Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Mikhomak » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Mikhomak

Subject title: How to do studies

Hey there!
I'm practicing my drawing skill but I kinda feel like I miss a lot of fundamentals so I want to ask for help
I wanna do character design, so I did a lot of anatomy studies and I feel comfortable with it but I think I gotta do studies about perspective, volumes and maybe something else which I don't know
So I wanna ask about perspective and volumes, how do you do studies of them?
I do drawing from real life for volumes studies(like the hand,cup and other stuff which I found on my desk) and draw as well some simple 3d shapes in perspective but I feel like I don't know if I'm doing it right, so maybe some practice stuff you can recommend to me?

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:33 am

DarkLored123

If you want to learn something, read about it, make sure you understand it, and then practice the skill. That is really all there is to studying, you need to do enough until you comprehend the information to the point you can understand how to do it.

If you are learning a new skill like perspective it is better to start with something simple like a box and draw it in many different viewing angles. Later on as you get better at manipulating a cube add more to challenge yourself by maybe drawing a car or a human figure. I also recommend taking a look at 3D programs because they will give you a better look at how perspective changes when you orbit around objects which is really useful.

Trust me as long as you do not over-complicate things with unnecessary thoughts, or feeling overwhelmed you'll get to where you want. People on the internet like exaggerating things and making things sound difficult, that it takes years and years of practice to get good at something which is true to some extent but it doesn't have to be as long if you simply focus on the material. Like any other subject of study, in the end of the day art is the same and you have to go by the chapters in the textbook to slowly build upon your basic knowledge to a more complex foundation.

This is a resource I use:

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

Hope I helped answer some of your questions.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Ambiguity

Postby Mikhomak » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Mikhomak

Thanks for your help!

Return to Art Questions and Discussion