Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Gryephon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Gryephon

Subject title: I wanna go pro

Hey, how do you make money off of digital art?
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby azarga » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 pm

azarga

1. register on facebook ripoff social networks of developing countries
2. find digital art you find appealing on dA, artstation, IG, etc
3. download it
4. sell prints of it and t-shirts of it using the 1.
5. disregard the whining and threats of artists who made the art you are selling
6. congratilations! you made monies off of digital art
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Gryephon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Gryephon

Thanks!

But I was more after on how do you make money off of digital art the righteous way. Not the selfish immoral way that'll lead me to the depths of hell. How do I become a good pro? With a halo and wings. And maybe lots of virgins.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Ambiguity

I'm not a professional, so I'm obviously not speaking from experience, but from what I've heard from people who are pros is that although there is no one way to break in to the art markets, your best chance of success is to target specific places you know hire artists with a portfolio that fits their style, genre, and skill level of their current team.

If you just want general work from private commissioners, it's similar to getting company work except it's more about your work fulfilling the specifics of their niche(and budget). A friend of mine told me she's made art and graphic elements for her Twitch channel and has been going around to other people's Twitch channels and telling them she could do something similar for them if they'd like. She said she's been having a lot of success with it since more and more people are flocking to Twitch now, which means more channels to market that kind of service to. I just mention that as an example of fitting a niche, you gotta know what the specific group is looking for, you can't sell them just illustrations or concept art when they have no use for it.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion