Need some help in using the forum? Post your questions here!

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:34 pm

SeaQuenchal

Subject title: Help Fight Spam!

The forums are still getting spammers (at a rate of about 2 a day currently) and the only thing we can do about it right now is ban the bots and delete their posts. If you see any, please let me know in a private message; this goes straight to my e-mail so I'll know about it right away.
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby Murnfraurry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Murnfraurry

Saved for comedic posterity (sans the spam). :P

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Ambiguity

LOL!!!!! Spam bot in the help fight spam topic.

Postby virtueone » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

virtueone

That's a bold move Mr. Spammer! Irony at its best! LOL.

Postby virtueone » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

virtueone

Haha. Thanks SeaQuenchal!

Postby marvel57 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 pm

marvel57

Really! I don't speak polish and I don't need generic drugs! :arrow:

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:04 pm

SeaQuenchal

Seriously. I don't get why they waste their time on forums like ours. Nobody here's ever going to buy their lame, discount pharmaceuticals because they saw some grotesquely invasive spam posted a gagillion times, it's just a waste of effort for them and it's annoying for us.

On a side note: if you guys do want some good, name-brand pharmaceuticals at discount prices you should check out my link here.
webpage - 003.png
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby virtueone » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:37 pm

virtueone

^ Hahaha! That's awesome. ;)

Postby Minako008 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

Minako008

It seems like there spam again in sketchbook section...

Postby Alexanderthefake » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Alexanderthefake

its been a couple of years since I have been in a forum. why do so many of them deny me as a spammer? I know my name is fake but gosh, what kind of prejudice is this? jk, no but what is going on with the spam stuff? are companies really joining forums? how is that? or is spam like a witch hunt like term?

Postby Alexanderthefake » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Alexanderthefake

SeaQuenchal wrote:Seriously. I don't get why they waste their time on forums like ours. Nobody here's ever going to decide to buy their stupid discount pharmaceuticals because they saw some grotesquely invasive spam posted a gagillion times. I realize that the idea is to "play the numbers" and eventually make a sale or whatever but they're shooting themselves in the foot by being so aggressive and thoughtless about it. It's just a waste of effort for them and it's annoying for us.

On a side note: if you guys do want some good, name-brand pharmaceuticals at discount prices you should check out my link here.
Spoiler: show
webpage - 003.png

o.o

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:25 am

GauntletsTheArtist

Did Sycra get some sponsors we don't know about? :lol: Nah! Not likely...

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Zjacklee

GauntletsTheArtist wrote:Did Sycra get some sponsors we don't know about? :lol: Nah! Not likely...

Spoiler: show
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 pm

GauntletsTheArtist

But anyways, 4 ppl who wanna log in or create other accounts, etc, I'd suggest a CAPTCHA system 4 both. If spambots can just get through an' shit, with little reprecussions, then y not?

Postby Rhynn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Rhynn

Spambots get through captcha's with ease. Really. And there are people who actually get paid to make accounts especially for spam on random forums, so there's also the odd human spammer you want to catch :P

I still say it's good to have the first post be under moderator approval; I use it on my forum where I get about 100 spam messages a day and it works brilliantly ;)

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:02 am

Ambiguity

Rhynn wrote:I still say it's good to have the first post be under moderator approval; I use it on my forum where I get about 100 spam messages a day and it works brilliantly ;)
phpBB? If yes what mod are you using, and what version of phpBB does your forum have installed? That would be fine with me, it's just I haven't seen a verification mod that wasn't an admin verification which doesn't work for us because admins aren't always available.

Also, I hear spambots don't get through the question captchas so easily depending on the question you use.

Postby Rhynn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Rhynn

phpBB yes, and there's no modification needed. In the admin control panel should be a bit about User Registration Settings. There, you find the 'New Member Post Limit'. Set that to 1. Then, go to the Permissions tab and find the Groups' forum permissions. Select the 'Newly Registered Users' group and submit, then just check the box for all forums and submit again. If their role is already set to 'Newly Registered User' for all the forums then you don't have to actually do anything there, otherwise set it to that. You may want to check if in the advanced permissions, in the Misc tab, the 'can post without approval' is set to either no or never.

This way members are automatically taken out of the newly registered users group as soon as one of their posts has been approved. If you want them to be in there for a longer time, just set the post limit to whatever you like, of course ;)

Postby alnoth » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:42 pm

alnoth

this sounds good, usually the spams try to sell their nonsense in each post, so 1 with approval should do the trick...

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Ambiguity

Rhynn wrote:phpBB yes, and there's no modification needed. In the admin control panel should be a bit about User Registration Settings. There, you find the 'New Member Post Limit'. Set that to 1. Then, go to the Permissions tab and find the Groups' forum permissions. Select the 'Newly Registered Users' group and submit, then just check the box for all forums and submit again. If their role is already set to 'Newly Registered User' for all the forums then you don't have to actually do anything there, otherwise set it to that. You may want to check if in the advanced permissions, in the Misc tab, the 'can post without approval' is set to either no or never.

This way members are automatically taken out of the newly registered users group as soon as one of their posts has been approved. If you want them to be in there for a longer time, just set the post limit to whatever you like, of course ;)

Interesting, I'll inform the others and see what they think. If nothing else I don't think it'd hurt to try.

Return to Help Center