This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby shreed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 pm

shreed

Subject title: Introduce yourself!!

Hi i'm val, 25 and i found this forum thanks to Sycra's great videos!
His videos gave me the push i needed to pull out all my drawing gears, after years of big lazyness.
A big thanks to him for that :)

I love to see other's drawings and i've seen some really cool things in here, so keep up the good work!!
hope i'll have the gut to put some of my stuff to improve my 'drawing'

Postby BoraxFlux » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:17 pm

BoraxFlux

Greetings everyone,

Since a few weeks I've been looking around on this board, always looking for ways to improve my work & enjoying others. Enjoyed it here and I think I hang around some more ;) .
Have been drawing since my youth, drawn a few years for a living while having a second, non related job next to it. Then lost inspiration to draw, but the will to create still lingered, it always has been a part of me, so here I am.

Thank you already for this board!

Postby Phanto » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:08 am

Phanto

Hello hello!

I guess I kinda introduced myself in my sketchbook. This thread completely went over my head!

Anyways, call me Phanto! I hail from New Jersey, of all places. I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I've been interested in art for as long as I can remember. I was a big Sonic the Hedgehog fan when I was 7-8. I would doodle all the time and I was one of "those" people. That doodling evolved into realism and studies and now I fondly remember watching a lot of cartoons when I was younger (I still watch a lot today!) and because of that I wish to get into animation. My grandmother, whom I lived the first half of my life with, passed away suddenly on March 31st of this year. It affected me deeply and I spent a long time without the inspiration to draw. Just recently I've done what I could to pick a pencil back up. I'm always trying to further myself, and my portfolio.
When it comes to art, I love digital and traditional pencil. While those are my favorite, I have tried a various amount of mediums such as Oil Pastel, Oil Paints, Acrylic, Charcoal, and Conté. I hope to receive feedback and I'm glad to be a part of this community. Have a Great Day/Good Night!
My Sketchbook, right this way ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2405

Postby PetitePanboo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm

PetitePanboo

Hello there, I´m a Adina , 24 years old and living in Berlin. I draw mostly portraits and people but currently I am trying to draw more environments and animals.
I'm doing an traineeship in a small Mobile Game studio where I'm mainly coloring the sketches of our illustrators. My traineeship will be finished in summer and I'd like to study Game Design afterwards. Looking forward to getting helpful tips and advices here :)!

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:28 am

Zjacklee

Hi everyone!

The name is Jack but i'm mostly known as Zjacklee! I do digital art although I did start traditionally. I really enjoy drawing, and I'd like to learn some digital painting! My art style preference is realism combined with manga/anime.
I already have some experience, but there is still so much to learn. :)

Well, that's it for now. Hope to make some nice new friends here! ^_^

this is my deviant art account so you can see a bit of my art ;) : http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby SmB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 am

SmB

Hi guys!

I'm a 23 year old guy from Helsinki Finland. You can call me Sam

So 1 month ago that Sam guy quit his job as a graphic designer because he got fed up with his bad wage, clients from hell,
malicious work atmosphere and everyone rather whining about the other behind their backs,than be inspired about life and all the stuff we could have created.
That and the fact he have always wanted to learn to draw and since he's not getting any younger, might as well start now rather than tomorrow.

even tho I have always wanted to learn to draw, I have never really gone for it because I really had no direction and felt lost and afraid, tho I did take every art class that was available in school,
hoping that I would find the direction i was looking for, hoping that this is the class I finally understand the enigma that is drawing, sadly that was not the case,
I can still hear my teachers words floating inside my head, whispering... "pick up your watercolorsss... paint what you feeeeeel... abstraaaaact..." "hrrr"

So needless to say that was not motivating and I remember myself thinking that "if this is it, I really don't want to have any part in it"
so I was searching for a refuge, and boy did I find one, video games, got pretty darn good too!
If I wasn't the 1# player, it was because of that damn LAG (the fault was never mine, I was the victim, I was not responsible, it was always something that I could not control)
That mindset of blaming others, variables you cant control is the easy way, it leads to a dark place and depression, a hole most people never get out and stay miserable for the rest of their lives.
After understanding this I now see this everywhere I go. Well here's a freebie to you guys, the secret to a happy life. You, and only you, are responsible, stop blaming others and after that stop blaming yourself.
Stop finding excuses not to do something. Start to find answers to your questions, if you think there is no way, it's your job to find that way, or to make one, if that's what it takes,
that's the only real "job" in life that actually matters.That and helping others. But yeah back to the introduction

When I was a kid (age 1-10), I was living pretty much in the middle of nothing (fields, forest, hills), closest friend living 4 miles away, so needless to say I had a lot of time to myself and my imagination.
Even tho I wanted to live in a city, close to my friends and entertainment and all the fun stuff. It all felt so very unfair, I was pretty much forced to pay attention to the stuff that was around me,
trees, leaves, animals, smells, clouds, plants, the blue sky, stars, aurora borealis, rocks... I had freaking rock collections, yeah you heard me, collections... in plural. I was living in a place with seasons.
I was able to play with snow, see it melt, watering the earth, bloom into spring, that turning into summer and that to turn into fall and see the leaves fall followed shortly after with first snow.
So did i really live in the middle of nothing... or in the middle of everything?

Since I was spending a lot of my time in the nature, looking at things, hunting for AWESOME rocks and picking things apart, or sitting in front of the tv watching shows about nature,
adults that came to visit my parents always told me that I would grow up to be a scientist, biologist or geologist or something like that, but I didn't like the idea, I just wanted to know how stuff works... yeah.
At the time I was actually drawing a lot and I did love it, watching disney classics, and star wars... I was watching star wars so much that I drove my family members insane with the amazingly beautiful score
composed by John Williams, which I think is impossible. But needless to say, the awesome designs in star wars influenced my drawings and they were all about space battles or speeders on the moon of Endor...
Somehow I got strayed from the path and the things I loved doing, it's time to fix that.

Now that I think about my past and everything I have done, it's all pointing to entertainment design and illustration.
And because of AMAZING people like Sycra, Feng Zhu, le-mec and others, sharing so much of valuable information for free...
I really can't thank them enough, I'm finally able to follow my dreams.
And I hope that this block of text smacks some of you guys out of your slumber and you will be able to follow yours.

So for myself I have finally started to ask the right questions and I know this is the thing I want to do
I would recommend that you do the same

Postby Rhynn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:43 pm

Rhynn

*waves* Hi ^_^

I'm Rhynn, Dutch, 22 years of age at the moment, and Zjacklee's girlfriend (see bottom of the previous page for his introduction).

I know it's cliché, but I've been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil. I taught myself how to read and write thanks to drawing, haha. I saw the letters as just little drawings...

Anyway. I've been using Photoshop for drawing for about... 10 years now, I think. My style has varied quite a bit and still continues to vary; I've recently started doing digital paintings and just might continue that, because I really like the result.

To see some of my art, check out roccaraven.deviantart.com!

When I'm not busy drawing I can usually be found on the forum I admin, or in a dark corner with my nose in a book ;)

Postby HeartofLead » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:31 am

HeartofLead

Ello, I'm a 17 year old living in Canada. And I love to draw, check my sketch book thingy and check my stuff out lol

I've been drawing since I can remember, but I took a long break and then recently got a tablet again, which boosted my drawing inspiration and I started actually studying different art styles and practicing and all that jazz.
:'D

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Nipponkage

Hi my name's Ryan, I'm 14 and I come from Scotland.

To be honest I've only been anywhere near serious about art for the past year or 2. Mainly manga, although eventualy I would like to be able to do other types of art. Although I still have a long, long way to go; I will draw every day at least, when I can't do anythign else (art wise).

Postby Dream » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 am

Dream

Hello, i'm Dream. 18 years old, living in Paraguay.

Started learning in an art class (after 3 or so years of trying to learn on my own) a few years ago, but haven't been able to be serious about it. Hopefully that will change with time.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Sin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 am

Sin

Hi. My name is Ivan, 24 years old (23 but really a few days to 24-th birthday). I live in Croatia, i have finished highschool for sculpting desing and academy of fine art (also sculpture)... i realised last year that i'm not satisfied with fine arts and what it teaches (all philoshopy, not so much actual drawing, sculpting etc.), so i decided to pursue my childhood dream - concept art & illustration. I have to start all over, from basics and work up the scale to become concept artist, because i didn't realise how much fine art and applied (commercial) art are very different. In my opinion applied art is very much harder... i have my doubts, because i'm quite older to be starting something from basics, but i will try to pursue my dream... I think this is great idea for forum and i hope to learn much stuff :) For any questions feel free to ask anything ;)

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 am

Fenix_N

Wow Sin... you're kinda like me! I'm also 24 and pretty starting much in a similar situation, except I came from Mechanical Engineering. I've only started drawing around March of this year, so there's a lot of people who can draw circles around me, but I try to make it up in other areas. My drawing skill is probably going to slowly progress as I try to build the connections between my arm and my brain, so in the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as I can to make up for it. Anyways, lets just try to help each other out with critiques and tips and stuff since we're basically aiming for the same thing.

Postby Sin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Sin

Ofcourse, just give me few days to examine everbody's work, and to get comfortable on board ;) I'm glad to be here ;)

Postby Total100 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:50 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

im alex. im 12. not so good at drawing but i like it a lot.
used to have a bad habit of tracing and copying but now stopped when i saw that video on drawing methods on youtube by sycra.
it was actually a confidence downer when i realized im not as good as i thought but who cares. ill keep trying.
hope my age doesnt bother anyone. if im acting immature tell me haha.

i look at my age as a head start to im kinda happy about it. my art doesnt show it but im really trying hard and (a bit early to think but still) and thinking of going to an art institute later in life and having a art carrier. for that i need to get better though so im trying really hard.
0 being a baby and 10 sycra. im a 1.5?. (just look at my posts to see my art. )

my sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900

so yea, im not good but im trying really hard. hope ill be like sycra one day and im pretty sure i will cuz im starting early! so hi! nice to meet you guys! ^^
Last edited by Total100 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby notkewlio » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

notkewlio

Herro im Ella. i like to draw of course. :D i draw people and im still improving :roll: im on deviantart mostly, but i was thinking about getting a tumlbr! so yeahhhhh :D found this website off of youtube

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Nipponkage

Sorry this is just a test for something.

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Zjacklee

notkewlio wrote:Herro im Ella. i like to draw of course. :D i draw people and im still improving :roll: im on deviantart mostly, but i was thinking about getting a tumlbr! so yeahhhhh :D found this website off of youtube

Welcome around. ^_^

Postby Total100 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Nipponkage wrote:Sorry this is just a test for something.

np
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Chaic » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:58 am

Chaic

Hi, My name is Jack. I have been drawing for the better part of a decade. I love learning about art as much as i like practicing it.

Postby Sin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:08 am

Sin

Welcome :mrgreen:

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Zjacklee

Welcome around Jack. you have been drawing over a decade? then don't forget to make a sketchbook topic! :)

Postby Total100 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Total100

Chaic wrote:Hi, My name is Jack. I have been drawing for the better part of a decade. I love learning about art as much as i like practicing it.

welcome to the forum jack ;)
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Hirasen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:13 am

Hirasen

Hello. My name is Amanda, I'm 19 years old and I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. Although I consider my art as a hobby I generally spend 8-10 hours a day drawing (or learning how I can improve my work). Having no formal training, I had no idea of the technical terms (form, value, perspective etc.) until very recently. (I have a bit of catching up to do.)  :?

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 am

Zjacklee

Welcome aboard Amanda! Looking forward to see your drawings and your progress. :)

Postby Total100 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Total100

Hirasen wrote:Hello. My name is Amanda, I'm 19 years old and I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. Although I consider my art as a hobby I generally spend 8-10 hours a day drawing (or learning how I can improve my work). Having no formal training, I had no idea of the technical terms (form, value, perspective etc.) until very recently. (I have a bit of catching up to do.)  :?

welcome welcome :)
i respect people who draw 24/7 so we'll get along nicely (i hope lol)
i cant wait for you to post more. :D
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge