Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby vagabond » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:57 pm

vagabond

Subject title: How to finish drawings?

So Sycra always says that sketching is the most important thing and you should focus on doing a lot of stuff and get out as many sketches as possible to improve. Now I've been following this advice for quite a while now, but after investing an insane amount of time into this stuff I've been getting a little depressed by the fact that I don't really have anything to show people, because all that I did were quick sketches and studies.

Now I'm trying to learn how to actually finish a drawing, but I'm honestly just getting very frustrated. As far as I can see there are two types of ways to do this. One is inking and the other is painting.
I tried inking for a while, but it was honestly just frustrating to draw these very clean lines, because I'm used to drawing very rough and it was extremely boring for me just to trace over my drawings since I wasn't really adding anything new to them.
So then, I thought of painting, but I just don't get it. I've looked at many painting tutorials, but none of them have just broken down the way I'm supposed to do it in general. All the ones I've actually done, look very weird and directionless as a result.

If you have any advice on how to finish drawings, please mention it. Also maybe I've just got the wrong mindset or approach to this stuff. If you have any recommendations on videos, books or whatever on what to do, that would appreciated as well.

Postby Audiazif » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Audiazif

vagabond wrote:So Sycra always says that sketching is the most important thing and you should focus on doing a lot of stuff and get out as many sketches as possible to improve.

Yes, I would agree sketching is very important in the drawing and painting processes but it is only one of many steps in those processes. Doing a lot of sketches will only help you improve on sketching(I believe Sycra may have said something like this as well). In order to improve in other aspects and steps you need to do a lot of that kind of stuff. Being able to sketch well will barley translate to being able to make finished work well. Basically you just need to practice more with finishing. And like every learning endeavor there will be frustration and mistakes.

vagabond wrote: As far as I can see there are two types of ways to do this. One is inking and the other is painting.

Not necessarily, fishing is just cleaning things up and emphasizing what you want the viewer to see/feel. You can finish in any media you want, not just paint or ink (there are ink and paint sketches after all).

vagabond wrote:...it was extremely boring for me just to trace over my drawings since I wasn't really adding anything new to them.

When finishing a drawing, you shouldn't just be tracing the sketch. You should be constantly asking what you want to keep, edit, or add. A sketch is like an outline in writing, all the basic information is there but there is room for edits and it is going to need more substance to be anywhere near the finished product.

vagabond wrote:I tried inking for a while, but it was honestly just frustrating to draw these very clean lines, because I'm used to drawing very rough

vagabond wrote:I thought of painting, but I just don't get it. I've looked at many painting tutorials, but none of them have just broken down the way I'm supposed to do it in general. All the ones I've actually done, look very weird and directionless as a result.

I will say again that you just need more practice. You can't expect to make clean lines or paint well without practice. Like you said you spent a lot of time on sketching and studying, now you need to paint, ink, or do whatever other medium you want to finish in in order to make finished work you will be happy with.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby vagabond » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 pm

vagabond

Audiazif wrote:
vagabond wrote:So Sycra always says that sketching is the most important thing and you should focus on doing a lot of stuff and get out as many sketches as possible to improve.

Yes, I would agree sketching is very important in the drawing and painting processes but it is only one of many steps in those processes. Doing a lot of sketches will only help you improve on sketching(I believe Sycra may have said something like this as well). In order to improve in other aspects and steps you need to do a lot of that kind of stuff. Being able to sketch well will barley translate to being able to make finished work well. Basically you just need to practice more with finishing. And like every learning endeavor there will be frustration and mistakes.

vagabond wrote: As far as I can see there are two types of ways to do this. One is inking and the other is painting.

Not necessarily, fishing is just cleaning things up and emphasizing what you want the viewer to see/feel. You can finish in any media you want, not just paint or ink (there are ink and paint sketches after all).

vagabond wrote:...it was extremely boring for me just to trace over my drawings since I wasn't really adding anything new to them.

When finishing a drawing, you shouldn't just be tracing the sketch. You should be constantly asking what you want to keep, edit, or add. A sketch is like an outline in writing, all the basic information is there but there is room for edits and it is going to need more substance to be anywhere near the finished product.

vagabond wrote:I tried inking for a while, but it was honestly just frustrating to draw these very clean lines, because I'm used to drawing very rough

vagabond wrote:I thought of painting, but I just don't get it. I've looked at many painting tutorials, but none of them have just broken down the way I'm supposed to do it in general. All the ones I've actually done, look very weird and directionless as a result.

I will say again that you just need more practice. You can't expect to make clean lines or paint well without practice. Like you said you spent a lot of time on sketching and studying, now you need to paint, ink, or do whatever other medium you want to finish in in order to make finished work you will be happy with.

Well, I guess it's true what Sycra always said, "what you do is what you get better at". I just was focusing on the sketching a bit too much I guess. Thanks for the tips, I'll get to practicing this stuff right away!

Return to Art Questions and Discussion