This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: Anybody monetized a Youtube Channel before?

Does anybody here have experience with Monetization of Youtube Channels?

I never did it, but I could try it on mine.
But I heard a lot of indirect complaining of Youtube Creators that it doesnt pay.
(even Sycra is talking about moving to other platforms)
Also, every sane person clicks away ads anyways, or not?

When I asked people directly many tell `its possible, but you have to put in a lot of effort` and stuff.
But other people complain.

So, any experiences? Is it worth it?
I guess it would most likely result in 2cents at the end of the month or something. ^^

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Audiazif

I think it wouldn't hurt to try. I mean don't expect anything to come from it.

I don't mean to be a downer but the reality is you need to have a lot of traffic to your channel to be considered for ads. That means you need lots of subscribes who bring in lots of views and stick around to watch the whole video (from my last understanding of things the revenue was based on views and min viewed and possibly other factors too, then you get a percentage of that revenue b/c YouTube takes a cut). Also you need to consistently bring in that traffic.

Bottom line, I think you need to grow your channel and following more. I would concentrate on that before you start trying to make money off of it.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Fantelle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Fantelle

Yeah, and youtube is starting a new regulation that requires their partners (ad-supported channels) to gain at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 minutes of watch time in a year to be considered for the ad program. In other words, I'd focus on building your channel first and think about monetizing much later.

Postby LK Crown » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 pm

LK Crown

Fantelle wrote:
    Yeah, and youtube is starting a new regulation that requires their partners (ad-supported channels) to gain at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 minutes of watch time in a year to be considered for the ad program. In other words, I'd focus on building your channel first and think about monetizing much later.

Yeah, but that makes no sense at all. Why would one spend months and years building a Youtube Channel for the Ad-programm, just to find out after all that time and effort, that it is only worth 20cent a month?
(also last thing I read was, that it requires 10.000 views or is the requirement that you told the more recent version?)

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:40 am

Audiazif

LK Crown wrote:Why would one spend months and years building a Youtube Channel for the Ad-programm, just to find out after all that time and effort, that it is only worth 20cent a month?

Because they like to create content. Most don't start out seeking money. If you go into something just to make money off it, people are going to see that and not watch you. You can clearly tell which channels are in it for the money and which are not.

Remember YouTube is a for profit business. They will do whatever they like and put whatever restrictions they want on the platform if they think it is in their best interests.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Ambiguity

You need content that can engage people for at least 10min(shortest amount of time required to roll ads), content that is easily viewable on mobile(no ad-block on mobile, and the majority of watchers use YouTube on these devices), content you can update at least weekly, content that won't offend anyone, and most importantly you need tons of viewers.

All of these things are heavily stacked against artists which is why most creators supplement with their own sponsors or patreon. That said, it's not going to hurt you at all to monetize, so go for it if you want.

Postby LK Crown » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 pm

LK Crown

Ambiguity wrote:You need content that can engage people for at least 10min(shortest amount of time required to roll ads), content that is easily viewable on mobile(no ad-block on mobile, and the majority of watchers use YouTube on these devices), content you can update at least weekly, content that won't offend anyone

Yeah, thats what I mean. Why would I do that, when I dont even know what it gets me to follow these things. (Thanks of course for the info! :) )

But when they now changed it to 1000 subscribers I can forget it anyways.
But thats a good thing, I dont like having to produce mainstream content.
If you have to create your content for a mainstream audience it drains all fun out of it AND reduces the quality also!
You then have to do what everybody else is already doing on YT.

Return to Lounge