This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Nymzo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Nymzo

Subject title: Protecting Intellectual Property

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum and I have to be honest, It's a bit overwhelming. But I believe that all the wonderful people here will be able to help me with my art. Anyway, I'm in the process of creating my own web comic. I could use any help regarding the protection of intellectual property. How do I go about it? How do I do it? If you've had a similar experience, please share it.

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Fantelle

Hey! Where are you planning to post the web comic? And what are you worried about in particular? :)

Postby Nymzo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Nymzo

I plan on hosting my own website for the comic, and after that, distributing it over other platforms such as DeviantART & Tapastic. I'm mostly worried about someone using the main character as their own.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Ambiguity

As soon as you put anything original down on paper you own the copyright to it, so the law is on your side. However, there isn't much you can do about theft without a lawyer, but if you make lots of art friends you can always shame them into taking down infringing content(I've seen this done a few times on various platforms).

You really don't have to worry about this stuff unless you're really popular though, and even then I've never heard of even one instance of someone stealing an independent creator's character.

Postby Nymzo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Nymzo

I had the same conversation with a few comic book creators on a Discord Server today. It's still good to hear from another source, so I know it's legit. Builds up my confidence. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Return to Lounge