This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby marvel57 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:42 pm

marvel57

Subject title: How do people around you react to your art?

I think this forum , thanks to sycra and us, is our art community and as such fills the contact needs of artists for interaction with other like-minded individuals,,,,and that's a good thing :ugeek:

Postby Shiroi Akuma » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Shiroi Akuma

My father bother me that I should search a job where I can draw.
So they are pretty supportive.
Although I don't want an art career.
Ps: I like your signature!

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:20 am

Dream

marvel57 wrote:I think this forum , thanks to sycra and us, is our art community and as such fills the contact needs of artists for interaction with other like-minded individuals,,,,and that's a good thing :ugeek:

Couldn't agree more.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby fleur » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm

fleur

It's interesting to hear what your guys' situation is!
When it comes to art, my family don't really understand it I guess. I'm expected to go into a good academic job so they've always considered it as a back-seat thing. They don't really praise my artwork, they're either indifferent or shocked. Not that they're not supportive of it as a hobby, it's just they've never really gone "wow thats great" or anything. Also, what I draw; the concepts seem weird to them? I don't know what they're expecting though.

As for the career thing and what my parents expect of me, I don't know myself whether I'd want to go into drawing and stuff.. thing is being so young is that I don't really know what I want to do yet, which is difficult because I don't know how much time to put into this sort of thing. For example, if I knew I wanted art as a career then I could draw all day everyday because I'd know where I'm heading if that makes sense?
17-F-England

Postby eev11 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 pm

eev11

Most people around me just don't care, my brothers never even look at my drawings or ask about them, they barely ever get to see them.
My mom doesn't like the kind of art i make (she's religious) and my dad is quite supportive but pushes me to go to art school or something (and i'm not feeling that right now). I wouldn't say anyone is truly supportive.

Postby lalesm » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 am

lalesm

There's this one girl in art class who walks past me, sees what I'm drawing, and starts screaming for everyone to look. Always awkward :shock: :oops: . Other than that most people just think it's cool.

Postby Wyntry » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:59 am

Wyntry

My work is seen as a distraction and not as important as everything I have to do to help with bills and raising 3 kids. My friends at work see it as just some random thing I do that means nothing. I am pretty much surrounded by the every now and then 'that looks okay' or 'you aren't that good at that'.
I guess its just something I have to get used to.
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby ameliori » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:59 pm

ameliori

My parents are quite oblivious. When I was younger, my mother used to discourage me from drawing. Now I'm older, i think she gave up. My father was okay with it but quite concerned for my future. He never brings it up in conversation.

My significant other is very supportive, though. So that's good :D

Postby Lilith » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:15 am

Lilith

'thank you for that painting and all but I really wanted it on paper, seems a bit more... real, you know?'

Postby michaelpettinato » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 am

michaelpettinato

My parents always supported it as a hobby until recently my Father has been much more supportive. I guess I've grown as an artist and I can see why a few years ago they were against me taking it seriously. xD

My close friends were always supportive about it, and they are even now as I grow better. I've noticed that my less close friends and extended family members are starting to show interest and ask for art work / commission me as i've gotten better, which i think is really cool.

Postby Khayria » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Khayria

My family and friends are always supportive, and love everything I do. But I don't know if their compliments are something I should take serious since they compliment my bad work too. They probably see me more as "girl who draws pretty good" and not as someone who wants to reach the level of the work they see in artbooks etc. (even though they encourage me to do a job that is art-related)...

Postby aero » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:05 pm

aero

support.. mmm not at all, my parents help me buying some materials, but they not sure that draw, or be an illustrator is a good idea, i want to be an illustrator for one reason, is not for money, i love draw, and i want to be best every day, and in the future change the world of someone like other artist like you guys change my world, giving hope and illutions, with your works, thats why im drawing, good or bad, i have thousands of thousands of bad drawings or paintings and only 1 o 2 more or less good but i dont give up, the only support i need is no give up and go ahead, to the goal. but thanks at all you, you are my support for give me the opportunity to participate here with us n.n

Postby spacerogue » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:36 pm

spacerogue

I tend to keep people around me that draw themselves, non artsy people barley are of interest to me unless they are huge geeks. So yeah that does mean most of my friends are people from DA and usually art students, very driven hobbyist and some professional artists even. We all try to support each other.

I'm not at the age of my parents really caring anymore, I'v failed two art collages but seeing I'm such a disaster in classic teaching they didn't mind me trying, lets just say its already a surprise I finished highschool with sorda okay grades and I do have a degree, not that its been of any use tho. People in this house just care about me having a job and getting on with my life, they don't mind me buying fancy art supplies as long as I spend responsible :lol:

Postby Shao » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Shao

always have briefing with my mom, and she does good critique , first of all i have conversation with her
friends are lame -_- junks addicted to drugs , so have to search ppl at internet to gain other side of critique

Postby QuietElegy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:17 am

QuietElegy

Art has always been a thing that people around me have supported, but especially when I started to really gain skill in it.
Despite that I'd always been really shy about showing off my work, it's not that I wasn't proud of it but I felt like I'd rather be humble about things and let people see if they ask, than going around shoving my sketchbook in people's faces. I guess there's still sort of that stigma about that, even though I love posting my work online.

Now that I'm older and considerably better in it, a lot of my friends commission me to draw their characters, and it's really a nice feeling to be appreciated for what you do, as well as make others happy through it. That's probably my favoruite part really, is when I send people the final product and they get super excited about it.

All in all I think I'm really lucky that everyone likes my work and I never really had issues with people telling me not to draw.
My sketchbook

Please refer to me with They/Them pronouns. Thank you.

Postby rockmor » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:26 pm

rockmor

Well, my dad is a photographer and an artist, and my little sister goes to art school. And my mom just happy that I have some serious interests and goals :) So my family is very supportive.
And some days ago their friends from Latvia came and saw my stuff and were all like "HOLY SHET DAWG DID YOU DROW DAT DIS IS AWSUM", and I just was sitting here and couldn't say a word :D I think that they just were impressed that most of our familiy is drawing.
My friends on the other hands... one of them is always like "you can't make big money with art and you can't become great, so you should just go to work in some office like other normal people" and the other one is just indifferent. But it doesn't relly bother me.
Also yeah, this forum is awesome, it boosted my self-confident a lot, and I started enjoying art more.

Postby SureYouCan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:48 am

SureYouCan

"That's nice, did you go outside today?" exact quote from mother. I think she doesn't care that much but sometimes my friends say nice things and that's fine with me I guess.
→ ↓ → SHORYUKEN!!!!! My lonely Sketchbook

Postby z4m97 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:16 am

z4m97

my parents, when i told them i wanna be mangaka...they told me to study music xD
but after just few minutes they offered me their total support, i dont have many art-like friends so they just stare at it and say "wooooo man youre good!" kinda cheering and annoying at the same time xD
and well i only found 1 person kinda hating it, it was the owner of an art store, i went there and ask for nib pens, he said "of course i have some, what do you want them for?" i said "artistic inking" and he said "comicbook?" i said "manga"....
if you were there to watch this old man's expresion...damn i felt like if i killed someone or something...it was just despice...kinda scary, later on i learnt that most so called "artist" around here consider manga as just a trending topic (well many people think so) and when you say that you want to do it as a career they think youre just childish or something...

Postby Shifter » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Shifter

Guys all round me and parents were kinda not supporting it at first.. mostly with comments like "What do you need that for? What will you do with it?"
And I don't blame them. 23 years old, finishing my studies and all of a sudden doing something they are not used to see..

But.. you just need to prove them that you are really into it. That it's not something that will pass after a month of messing around
Prove them that and they will help you like they are helping me :)
Check out my sketchbook and leave a comment, I don't bite.. yet ^^

Watch me on deviantART or I'll bite you C:

Postby z4m97 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:27 am

z4m97

Shifter wrote:Guys all round me and parents were kinda not supporting it at first.. mostly with comments like "What do you need that for? What will you do with it?"
And I don't blame them. 23 years old, finishing my studies and all of a sudden doing something they are not used to see..

But.. you just need to prove them that you are really into it. That it's not something that will pass after a month of messing around
Prove them that and they will help you like they are helping me :)

nice words dude! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge