This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby perkexpert » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 am

perkexpert

Subject title: Painting with Watercolor and Gouache - Week 5

Hi Artists,
i still got an ongoing subscription for the schoolism page. It will run out in September. To my personal embarrassement i didn't work with the material at all, so this is a call up to you, to join in and have some artistic growth together. To benefit most, you could get a subscription (15US-Dollar per month) to watch the videos, but you can also just hop in and do the assignments with me. I definitely recommend this. Heres the short overview of Lesson 1 (from the website)

Lesson 1 - The Simple Statement
In my first lecture I'll give an introduction and class overview including materials, process and procedures. From there, we will find solutions to the greatest challenge of landscape painting: managing the vast complexities and millions of details that exist everywhere we look. We'll focus on finding a clear simple statement within the complexities of our landscape.

Assignment: Find 10 Pieces of amazing landscape Art from old and new masters and paint small studies from it in black and white (ivory black and white Gouache). Focus on the the simple statement. I recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nap7dwHjD9Y&t=2s

Deadline: Sunday, 02.07.2017 - 23.59CEST - Please share results for the most part, i hope that we get a nice assortment of valuestudies here! If you got any questions, send me a pm.
Last edited by perkexpert on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Josephcow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Josephcow

I would consider doing this. Especially because it sounds like the poor man's version of actually being in the Schoolism class :lol:
But I want to learn to paint in gouache better so I will see what I can do. Kind of confused about that deadline though.

Postby Audiazif » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Audiazif

I might try this. That video you linked was very informative. Thanks perkexpert. :D

Josephcow wrote:Kind of confused about that deadline though.

I was about to say it is DD.MM.YY but that still wouldn't be right, that is a Friday not a Sunday. So yeah, I am also confused on the deadline.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby perkexpert » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:36 pm

perkexpert

Hey, nice, i would love to have company, the deadline meant coming sunday, so second of July 2017, so DD.MM.YYYY - 02.07.2017, sorry this is probably the german/european format. Its more of a way to get it going, it will be 10 weeks, so we just have what we have at that point. If you did 3 great - if you got all 10 done - even better. Nathan really paints his watercolor more like gouache - pretty opaque, but i like it. Here is an example i made, rather small (14x11cm). The key is getting the big value blocks in and not getting lost in the detail, just adding enough to make it readable. Max 1 hour each, probably better if spent less, no noodeling :)
ScottChristiansen_GreyScale.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:06 pm

perkexpert

And here comes another one....seeing it side by side now with fresh eyes i see a lot of fails here...but anyhow
TwoOaks.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:11 pm

perkexpert

And another one, more successfull..
Landscape_Study_03.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:19 pm

perkexpert

Aaand another one...Casper David Friedrich here....very subtle value changes here...and again my darks are not enough, the medium values 10% too light
Landscape_Study_04_CasperDavidFriedrich copy.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Audiazif

Here is one I did today. I probably could of spent more time on it and made it more accurate to the ref but I am still happy with how it came out. I feel like the values may be a little off but not bad considering how new gouache is to me (this is maybe the forth or fifth time I have painted with it). I think it captures the feeling of the ref. If I zoom out is seems to read better so I may have gotten caught up in the details too much.

@perkexpert - Great work! Are you working on toned paper? I am asking because I can see some warm tone peaking through from under the paint. Now that I look at mine it has a warm tone in it too. Maybe that is just how it looks when photographed.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:01 pm

perkexpert

Hey, nice start! Really...for starters this is fine! Yes, most of them are on toned paper, rather heavy cardboard. Clairefontaine, A5, 250g/m² (115lb). And thank you for the positive feedback, really appreciate it!

Postby Josephcow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 am

Josephcow

Ah okay that makes sense. i'm a dumb American!

i better get going then! I may not have 10 done because I am a beginner at gouache.

Postby perkexpert » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm

perkexpert

And some more...man this is hard...hitting values in traditional media with all the light and wet/dry problems...and there's also size problems and relationships...but well, thats why we are here for right?
EdgarPayne_07.jpg
Shishkin_Study_06.jpg
EdgarPayne_Study_06.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Audiazif

I am having an issue with values also. I may have started too dark and ended up having to use pure black as my darkest value. I did my study from a printout of the image and I realize that might of been the reason for staring too dark. The printout was very dark and I could not see all the detail in the foreground. I am still happy with how it tuned out though.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Audiazif

"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Josephcow

Okay, I'm going to admit mine are pretty bad. Just overall messy. Looking at them side by side on the computer really makes it obvious where I went wrong with the shapes, but I suppose the point isn't to copy the picture exactly. I figured out pretty fast that white gouache doesn't actually completely cover things, and I just found it to be an overall difficult ordeal. I didn't try to match values exactly as such, rather just went for a 3 value notan: light, middle, and dark. Though I think with my next ones I will try to capture the actual values a little more.

@azudiaf Your studies are looking really good! I especially like the last painting, who did that one? Though one thing I see us both doing, is making important things in the picture bigger than they actually are. (For instance your water tower, or my skull)
homer-05-homesweet2home.jpg
Homer, home sweet home
Johannes_Ver2meer_-_A_Lady_Writing_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Vermeer girl writing letter
The_biglin_brother2s_turning_the_stake-boat_thomas_eakins.jpg
Eakins, biglin brothers
Unkwnown.jpg
La Tour, the repentant magdalen

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Audiazif

@Josephcow The way you simplified it to 3 value is cool. I really like the rowing team one. My last study was was a screen grab from the movie Princess Mononoke. I think the reason I am making things larger is that I am more concerned with the values (proportions and scale are secondary) and it could be the fact that I am working small with large brushes (my paintings are roughly around 4in x 7in). I also think your observation could have some validity to it, kind like the tendency of people making the eyes bigger when they draw faces.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Josephcow

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It's actually really surprising how small the focal points of many pictures are in the grand scheme of things. But yeah I feel the small scale thing, too. That, and not having as direct a comparison as you do when you do this digitally.

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm

perkexpert

Joseph, great stuff there, i think that was really the point to get the overall big value statement, which you got. I also have this "omg" experience when you look at it just besides the reference, but it's a hard medium :) Ill post some more later, and then well move on to week two! Edit: Here are the missing studies, i did the last one in marker due to time contraints. The middle one is black watercolor only, with some finishing touches of white...it turned out quite nicely i must say...i did a opaque version before which was a total desaster.
ScottChristensen_Study_small.jpg
RichardSchmid_DonanCastle_Study.jpg
ClydeAsoervuig_Study_Small.jpg
Last edited by perkexpert on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:50 pm

perkexpert

So... artists, week 2 is due, ill shortly post the brief for the week as well as my last paintings. Stay tuned and be awesome.

Assignment Week Two: Create 6 landscape sketches on location/plein air with black and white only. Focus on the simple statement.
Again, simplification is key. Keep your values grouped, make big bold decisions. Don't (over)render. Keep every study 1h max, less is probably better.
You might try different mediums, like digitial or marker, but go out there. Again, these studies are to be done in black and white only. No color yet.

Deadline is coming sunday. Plz make a photo of the location you did the study from and post them side by side.

Postby Josephcow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:17 am

Josephcow

Great studies perk! You're really capturing the image, I'm guessing you spent a lot more time on each than I did. I will definitely do the second assignment, but again 6 might be wishful thinking since I am just seeing this now!

Postby perkexpert » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 pm

perkexpert

Thx Joseph, i hope you all can get some work done...im really struggling here...but ill kind of get 6 studies done, maybe more. Could not paint on location entirely so i made sketches and painted the rest on my desk - not ideal but way better than just copying a photo...getting out there and finding a motif is a hard thing.

Update: Here are my sometimes extremely embarrasing efforts
week2_failedpathinsun.jpg
Week2_Graveyard.jpg
Week2_DigitalPleinAir_Study.jpg
week2_study_treewithmanandyellowflowers.jpg
wee2_threemonkeys.jpg
Week2_BigSky.jpg
Week2_WegImWald.jpg
week2_manundertreeinshadow.jpg
Last edited by perkexpert on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 pm

perkexpert

OK Assignment Week 3:

Create 6 Studies from life. This time, again, focus on the simple value statement. This time, we will use a limited palette.
Make those studies an hour maximum one per day should be fine. Here are the pigments you should or could be using:

- white gouache
- yellow ochre
- french ultramarine blue
- permanent sap green
- venetian red/ indian red
- van dyke brown.

so we got a basic color setup with relatively muted color variations of the spectrum. I found using a tape for masking my paper out very helpfull, as you get a nice clear edge and a smaller painting area, so you don't focus too much on detail. Have fun and be awesome, id be really thrilled if you guys go out there and do some real life painting. Its very hard, ill probably do only a few from life but some from photos.

Postby Josephcow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Josephcow

I really didn't have enough time, so I think what I'll do is kind of combine the last assignment with the next one because I actually don't have those pigments in gouache. I only have black and white and the 3 primaries. So it'll be whatever I come up with I suppose.

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 pm

perkexpert

Here's the limited palette, with swatches. I used Schmincke and Windsor and Newton water color.
Limited Palette copy.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 pm

perkexpert

And here comes the first photo study...you might use the same photo just for funzies...its always good to look at other ppls work and how they solved the problems at hand.
week_3_PhotoStudy_Mountains.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:30 pm

perkexpert

And another photo study, hope i can get out there and get some paintings done...
Week_3_GrandCanyon_small.jpg

Next

Return to The Arena