This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Sleepyly » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Sleepyly

Subject title: A tough decision and a difficult journey

I think i should introduce myself first so,Im Sleepy,19 year old male living in Brazil, I only started drawing at age 14 and have only taken it seriously this year.
I think ever since i started drawing, deep down, i knew i wanted to be an artist but i never believed i could do it i mean there's not many oportunities in my country and i dont have natural talent so i believed i was going to be a programmer because there is many oportunities and im a computer geek and coding sounded really fun so i went to computer science college and the 1st semester was good but during my vacation i figured i wanted to make digital art cuz i got a wacom tablet as a gift and i loved drawing and painting on the PC and on the beggining of the 2nd semester i realized coding wasnt so fun and computer science wasnt my area so i gave up and i tought of going to a graphic design course but my mom went mad and thats when i started having depression and anxiety and then i locked my comp science course and stopped my life during the next 4-6 months.
During this time i just spent my entire day drawing and watching tutorials,posting on sites,feeling anxious and even wanting to kill myself.I realized i wanted to go to an art schoold but i was pressured into graphic design cuz i could quickly transfer to this course and it would take over 1 year to go to art school and its way harder to make money with art,you know, classic art stigmas.
At first i had some hope on my graphic design course cuz i learned it had some things to do on art and illustration and i was like " hey,i can make artsies and have a stable life and get o the industry" but it was too good to be true.Later on i figured DESIGN is NOT art and the course was more like solving industry problems rather than self expression and most designers didnt even need to draw good, they just need to come up with visual solutions to problems, in the end drawing is to a graphic design course what math is to a computer science course and by this i mean everyone says you SUPER NEED TO KNOW THIS and every good pro is a master at this stuff but in reality,not really.
So im at the end of the semester with a SUPER BORING ULTRA BIG PROJECT that is like 50% or our grade worth and i really dont wanna be there, i feel like my soul is being sucked away, i really dont wanna go there anymore,its giving me anxieties and i can barely function in college days.

THE POINT OF THE WHOLE THING IS:

Art is the only thing im willing and can do but its so hard to me to find a way to keep going, my parents dont wanna support me if i go to art school or go for art anyways and im a very dependent person (this would take more backstory to explain and its really personal and complex) and me and my psychiatrist are suspecting i have social anxiety so its SUPER SUPER HARD to be on my own so Is it worth?
BOOM! BOOM!

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Ambiguity

Sleepyly wrote:SUPER SUPER HARD to be on my own so Is it worth?

I don't know, is it? Is your dream worth the discomfort it comes with to you? Or do you only like the idea if there is no struggle? Hell, never mind the living situation, are you even prepared to put in all the work required to even be hire-able?

I can't pretend to know your struggle completely, I have social anxiety as well, but I have supportive parents. It sounds like you understand the situation pretty well though, only you know what you value more. Even if you don't think you can do it, only you know if you're willing to push yourself and give it a shot.

Postby Sleepyly » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:50 am

Sleepyly

Ambiguity wrote:
Sleepyly wrote:SUPER SUPER HARD to be on my own so Is it worth?

I don't know, is it? Is your dream worth the discomfort it comes with to you? Or do you only like the idea if there is no struggle? Hell, never mind the living situation, are you even prepared to put in all the work required to even be hire-able?

I can't pretend to know your struggle completely, I have social anxiety as well, but I have supportive parents. It sounds like you understand the situation pretty well though, only you know what you value more. Even if you don't think you can do it, only you know if you're willing to push yourself and give it a shot.

Thankies a lot, i will think about that.
BOOM! BOOM!

Postby Josephcow » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:46 am

Josephcow

Sleepyly wrote:.Later on i figured DESIGN is NOT art and the course was more like solving industry problems rather than self expression and most designers didnt even need to draw good, they just need to come up with visual solutions to problems,

Solving visual problems is what art is, in my opinion. 'drawing good' is just a tool you need in order to solve a lot of visual problems. The world is a tough place, it wont change to match your perfect definition of art, so you may have to adapt what you think of as 'art' in order to live happily.

That's my advice anyway. I am sort of like you, in that I would love to be a traditional painter, but that entire career is part of an age gone past in a lot of places. I realize in order stay in art I may have to learn to love something I don't already. I recommend you do the same. Give graphic design an honest chance, apply what you like about drawing to graphic design. And those designers that can't draw at all? They probably wont make it too far.

Return to Lounge