Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Friendo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Friendo

Subject title: what to read.

sooo, I suck at anatomy, gestures, ect. to get better I started reading Loomis(Drawing Figures for all it Worth), but am getting alot of recommendations to stop and start reading either Vilppu or Hampton.

what should I do. I dont wanne waste my time with reading useless stuff. :?

pic: some(pretty basic) gestures that I shaded.("using" Loomis technique)
IMG_0579.jpg
IK the shadow with the sword is f'd up. ;(
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

Postby Fantelle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Fantelle

Doing crickets may help you as I see you're struggling with proportion and gesture. Sycra explains crickets here :)
    I'd also recommend his Iterative Drawing method (link) but with figures instead of faces as he explains in the video.
    I think it could help you get mileage drawing bodies and at the same time help you think about what you are drawing.
    As for books, all those you mentioned could be useful. But I'd wait if I were you, focus on gesture and proportions
    instead of anatomical details. Not a bad start at all though, keep at it!

Postby Friendo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Friendo

Fantelle wrote:
    Doing crickets may help you as I see you're struggling with proportion and gesture. Sycra explains crickets here :)
    I'd also recommend his Iterative Drawing method (link) but with figures instead of faces as he explains in the video.
    I think it could help you get mileage drawing bodies and at the same time help you think about what you are drawing.
    As for books, all those you mentioned could be useful. But I'd wait if I were you, focus on gesture and proportions
    instead of anatomical details. Not a bad start at all though, keep at it!

Thank you so much the feedback, and the videos. I still have to finish these video tomorrow, but it is incredibly nice for you to share them with me. :D
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 pm

DarkLored123

Quite frankly I think that you should be focusing on perspective and forms. You won't really improve at either proportions or anatomy without knowing how to manipulate forms in 3D space, and to learn to use gesture effectively you need to know how it functions in 3D space as well. Any kind of books or tutorial will do for perspective and forms, pretty much every resource goes over the same information, although I can recommend you tutorials that I've gone through so far.

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiU1-5 ... ScuABAJC4A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClM2Lu ... 23462tQzBg

Thus far from what I've experienced, books and tutorials aren't really that different from each other. Books simply elaborate information in more detail in comparison to tutorials which summarize the information for you. Up until now I got by just reading tutorials or watching them on YouTube and they are very reliable, it just depends on the way you like absorbing information.

Postby Moe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:00 am

Moe

Actually, you can definitely improve your sense of proportions and placements without understanding 3d form. It's more about making things look accurate than making it 3D. You can do bargue plates as sycra suggests or you can simply spend your time on what you're copying. From what I see, it seems like you're quick sketching. I'd advise you to slow down and really try to get things as accurate as possible. Speed comes with practice don't force it. As for the books you mentioned, none of them are useless, they are just advanced and not really intended for beginners. Ideally, you should have a good sense of proportions and form in order to get the most out of those books. My suggestion would be to spend a couple of months working on your proportions and placement( by taking as much time on a drawing to make it as accurate as possible) and practicing your basic perspective and forms. Once you get comfortable with that, you can study structural anatomy from those books to take your art to a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKV5nXL-C4

Postby Friendo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am

Friendo

again thank you fantelle, for the videos. made these with sycra's tips you linked. still having alot of stuggles with females and heads in general.

Im kinda conflicted with Moe's advise and Darklord :? . for sure gonne try watching all the videos linked, but the advise is conflicting with eachother.

and most of all, what sycra talks about in his video is qauntity over quality. idk what to listen too. still apriecate the feed back alot!
IMG_0581.PNG

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

DarkLored123

My advise pertains to the fact that learning proportions in a 2D scale, meaning you simply draw a figure from a frontal projection is not enough. Just because you have a sense of proportions in 2D space doesn't mean you'll manipulate it properly in 3D space, therefore you'll need to also understand form and perspective to achieve desired results. Because simply put it, all the references that you use for poses are in one sense or another in 3D space, and in perspective the proportions change due to foreshortening, now everything is the same length and size but it appears different due to the influence of perspective.

If you look at Sycra's recent video that he put out about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovSAXB2NHqc&t=491s

He re-elaborated on the iterative drawing and said that the quantity should also be balanced with quality, meaning that you want to have a good quantity of sketches but each one of them needs to have your full attention, obviously you avoid focusing too much on details because quality does not always refer to details. In a sense each sketch is supposed to be more technically correct, I personally do not use Sycra's method although I think it is a pretty practical one to be honest. You should watch that video if you have time. Even mathematically it makes sense.

You won't see improvement overnight, each sketch should be created with a lot of thought put into it to make it feasibly correct. In your stage I think the best thing to do is to simply draw simple forms and shapes to train your hand to draw them with a good percentage of accuracy, it is more fruitful to isolate skill sets and combine them later when you've built confidence with them. The sketches you've posted right now, lack volume and proper construction. I really think that anatomy shouldn't be your main objective it is a skill that will not be properly usable to its fullest potential if you cannot produce drawings in perspective. Just think about it, you learn how to draw the muscle from a reference and memorized it's components, however you can only draw it from reference because you cannot visualize it in perspective in your mind because you lack that skill.

Postby Audiazif » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Audiazif

Friendo wrote:Im kinda conflicted with Moe's advise and Darklord :? . for sure gonne try watching all the videos linked, but the advise is conflicting with eachother.

If you ask 10 different people how to do something, you are going to get 10 different answers. Everyone will do things there own way. It is up to you to make decisions on what is the best fit for you. No one should make that decision for you. There is no "right" way of doing things. If it works for you keep doing it, but if you or someone suggests a change try to figure out a way to adapt that change.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Friendo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Friendo

audiazif, ur totally right. I should make up my own mind. I'm still working my way through all the vids and tutorials shared here. once I'm done I'll try to figure out whats working for me.

:)

Postby Fantelle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Fantelle

Friendo wrote:again thank you fantelle, for the videos. made these with sycra's tips you linked. still having alot of stuggles with females and heads in general.

Im kinda conflicted with Moe's advise and Darklord :? . for sure gonne try watching all the videos linked, but the advise is conflicting with eachother.

and most of all, what sycra talks about in his video is qauntity over quality. idk what to listen too. still apriecate the feed back alot!

These are a great start, keep doing them! Though definitely get 'quantity over quality' out of your head, iterative drawing is about taking the time to do a drawing
    without focusing on the details and then trying again. And again. And again. His recent video clarifies that if you were confused after the iterative video (link) ^^

Keep up the good work. I'd love to see you post pages and pages of these in your sketchbook. :)

Return to Art Questions and Discussion