Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Sleepy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Sleepy

Subject title: Gradient maps question

So I stumbled randomly on the following video about coloring with gradient maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbffJF0F904

Now considering we have tools like this available does this mean that spending years at learning painting and coloring art is completely and utterly obsolete at this point? Since PS can now just instantly add it you for any greyscale picture doing it even better than you can by hand? Like greyscale pictures are thousands of times easier to do than color pictures and you can just pick up colors from anywhere and put it there to create a gradient down to even the added secondary lights sources and reflected lights too.

Postby Audiazif » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Audiazif

Sleepy wrote:Now considering we have tools like this available does this mean that spending years at learning painting and coloring art is completely and utterly obsolete at this point?

I am sensing a little hyperbole in this statement, but no, learning painting and coloring will never be obsolete(at least not in our lifetimes, you never know). Adding color with gradient maps is just another technique. In order to utilize a technique effectively you still need to understand the basics. It is like smudging in traditional drawing. If used by someone who knows what they are doing it can have great results. In the hands of an amateur artist, who think they should use it because they saw how well it worked for the skilled artist, it can hinder the final piece and growth of the artist.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 am

Ambiguity

I agree with audia', it's just a tool to be utilized as you please. I also disagree with the statement "PS can now just instantly add it you for any greyscale picture doing it even better than you can by hand?", it's a good base, but imo it needs an overpaint to really give it life because gradient maps swap 1 color for 1 tone. He even did a bit of that for the blush, but everything else looks pretty dull and plastic like to me. If you don't understand how light affects the colors and values on differen't materials, this is still going to produce ugly results. You don't just "color" something, you paint the effects of light on forms of different materials.

That said, it is a tool, and plenty of professionals like to do most of their painting in greyscale like this, so if that's something you're in to, go for it :).

Postby Josephcow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Josephcow

I have a couple thoughts on it. First, yes, it's pretty awesome. Definitely a very powerful tool but gradient maps have limits. Its weaknesses are subtlety of effect, and the fact that you have to mask off the area you are painting. Even though it can do gradients and reflected light etc. that is NOTHING. Good color in pictures has more to do with the relationship of colors within the picture to each other, and the lighting than it does with just filling in local colors, gradients or not, So I believe in learning painting and coloring the old way.

Second, yeah he can recolor her dress at the click of a button, that's pretty cool. But it doesn't actually make the art itself any better. You still need to know how to paint to even get to the point where you are using this tool. And you need to know how color and light works to use it properly, to say nothing of the concept and design of the image itself. So I don't think anything's going to become obsolete any more than oil painting became obsolete when they invented acrylic, or acrylic when they invented digital. They're all just tools.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion