Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Cchrollo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Cchrollo

Subject title: Looking for tips/help with art

Hello, I am a beginner artist and I'm having trouble drawing poses, expressions and hands. I would like anything that could help me, videos, tips, images etc, but not anything too complicated.

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 pm

alexander.cvetanov

i would suggest you to find a life drawing classes for improving anatomy ,you will get better in no time.
You can check Andrew Loomis books,they are pretty good
Expressions are easy-Go in front of a mirror and make different expressions and take a note about the position of the eyebrows and eyes.

Postby Kiminjoy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 am

Kiminjoy

In case you missed it, Sycra actually has a video he made of advice and resources he would use if he started from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZbsLBd3oU

Outside of Sycra's stuff, there are tons of really good resources on Youtube.

Proko, Istebrak, Sinix, etc. etc.

Eventually, you'll find someone whose teaching style you like. Virtually every channel has something that will help you with poses, expressions, or hands.
Like here's Sinix's Anatomy Quick Tips: Hands.

There's also your local library, art classes, and drawing groups.

Postby Cchrollo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 am

Cchrollo

I've watched most of Sycra's videos.
I have a rough idea of how to draw but I am finding it very difficult to produce something that looks good and I am proud of.

Postby HopeMetal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:44 am

HopeMetal

Cchrollo wrote:I've watched most of Sycra's videos.
I have a rough idea of how to draw but I am finding it very difficult to produce something that looks good and I am proud of.

There really isn't a good answer to that besides just practicing and trying to see and fix your mistakes. If you're having a hard time seeing them, then you should get critique from someone with a better eye, but it should be someone who understands what you're trying to accomplish with your art.

Postby biosphere » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:07 pm

biosphere

It takes years of practice to get good.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:36 pm

DarkLored123

Piece of advice, don't do anatomy first. Focus on perspective, form, proportions, and symmetry before you move onto more advanced subjects it'll save you some time although it might be boring it is the most beneficial way to improve or I should say efficient. If you can't manipulate 3D space then you'll never be able to apply other subjects of study.

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

Postby arodude » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm

arodude

A lot of artists, even professional artists aren't satisfied with the art they create. It's not a feeling that will change any time soon. Try to go easy on yourself. You're a beginner after all. Focus on aspects of art that you enjoy in conjunction with doing a variety of studies and exercises. You will get better with time, and it does take time and persistence.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion