This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:19 pm

supremeleaderbobo

Subject title: hey...competition? anybody? in 2019?

hiya! so i just joined this forum like a couple of weeks ago or so, and from what i hear, things have kind of cooled down.

even so, i think this forum is just super super awesome altogether, and people are definitely still posting to their sketchbooks and the occasional critiques, so i know there are a pretty consistent number of people on the forum, even if it isn't what i hear it used to be.

to the point, then: i think the arena is a super super good idea and a super good place for people to step out of their drawing comfort zone and more importantly, be challenged. i'm just a forum newbie, but if anyone wants to start up a competition or something, i'm totally in! you can message me or something, i dunno how it works... anyways, keep drawing and stuf :D
hey man you like drawing wow crazy me too what are the odds wow small world wow

Postby fi_le » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:37 am

fi_le

Yeah, you're right. I don't think I've ever participated in a contest, even back when I started there wasn't that much Arena activity. That said, I would join a contest, too! Anyone else interested?
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Josephcow » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Josephcow

I would maybe give it a shot. You'll basically have to recruit people. unfortunately the forum is not booming these days.

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 am

ErnieTheMighty

Sycra needs to give this forum a shoutout again. :3

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 am

supremeleaderbobo

maybe if we all send him angry emails @ErnieTheMighty. yeah, that seems to be the way it is to me too, but i feel like at least a handful of people would join. i'm totally down if you're down @fi_le.

Postby svarn » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:30 pm

svarn

Heh got kind of excited for a moment and then I remember I don't have time to do this >_<

To be honest I'd recommend joining some discord groups and try challanges there. Those communities are much more active nowadays.
Ernie has put effort into making these challanges in the past, only for them to have like 2 or 3 entries, or sometimes they were dragging on much longer then intended cuz people were not participating.

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:48 pm

supremeleaderbobo

oh ok, do you know any good discords for that? do you mean discords that are under particular artists by chance? i've heard of ahmed aldoori's discord as a really really good place to learn.

Postby svarn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:49 pm

svarn

In general the best discord groups are usually invite only. So you gotta somehow make art friends first. It's kind of like looking for a job, everyone wants to hire a guy with 5 years experience, so you can't get the experience to get hired. :?

There are a lot of huge open discord servers, which can be pretty fun. They often have critique sections and various activities like challanges. That beeing said there are sooo many people that those servers tend to be really impersonal. It's difficult to make actuall friends there, due to sheer amount of people. There usually are couple people that are super active, so you'll remember them, but all the other people will get drowned. So within a week you'll have hard time remembering whom did you even talk to.

I don't really know which ones are alive and well, but there used to be big communities for Artgerm, Ross Tran, Sakimichan, Modern Day James, Shilin and there are probably dozens of others. You can also just google discord art servers. There were several art servers that started here on the forums, but I don't know if any of them are still alive.

One thing to note is that for the most part the artists that own the servers are never there. So obviously don't expect to have Artgerm for example jump into random chats. But hey, we're on sycra forum and he made 1 post here in the past 3 years, so that should be nothing new.

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:53 pm

supremeleaderbobo

oh sycra, what are we going to do with him...

i would really kill for a makeover on the whole forum and some publicity from sycra, but i don't really see that happening anytime soon. just the sheer amount of drawings and sketchbooks on here, like the history, make me want this forum to be fresh again. i still like it though, and a there's a handful of people who are pretty consistent with posting and what not.

yeahhhhhh, i gotta hop into a discord sometime.

Postby supremeleaderbobo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:36 am

supremeleaderbobo

thinking about this at night, so its probably a pipe dream, but what if we just went for it? like even if 3 or 4 people participated that would be a total win. do you think even 3 or 4 people would hop in if i set up the whole thing? i'm super desperate to do something with this forum, i love it too much to hop over to a discord even with all of it's dysfunctions.

Return to The Arena