This is a place where you can create or participate in challenges and competitions!

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone, ErnieTheMighty

Postby haiku » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:33 pm

haiku

Subject title: Straight line drawing challenge

Hi, I've got a simple challenge for you guys. I've been making a little web application that judges how straight the lines you draw are and I need some peeps to try it out. It's also got a little arcade style leader board which is where this competition comes in.

The challenge is pretty basic:

1) Go here --> http://xn--haik-3ra.com/lesson1/index.php

2) Try to get to the top of the leaderboard and let me know of any bugs you find in the process. Maybe use your Sycra username or comment what username your using bellow so we know who's won.

Your score is based off the average straightness for the last 10 valid lines you have drawn. Note this isn't the same score as shown in the bottom right as that's your current lines straightness. A valid line is one which has a length over 6 and more than 10 sample points, click more data in the application and those number will make more sense. To give some context, a line with 90% straightness only has about 1 pixel of variation. Anything over 80% is where you want to be if your doing construction drawings, 100% is possible to get but really hard (especially 10 times in a row). I find I get the best lines when I turn off line analysis and more data, gives a boost to the fps and makes drawing smoother.

Originally made this to see what an online art learning platform would look like if it was a bit more interactive and had a scoring system that users could use to compete against each other with. Obviously learning to draw a straight line isn't the most exciting but the concept could easily be extended to learning perspective, colour or even more complicated things. Let me know what you guys think and your thoughts on whether something like this would be at all useful on a larger scale.

Works best on desktop with chrome and no other tabs open, otherwise things can get a bit laggy. No idea what it looks like on mobile but I imagine not pretty. Also make things easy for yourself and use a drawing tablet, mouse works but 'your gonna have a bad time'.

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:44 pm

ErnieTheMighty

Nice idea. I'm not too good with straight lines, that's a good tool for some regular practice. ^_^

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 pm

Ambiguity

Why does it not upload my score if I'm getting higher than at least 4 others?:

Postby haiku » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:45 pm

haiku

Alright, I've upgraded the score uploading code so it should work much better now. Then again, trying to reach the top of a broken score board sounds like pretty good practice to me ^^. Sometimes it still takes a little while for your score to actually appear, you can force an update of the scoreboard by closing and opening it again.

Got some hard to beet scores in the leader board now. Only two peeps have managed to pass the 90% barrier (Sky7 and TheUA).

Postby svarn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 am

svarn

I got past 90 as well, overall it seems like a cool idea.
I think that the problem I have with the game thou is that, it encourages you to keep working on your best angle rather then the weak ones.
And I had problem with the point where you lift your pen of the tablet, it's much easier to get higher scores if you run your pen of the window. This "trick" changes scores from completely random (30-90%), to frequently 80-95%.

Postby haiku » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:00 pm

haiku

Good catch, looks like you could easily get 100% by positioning your window halfway off your screen and then drawing along the edge of your screen to get perfect vertical lines. Welp not anymore, lines with gradients which suggest they're vertical or horizontal no longer count towards your scores.

@Svarn: Yeah I get what you mean, but I think its better to have one strong angle which you can draw your lines and then rotate your canvas to fit that angle. If you ever watch the Scott Robertson drawing tutorials you see this is exactly what he does. I guess its a trade off, you could master straight lines at any angle but I suspect it would take you much longer than mastering just a specific angle. Maybe you'd claim back that time from all the canvas spinning you'd save on but to be honest if your really going to be drawing that many lines and need accuracy your probably just going use a line tool or quickly model it in 3d.

If I ever expand this I'd probably structure it as a skill tree where you need to achieve a certain score in each lesson to progress. So maybe after this lesson you move on to a lesson where you have to draw lines between points on the screen, to test your skill at other angles of line. Maybe after you pass that lesson you unlock the canvas rotate tool in all other lessons, so you can only simplify the problem after you've mastered the general case. And after you've passed all the line lessons you unlock a straight line tool, just to make everything you've learnt completely irrelevant.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 am

Ambiguity

Looks like the problem with it not registering my score has something to do with being in private mode on the browser, guess that's not fixable lol.

Return to The Arena