Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby lo-fi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 pm

lo-fi

Subject title: Can't understand lighting

I used to avoid shading and adding shadows because for some reason I cant wrap my head around highlights and shadows on objects. Anybody have any tips or anything to help me understand shadows and lighting?
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Postby B-astion » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:42 pm

B-astion

I'm afraid I'm not terribly brilliant at lighting myself, but I'll make a suggestion anyway!
I am sure there is a bunch of theory to be learned on lighting (I imagine understanding form has much to do with it), however, if you find understanding shadows generally difficult, it might be useful to use 3D software such as Blender to set up simple scenes with objects and light sources, creating a sort of lighting sandbox which you can pan around and study the shapes cast on and by different forms. This can of course be done physically but I would find that using software might be easier to explore without interfering and confusing the lighting.
I hope this helps.

Postby Audiazif » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Audiazif

I think this video sums up the basics nicely. This knowledge can be applied on any form.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby lo-fi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 pm

lo-fi

B-astion wrote:I'm afraid I'm not terribly brilliant at lighting myself, but I'll make a suggestion anyway!
I am sure there is a bunch of theory to be learned on lighting (I imagine understanding form has much to do with it), however, if you find understanding shadows generally difficult, it might be useful to use 3D software such as Blender to set up simple scenes with objects and light sources, creating a sort of lighting sandbox which you can pan around and study the shapes cast on and by different forms. This can of course be done physically but I would find that using software might be easier to explore without interfering and confusing the lighting.
I hope this helps.

I have never thought of that actually. Sadly, I don't have any 3d programs. But im sure I can whip some real-life object and observe. Thank you for the suggestion!
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Postby lo-fi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 pm

lo-fi

Audiazif wrote:I think this video sums up the basics nicely. This knowledge can be applied on any form.

Interesting! Thank you so much for the video! It's highly appreciated :).

Postby HopeMetal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:12 pm

HopeMetal

Light really depends on form a lot, so if you're having trouble with light on form you should work on thinking three-dimensionally. Along with the suggestions above, I will recommend the book "Successful Drawing" by Andrew Loomis, it should be helpful in understanding how to think about light and other fundamentals as well.

Postby behxmot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:05 pm

behxmot

I struggle with that as well. From my experience though, when I can't place lights and shadows correctly, it usually means I don't understand the form that I'm shading. It's amazing how one can be drawing something and still be missing crucial information about it. For example, when drawing a human, I would ask myself "in this pose, is the stomach farther or closer to the viewer than the head and chest?" and I wouldn't have a clear answer lol

I like this video on the basics of light properties a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-TwkMtPwc
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Return to Art Questions and Discussion