This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby ameliori » Mon May 26, 2014 2:11 pm

ameliori

Subject title: Would you rather be known as your "real name" or an "alias"?

As artists, it's a good step to build our name as a "brand". Professionally, it might also be a legal thing. There are benefits to using either real name and pseudonym. Here are a few:

Real name pros - More professional transactions, billing ease, might be easier to market because of friends and acquaintances
Real name cons - compromised privacy, pigeonholing, spelling difficulty can lead to loss of market

Alias pros - Uniqueness, branding ease, control of spelling/catchiness, if you want to try a new style/direction, the alias gives you freedom
Alias cons - legal problems, possibility of stolen artwork, hard to stick to

This is just me, but aliases are always lost on me and I start a new one every time something catches my fancy, so real names would fix that problem. But then, my real name is quite hard to spell/pronounce. I've always had that difficulty since I started school. I also use my real name for my day job so I'm wondering if I should keep my art pursuits and my work separate. What do you think?

Anybody here muling over the same thing? Which do you prefer signing your art in?

Postby Ambiguity » Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Ambiguity

Lately I've just been signing my artwork with my initials(in a more stylized way though), but I'd honestly rather just be known by an alias because I really don't like my first name and nobody ever spells or pronounces my last name right. However, since my current alias is also just an English word I think it's probably not very memorable to most people(although I think it's perfect for art), and it would make it hard to search for me in Google.

Postby virtueone » Mon May 26, 2014 9:26 pm

virtueone

Cool topic! I agree with those pros and cons. I use an alias for personal (liberal) work and real name for professional (conservative) work. It helps to avoid conflict, bias, etc.

Also, my full name is quite long, so an alias is just easier. :D

Postby Dypnotic » Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 am

Dypnotic

i dont mind either but i believe my alias would be easier :D
So fresh, so clean.

Postby marvel57 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:05 pm

marvel57

Keep drawing or you won't even have to worry about it! :lol: p.s. I'd use my real name, somethin' for the family :ugeek:

Postby ameliori » Fri May 30, 2014 2:20 pm

ameliori

@marvel57, Agreed. In the end, the name matters little compared to your body of work haha. Still an interesting topic to discuss tho :P

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Roger

Well my alias is sort've my real middle name so it's kinda both? XD Roger is English for Rogelio which is my middle name.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby RenRen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:21 pm

RenRen

My alias is so regular, it'd be stupid to use everywhere. But on the other hand, my real name is a bitch. XD But I love it so much.
23 | Female | Dutch | http://yrenki.deviantart.com/

Postby Icyhands » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Icyhands

I just use my initials for my signature, email and web address and then my real name when actually talking to/emailing people. Seems more polite somehow. (But my first name is only four letters long, so maybe I have it easy.)
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9681 DA - http://icyhands.deviantart.com

'the hell are you reading this? You should be drawing!

Postby Spacecookie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Spacecookie

My nick name irl is spacecookie, so it's what I'm known as. So it's my real name but it's an alias. *starts up James Bond music* Just call me Cookie- Spacecookie.

Postby TarektheFreak » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 am

TarektheFreak

My name is in my alias. If I spend 16 hours on a drawing, I want the people who like it to know the name of the guy who made it.

Postby marvel57 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:02 am

marvel57

@Terek-just don't include your social security number :shock:

Postby xikes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:34 pm

xikes

Some few years ago, I was obsessed with my alias. I used it everywhere, where I possibly could. People new me by it and I was called by it even irl, even by closest of friends.
But now, it's something like I don't really care that much anymore. Real name is fine too, though the alias is easier to type and remember, and it doesn't contain diacritical characters (as opposed to my surname, which contains something like "Å¡").
So, I'm still a bit inclined to my alias, but both are fine for me.

Postby Masato Toys » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Masato Toys

I use my real name professionally, and this alias for all the things I do on the side for fun.

But now after 10+ years I'm in a position where I am trying to shift my professional time away from my real name into the alias! lol

So far most of the successful freelancers I know all just use their real names. Marketing my alias will be sort of an experiment

Postby lithos » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 am

lithos

hoeppner pronounced hep-ner... Nothing like explaining that it was orginally humpner(u with umlaut thing) meaning the names been bastardized more than a few times.

Postby Spudboy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:30 am

Spudboy

whatever annoys them the most
http://spudboe.deviantart.com/
ya, i'm the new fuck here

Postby pr0nm0n » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 am

pr0nm0n

Name for professional use such as portfolio, signing, etc, alias for online profiles and the likes :)

Postby Fantelle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Fantelle

Definitely my alias, nobody would be able to spell my real name anyway. :)

Postby biosphere » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:53 am

biosphere

I was was using an alias I couldn't use this one.. There's already a Norwegian Ambient music guy using it. I'd get a guilty conscience for stealing it :D
Other aliases I've come up with in my teens, and whenever I look back I think "ugh, really? what was I thinking" So I don't know if an alias is really a good idea.

The one thing I agree with is that an alias provides anonymity that's very very liberating and perhaps a tad safer. You never know if you'll be the victim of a stalker!

I think I'd go with my real name though if I ever planned on selling anything I've made. I don't think it would be worth the hassle to be some kind of art-batman.

Postby Damien.R » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:59 am

Damien.R

I am no good at coming up with names so I just use my real name. I do have an alias I use online for commenting on YouTube videos and other non serious stuff, but that one is still just a normal name.

Postby Astrolade » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 am

Astrolade

Even though my alias is pretty bad, I'd rather be known under an alias because my name is pretty boring. It's easy to forget my name lol. I like that I can connect a mascot to an alias by association while I can't do that with my own name. It'd be a bit weird.

Postby Gryephon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 am

Gryephon

Non-professionally, Alias definitely . There's no reason to get your true identity compromised with strangers if your not working inside a professional manner. Having an alias gives you some anonymity, which does provide a layer of security to your actual name. So if you some how manage to screw up your alias' reputation, ideally you can scrap it and start anew with another alias. Privacy is also becoming a problem with new advancements in technology.

However, professionally I think your real name is preferable unless it's hard to pronounce. As it kind of sounds more personal. For example, Norman Rockwell vs NyanKat, J. C. Leyendecker Vs CaptainUnderPants31, or Sycra Yasin Vs Chuck Norris... Well Chuck would probably win that one. But you get the idea.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby lilla » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:32 am

lilla

Agreed on cons of real name here, but I could still only go with my real name because I never really put on an alias, I wouldn't be able to identify with it :/ well I had one in my deviantart days, but it always felt wrong. x)

Postby Hellabella » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:55 am

Hellabella

I suppose an alias? It's more of a nickname than anything
I go by Jay a lot, and my real name is Jackie. Something that just kinda happened with friends, and I ended up using regularly
im so gay wtf

Postby Eillims » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:45 am

Eillims

My name can be used as an alias, I feel it would market well.
The Q Train to BK

Next

Return to Lounge