Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Alpacamood » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Alpacamood

Subject title: sketchbook slam challenge: discussing art burnout

I watched holly Browns video on the sketchbook slam and it seems like an interesting way to condense a lot of learning into a one month process, but also it seems really easy to get sick of so in the end, is it really gonna be beneficial to anyone actually trying it? For anyone that hasn't heard of it, it's a challenge where your supposed to do around 20 pages a day of drawings and studies for a whole month, that's around 600 pages. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on it

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm

DarkLored123

If you don't have any responsibilities that are more important than art then go ahead, there's a lot of benefits to those numbers if not done with haste. You are not really going to experience a burnout if you take breaks in-between drawing the pages, I personally wouldn't do the challenge though since it can be too demanding if you have other responsibilities which for me is college, that can add stress.

You won't know the benefits of the challenge if you do not try it out, I mean logically it is sound that doing 600 pages a month of studies and so on will yield exponential improvement, but there are more variables that are needed to be taken into account. One of them is execution, or how well you understood your study. In theory if you understood everything and did it correctly then those 600 pages would render to improvement, but it is unlikely that it would go as perfect as that. Furthermore, it isn't much of a challenge per say, you are simply increasing the quantity and focusing on studies which you are already supposed to do.

Quite frankly, I do not see the need of increasing the quality, because for these 600 pages you need to carefully match quality(means of execution) as much as those pages for you to benefit completely out of it. Still doesn't hurt to try if you want to, this is simply my opinion since I think that you can improve as much with less load on your shoulders as long as you carefully try to understand and execute whatever you are trying to do.

This is Sycra's video, he discusses how quantity and quality need to match(in his own words) in order for results to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovSAXB2NHqc&t=491s

Postby LordNoctaeum » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 pm

LordNoctaeum

I'm actually attempting the challenge right now I'm 132 pages in. And I agree that quantity and quality both need to be emphasized, however Ive always found that my problem is that I simply do not draw enough so for me the challenge has been really helpful.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Ambiguity

I looked at a little bit of the video you were talking about and it seems she's doing exactly what I thought she was doing, just going through the motions. For instance, right at the start she opens up a pose book and quickly and haphazardly sketches in the pose in the sketchbook, and then completely moves on to other things(a portrait, a windex bottle, animal skulls, a human skull). Despite the old adage, you cannot just draw and expect to gain any real level of proficiency outside of basic draftsmanship/motor skills(I think this is apparent even in her sketchbook).

If you really want to improve, you don't draw a lot to meet a quota, you draw a lot because you're constantly trying to out do yourself. That implies you have to actually be thinking about what you're doing and taking your time with each drawing to get it right. That's not to say you have to turn everything into a 40hr illustration, but only that whatever you put down needs to be the best work you can do at the time. This type of drawing requires a lot of brain power, it's very taxing and not at all like filling a sketchbook with quick copies that you call studies and a bunch of comfort zone drawings. I wouldn't say you couldn't do this in a month without burnout, but I'd start with something more realistic. Try filling a 100 page sketchbook a month like Jake Parker says, or hell, just do real practice every single day and you'll probably be hitting that without even noticing.

Postby LordNoctaeum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:07 am

LordNoctaeum

Ambiguity wrote:I looked at a little bit of the video you were talking about and it seems she's doing exactly what I thought she was doing, just going through the motions. For instance, right at the start she opens up a pose book and quickly and haphazardly sketches in the pose in the sketchbook, and then completely moves on to other things(a portrait, a windex bottle, animal skulls, a human skull). Despite the old adage, you cannot just draw and expect to gain any real level of proficiency outside of basic draftsmanship/motor skills(I think this is apparent even in her sketchbook).

If you really want to improve, you don't draw a lot to meet a quota, you draw a lot because you're constantly trying to out do yourself. That implies you have to actually be thinking about what you're doing and taking your time with each drawing to get it right. That's not to say you have to turn everything into a 40hr illustration, but only that whatever you put down needs to be the best work you can do at the time. This type of drawing requires a lot of brain power, it's very taxing and not at all like filling a sketchbook with quick copies that you call studies and a bunch of comfort zone drawings. I wouldn't say you couldn't do this in a month without burnout, but I'd start with something more realistic. Try filling a 100 page sketchbook a month like Jake Parker says, or hell, just do real practice every single day and you'll probably be hitting that without even noticing.

I have to say that the last couple days i have felt like im trying to meet a quota and have been just mindlessly filling pages. Im gonna have to reevaluate this, on the plus side im over halfway to filling up a 100 page sketchbook!

Postby Alpacamood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 am

Alpacamood

@ambiguity yeah I felt the same and I think that's where I had some concerns, most of the youtubers I see trying this challenge do have issues with their drawings but are also trying to tackle a variety of subjects within their sketchbooks while still not addressing the fundamental issues in their drawings. I'm somewhat doing a modified version of this but with way less pages. Good luck to anyone giving it a shot!

Return to Art Questions and Discussion