Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:30 pm

DarkLored123

Subject title: Good Canvas Resolution to Avoid Pixelation?

Recently I've started doing digital work again since I got the hang of the tablet more than I used to before, yet I find it difficult to find resolution that give me opportunities to zoom in without the canvas appearing pixelated. I've tried multiple resolutions ranging from 2000x1000 and also increased the resolution to 1000 pixels, ram and CPU are not a huge issue for me so I can go higher but I wanted to ask what is the best resolution to work at?

I am looking for one that allows to zoom in because when I practice I like using the entire canvas and making small sketches, but when I start adding some detail it is working against me, I don't zoom too much usually I zoom %150 to %300 but when I try adding detail which requires me to zoom in more it results in pixelation which limits my ability to add the detail I desire, especially when I crop the sketch it looks more horrible. Btw, I use Paint Tool Sai for my digital work.

Postby Fantelle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Fantelle

3000 x 3000 px at 300 DPI works just fine for me for bigger, detailed pieces. Do keep in mind that if you
    sketch small and then size it up, pixelation is always going to occur. Unless I'm understanding you wrong?

Postby Audiazif » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Audiazif

Pixels are the same size no matter the canvas size. Dpi is for printing and will not change how things pixelate. When you zoom in that much you are going to get pixelation. You need to work with more pixels. That way you are not zooming in as far to achieve the same amount of detail.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby azarga » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:17 pm

azarga

Go as high as your system's specs allow you to go without lagging on big brushes/transform/etc. There is no downside to absurd resolutions except excessive system load, you can always downscale.
If you haven't upgraded to x64 SAI v.2 you probably should, it is in beta, but owners of SAI 1.2+ can download and "test" it. Otherwise you are stuck with 10kx10k, because that's SAI 1.2 limit.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:12 pm

DarkLored123

Thanks for the advice, seems like I now understand the relationship between the resolution and pixels. Found that 4000x3000 works best for me although I can go higher if I want to.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Ambiguity

I agree with Azarga, always use the highest resolution your PC can possibly handle and that makes sense aspect ratio wise for your composition. You never know when you might want to turn something into a print so better safe than sorry.

To clarify Aud's and Fantelle's comments, yes, DPI is for printing and has no bearing on the pixels unless you use physical dimensions(e.g. inches, feet, centimeter, meters, etc.), in which case the program will automatically generate the amount of pixels used to produce those physical dimensions with the amount of dots per inch(DPI) entered. For example, let's say you want a 10in by 10in print and you set it to 300DPI, that will give you a 3000px by 3000px canvas(because 300 x 10 = 3000). Now take that same scenario, but this time we leave the DPI at the Photoshop default of 72, we'll now only get a 720px, by 720px canvas. This will translate to 72 dots of color per inch on our print, which as you can imagine would be a poorly reproduced print of what we saw on screen compared to the 300dpi print. On a side note, if you set your canvas using pixels, you can always change this DPI number and just uncheck "resample image" so that it doesn't change the size of the canvas, it just changes how it tells the printer to divide up those pixels physically.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion