This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Arkoon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 am

Arkoon

Subject title: What are the per page rates for an entry level comic artist?

If there are any experienced comic artists or anyone who had experienced doing paid comic art works who could help me out with this. For the life of me I don't have any idea about this and I've had some people ask me how much I charge to do some comic work and I just don't know what to say. I believe that every artist should be compensated fairly for their work and the work artists do should be treated with dignity. Cheers :)

Postby Audiazif » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Audiazif

I have dabbled in comic art (followed a couple of comic artists) so I might not be the best source. My understanding is that pricing depends on what you are doing. Will you be writing? Penciling? Inking? Coloring? Or a combination? I would look around at what the average rates are in the industry and base your own rates with those in mind. Another thing to think about is your workflow, mainly is it efficient enough to make things worth your while. I mean you want to spend the least amount of time per page while still delivering good work. This maximizes your "hourly rate". You don't want to make it so you are being paid below minimum wage.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Wb_draws » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Wb_draws

You may have already seen this video, but if not, then the guy in it talks about earnings in comic book industry (he currently draws green lanterns comic at DC)

https://youtu.be/J_ANOFxmFBM

Be aware that recently he started posting a lot of rants about star wars and some other stuff, which I personally found to be little annoying, so you may want to think twice before subscribing to his channel ;)

Postby Arkoon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Arkoon

Thank you guys. I'm not a professional artist or did any paid work for my art before but you definitely helped me by giving me an idea. Although I'm still waaaay behind in terms of skill level compared to those artists in dc or marvel like on the video. I'm still glad that my art is good enough for some people who were willing to pay for it. But still have much room to improve.

Postby marvel57 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:37 am

marvel57

$50-$1000 per page penciling. depends on skill and publisher.... :ugeek:

Return to Lounge