Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby tatloe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:21 pm

tatloe

Subject title: Any tips to create an online following?

I want to work towards being able to do commissions for people, but I don't have any way to reach an audience that might be interested. Currently I only have a twitter and a deviant art each with less then 10 followers.

My current idea is to start creating fan art of shows or of youtubers in hopes of it getting passed around to reach a bigger audience. I also am unsure if it would be a good idea to create other social media accounts. Any ideas would be appreciated

Postby Moe » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:56 am

Moe

The best way to gain followers is to post as consistently and as on many places as possible(instagram, facebook, deviantart, artstation, etc). The more exposure you get the better.

Postby Audiazif » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 am

Audiazif

I agree, post consistently on as many places as you can. Also I think you should try to be active in the "community". Follow other people, like their stuff, and make genuine comments on their stuff(do not ask for handouts or endorsements).

I think making fan art is fine but I wouldn't do it too much. Would you rather have commissions from people wanting your original art or people wanting your fan art? If you make all or most of your stuff fan art you'll attract people who would possibly want or like fan art. If you post your original art and sprinkle in some fan art (preferably with your own spin on it) you'd more likely attract people wanting art done by you, in your style. I guess it comes down to what you'd like to be known for and what you'd like to do for commissions.

Patience might also be helpful. You have to go into it prepared for the long haul. You could do everything you can and it could still take a long time to gain a following.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby tatloe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 am

tatloe

I'll create other accounts and see if that helps, but so far nothing I create seems to reach new people.

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:50 am

Ambiguity

It's really a fight against algorithms and constantly streaming content to be seen. You need to be making full use of whatever platforms you're using to make sure you don't get drowned out by one or the other. That means, in addition to posting a lot of high quality content, you want to post on other people's stuff a lot, like and subscribe to others, get friends to give you a shout out if possible, use plenty of tags where applicable, join and post in niche groups where applicable, and make sure all your socials have links to each other when possible.

All that said, remember that likes and follows don't really mean much, it's just a button that can be pressed on and off for each social media site. What you really want is engagement, those are the people who will actually buy things from you, so make sure your content is engaging for the audience when they come.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion