This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:19 pm

perkexpert

Subject title: Painting with Watercolor and Gouache - Week 3

OK Assignment Week 3:

Create 6 Studies from life. This time, again, focus on the simple value statement. This time, we will use a limited palette.
Make those studies an hour maximum one per day should be fine. Here are the pigments you should or could be using:

- white gouache
- yellow ochre
- french ultramarine blue
- permanent sap green
- venetian red/ indian red
- van dyke brown.

so we got a basic color setup with relatively muted color variations of the spectrum. I found using a tape for masking my paper out very helpfull, as you get a nice clear edge and a smaller painting area, so you don't focus too much on detail. Have fun and be awesome, id be really thrilled if you guys go out there and do some real life painting. Its very hard, ill probably do only a few from life but some from photos.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Josephcow » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Josephcow

I really didn't have enough time, so I think what I'll do is kind of combine the last assignment with the next one because I actually don't have those pigments in gouache. I only have black and white and the 3 primaries. So it'll be whatever I come up with I suppose.

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 pm

perkexpert

Here's the limited palette, with swatches. I used Schmincke and Windsor and Newton water color.
Limited Palette copy.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 pm

perkexpert

And here comes the first photo study...you might use the same photo just for funzies...its always good to look at other ppls work and how they solved the problems at hand.
week_3_PhotoStudy_Mountains.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:30 pm

perkexpert

And another photo study, hope i can get out there and get some paintings done...
Week_3_GrandCanyon_small.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 pm

perkexpert

Extending deadline to coming sunday...I actually made 6 paintings Bit cant post...no computer here....only my phone.

Postby perkexpert » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:28 pm

perkexpert

Joseph, where are your studies :mrgreen: ?

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 am

perkexpert

Here are the missing Week 3 Studies..cheated a bit on the green with the lake view in late evening there is a yellow in it...but the rest was made with the limited Palette.
Baustoffe_Abendstimmung_small.jpg
Deichlandlaschaft_small.jpg
maschseeabendstimmung_small.jpg
WurzelnImAbendlicht_small.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 am

perkexpert

WEEK 4 Assignment

Continuing with the limited palette, add lemon yellow and winsor red or cadmium red. Create 6 or more studies from life Begin each study by asking the question: what is it about this place that inspired me to paint it? Happy painting!

Postby Josephcow » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 am

Josephcow

Your studies looks so good! I have been really struggling with this to be honest. I did about 3 en plein air the last two days which I plan to post, but they didn't really work at all. But I shall keep trying. I'm having trouble getting the proper values. It seems like the more I paint the more everything just looks like one messy middle value.

Postby Josephcow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:59 am

Josephcow

Okay well in chronological order here are the studies I've done over the last couple days. I know they are pretty bad! But I am pretty much a complete beginner at gouache and it does not behave like oil paint. So while I have an idea of what I need to happen, I ended up doing stupid things. But you can see each time I do get progressively smarter about it. The one from today has a value structure and if you squint your eyes is almost looks like something! So hopefully my next ones will be even better.

Oh, and my pallette has been white, black, vermillion, cerulean, yellow ochre, and the last one I used lemon yellow instead. (I got a full set of pigments for 5 dollars).

Spoiler: show
IMG_3652.JPG
uuuuuugh

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

perk, do you have any advice? I really do want to learn gouache.

Postby perkexpert » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 pm

perkexpert

Hey Joseph, great you could put some work out! I finally got internet again, so i will post my three pieces i could muster probably tomorrow. Ill extend the deadline once more to coming sunday, so i can finish my missing studies. Hmmm...i find it extremely hard to gauge values outside too, but one thing that stuck with me from the videos of nathan is: You do NOT paint what you see - or at least not everything. Problem is, our eyes are extremely well at focusing on different parts of our field of vision very fast, depending on where you look. The effect is, that we will never really have under- or overexposure with natural vision. If we look into shade, we see it lighter and vice versa. So our vision always presents us with an extreme HDR like scenario. So....we have to decide what to focus on. Do i want to paint the shadowy stuff, or the light stuff. All these decisions have to be made beforehand and then you should forcefully make those shadowy areas darker than you see them to get a cohesive value statement. I attached two photosets to illustrate the problem. In each set we would see e.g. the trees quite middle greenish and the sky AS WELL ( i put together both photos to get an idea of the "actual" feeling outdors, but the last photo really feels off. But if we paint, we need to refer to a limited value structure, so we either need to make those trees or buildings quite darker than percieved, or the sky lighter, but not both. I feel, that the most important step is choosing your subject very carefully, as something wiht not enough interest or contrast will end up in a complete mess. And if you get your subject, make a plan beforehand. I guess its a lot of experience with motif selection to get sth decent out fast. What you can do on location is just to take your camera and "scan" with it, you will see, how much darker the camera will make certain parts depending on the focal point. Also squinting your eyes helps override those middle values. Btw, i also think that your last piece is the best so far. The shadow-light transition is really nicely captured. Btw, i only use white gouache, the rest are watercolors, but it shouldnt matter tbh.
exposure.jpg
exposure_2.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Josephcow

Oh yes you're right of course. I have most experience painting things inside, and you usually don't need to make such concessions because nothing is very bright, like the sky.
Apart from that struggle, I am trying to plan out my value structure, the issue has been that gouache tends to like to become a middle value very easily. I will do some more today!

Postby Idan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Idan

perkexpert wrote:Hey Joseph, great you could put some work out! I finally got internet again, so i will post my three pieces i could muster probably tomorrow. Ill extend the deadline once more to coming sunday, so i can finish my missing studies. Hmmm...i find it extremely hard to gauge values outside too, but one thing that stuck with me from the videos of nathan is: You do NOT paint what you see - or at least not everything. Problem is, our eyes are extremely well at focusing on different parts of our field of vision very fast, depending on where you look. The effect is, that we will never really have under- or overexposure with natural vision. If we look into shade, we see it lighter and vice versa. So our vision always presents us with an extreme HDR like scenario. So....we have to decide what to focus on. Do i want to paint the shadowy stuff, or the light stuff. All these decisions have to be made beforehand and then you should forcefully make those shadowy areas darker than you see them to get a cohesive value statement. I attached two photosets to illustrate the problem. In each set we would see e.g. the trees quite middle greenish and the sky AS WELL ( i put together both photos to get an idea of the "actual" feeling outdors, but the last photo really feels off. But if we paint, we need to refer to a limited value structure, so we either need to make those trees or buildings quite darker than percieved, or the sky lighter, but not both. I feel, that the most important step is choosing your subject very carefully, as something wiht not enough interest or contrast will end up in a complete mess. And if you get your subject, make a plan beforehand. I guess its a lot of experience with motif selection to get sth decent out fast. What you can do on location is just to take your camera and "scan" with it, you will see, how much darker the camera will make certain parts depending on the focal point. Also squinting your eyes helps override those middle values. Btw, i also think that your last piece is the best so far. The shadow-light transition is really nicely captured. Btw, i only use white gouache, the rest are watercolors, but it shouldnt matter tbh.

I'm going to chime in and thank you for this excellent post that explains something I've been struggling with when working with gouache, and I stumbled on it just before going outdoors to do some plenair painting (great timing, me). Thank you!
sketchbook
I believe in reciprocity in regards to constructive criticism in sketchbooks.
(In other words, tell me what you think about mine and I will most likely visit yours and do the same)

Postby Josephcow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Josephcow

Here's one for today. It leaves a lot of composition to be desired but I think I know what I'm doing more (compare study no 1 :/ )
And I took your advice about the sky.
FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 pm

perkexpert

Hey, Idan, i'am really happy that it helped you. Will you jump in? I'd really love to have some more artists in this thread. Plein air is hard but also rewarding. @Joseph: Great, like how it turned out!

Postby perkexpert » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:22 pm

perkexpert

So here are my studies so far, working on more...hope i can put sth out till tomorrow evening!
Felsen_small.jpg
Seescape_small.jpg
smallstudies_seascape.jpg
flamingos_small.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:52 pm

Josephcow

Great work! did you go to the zoo?

I like how you are designing your pictures, especially the flamingo one. It's not so literal a representation. The beach one reads really nicely, but I'm noticing that the sand and the reflections of the sky in the bits of water in the foreground are nearly the same value and it looks really pretty. Would have been a nice effect to capture, but a nice study nonetheless.

Postby perkexpert » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 pm

perkexpert

Thx Joseph, it was a big leap not wanting to paint everything, but to choose more carefully. It was like...why didnt i do that before? And yes, i did go to the zoo :) Anyhow, we start Week 5 Now. We continue with our limited palette (if you are choosing to do so), and we will do ideally 6 more studies from life. This time, it's all about edges to really bring those important focal points and elements out. So really pay attention to where you put soft edges (wet into wet painting), hard edges (dry paper, not too much water) and lost edges (no visible edge - merging forms). I personally did two studies, but i find this technicly extremely hard to control. Anyhow - happy painting and i would love to see your results. Try to put sth out till coming wednesday.

-

Postby perkexpert » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 pm

perkexpert

Here is my second try...so much left to do, but this was what i could muster on location. The Photo represents the scene from my viewpoint, i did crop in heavily to get a hopefully decent composition.
Pond_Small.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to The Arena