This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Inkey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:26 am

Inkey

Subject title: Whats your go to social media when following artists?

What's your favorite social media/websites to use when keeping track of your favorite artists and what they've been up to? Forums? Art stations? Facebook? Instagram?
I'm not too social media savvy myself. I tend to use Deviant art for most of my postings and followings. But over the years it's became noisy and cluttered, making following artists and getting attention a little difficult.

I like to get some opinions from y'all. Maybe it's high time I move from dA.
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [DeviantArt] [Instagram][Discord art community]

Postby fi_le » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 am

fi_le

There are not that many people on DeviantArt, but from my experience, the feedback you get on Instagram is really wierd and one-worded in comparison. Facebook is of course a clusterfudge of highest cardinality, so that's nothing for me at all: You don't see much of the artists you followed if they don't pay, because Facebook sells mad advertisement space and same goes for people seeing you. However, Instagram does this, too, even if to a much lesser extent, because it's also owned by Facebook.

You know, if DeviantArt wasn't the home of gross fetish drawings, I'd love that website!

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Ambiguity

I still use DA, but mostly because I've had my account for over 10 years, but I really just check the stuff from people in my watch list. It's really tough to find anything good on there because their sorting is so weird. I mostly find new people by searching through the favorites of other people I already watch.

Instagram I check most often, but Facebook's takeover did make it harder to discover new artists, though I still think it's better than most other communities.

Artstation I use a lot, but I'm much more picky about who I follow there, basically if you're not a professional I won't follow you there, I'm even reluctant to follow friends on it. I think Artstation has the most fair algorithm, the only problem is the social aspect of it is almost non-existant so it isn't great for networking(this is apparently done on purpose to avoid drama).

Postby azarga » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 am

azarga

twitter and occasionally pixiv

dA is dead and Instagram is cancer
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby fi_le » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 am

fi_le

Hmmm, after two minutes of looking through pixiv I get some wierd vibes, too. Moreover, this:

https://www.pixivision.net/en/a/3712

Postby Dizzard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:33 am

Dizzard

I like Instagram and Artstation.

I still occasionally visit Deviantart because you can still see artwork there that you can't find elsewhere.

Those would be the main three, I haven't really latched on to Twitter or Facebook for art, the only exception is that I've joined some art groups on Facebook. I'm not a big fan of either platform but at least Facebook has groups you can join like the Schoolism one.

(also posting my art on Facebook feels a lot more personal....)

Postby CaptainKiryu » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:35 am

CaptainKiryu

Most of my fav artists have all moved over to twitter so that's where I've sort of ended up.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Lounge