Page 1 of 1

Drawing has always been a issue...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 pm
by victoriae350
Over the years, I've jumped back and forth between writing and drawing. I love to draw, but I never see improvement. So I just stop. I'm currently retrying because I find University stressful, and i want something productive that can take my mind away from all the stuff I have to do on a regular basis. I've tried some drawing classes, but unless I'm in an encouraging environment with a professor who understand that i'm self conscious of my photos, and how terrible they are, I don't do well. So I tend to not thrive in classroom settings.

Right now, I want to go back to the fundamentals and learn how to do everything properly. I have a few questions:

(1) Are there any How-to Drawing Books that aren't too expensive?
(2) Are there any online tutorials on basic anatomy of animals and people that are accurate and helpful?
(3) Do you have any recommendations for someone who, while has had some attempts at drawing, isn't experienced, but would like to reach a professional level? (even if it's just a hobby)

Drawing has always been a issue...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 am
by Ambiguity
victoriae350 wrote:(1) Are there any How-to Drawing Books that aren't too expensive?

You'd have to define "too expensive" first. Compared to schooling and the typical prices of required books for college in the US, art books are dirt cheap. I'll just tell you though that most of them typically run anywhere from 25USD - 40USD, and there isn't one end-all-be-all "how to draw" book.

victoriae350 wrote:(2) Are there any online tutorials on basic anatomy of animals and people that are accurate and helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/playlists

victoriae350 wrote:(3) Do you have any recommendations for someone who, while has had some attempts at drawing, isn't experienced, but would like to reach a professional level? (even if it's just a hobby)
Read/watch as much as you can on the fundamentals(i.e. composition/design, proportion, perspective, form, light, color, anatomy(or what something is made of)), observe a lot, practice and experiment a lot, and apply everything to what you actually want to do. There may be gaps in your understanding along the way, but there are no secrets, just a lot of hard work. Expect plateus, but don't let them cripple you to the point where you don't do anything. Try to enjoy the process of learning instead of beating yourself up over inevitable failures.

Drawing has always been a issue...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm
by victoriae350
Ambiguity wrote:
victoriae350 wrote:(1) Are there any How-to Drawing Books that aren't too expensive?

You'd have to define "too expensive" first. Compared to schooling and the typical prices of required books for college in the US, art books are dirt cheap. I'll just tell you though that most of them typically run anywhere from 25USD - 40USD, and there isn't one end-all-be-all "how to draw" book.

victoriae350 wrote:(2) Are there any online tutorials on basic anatomy of animals and people that are accurate and helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/playlists

victoriae350 wrote:(3) Do you have any recommendations for someone who, while has had some attempts at drawing, isn't experienced, but would like to reach a professional level? (even if it's just a hobby)
Read/watch as much as you can on the fundamentals(i.e. composition/design, proportion, perspective, form, light, color, anatomy(or what something is made of)), observe a lot, practice and experiment a lot, and apply everything to what you actually want to do. There may be gaps in your understanding along the way, but there are no secrets, just a lot of hard work. Expect plateus, but don't let them cripple you to the point where you don't do anything. Try to enjoy the process of learning instead of beating yourself up over inevitable failures.


Thanks man. Appreciate your reply ^^