descriptions of the game universe, to get people started.

[Disclaimer: Never done anything like this before so no idea if it would actually work. In my head it seems like it would, though it's certainly not as clean as having a dedicated subforum but I think it could also be kind of cool hunting for new narrative updates in people's sketchbooks or is that just me yes I'm weird anyway just putting my thoughts out there bye.]

Return to The Arena