Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby everfae » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 am

everfae

Subject title: Being in art communities

I've been putting my art online for a few years now, although I have slowed down in the past 2 years or so.

Even when I was more active, i never really felt a part of any art community, from DeviantArt to the now closed down MangaBullet (who remembers that) and tumblr, I always felt like I was outside looking in. I don't post in any of these places anymore. It just feels like I was posting my work but I didn't have a circle of friends to grow artistically with- whether that made me feel less confident as a consequence, or the other way round, not being confident enough to enter an art community, i don't know. I think the underlying feeling was that I was never good enough or knew how to approach people whose art I liked and I wanted to befriend. Signing up on Sycra forums has given me some more hope, and I like that here there are all skill levels trying to improve. It's a nice refreshing change from the more intimidating art circles where everyone and their mom already seems so unattainably highly skilled. This is the place for artists who are willing to bear all their artistic struggle and frustrations!

Hey so who felt like that or how did you overcome it and have you had a good circle of online art friends? Curious to know as I feel like I missed out on that.
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:59 am

DarkLored123

I think that you are unnecessarily making it harder on yourself by depending on art communities to sort of increase your confidence. You don't need to depend on them to develop confidence in your artwork, simply get rid of the idea that your art isn't good enough and post it. Also there is no rule saying that you have to be apart of a community and post your artwork there, so I don't see why you feel an obligation to post things online in the first place, it is supposed to be a choice made by yourself on whether you want to share it or not and you are really not missing out on anything.

Now getting onto the main point, if you want a good circle of friends simply experiment and see what personalities you like. Personally I like people who are more serious rather than goofy and all that kind of stuff so I stay away from people that give off that sort of behavior and I've been in communities especially on discord where most of the activity is talking about mature content or people mouthing off over the smallest provocations. It is better for you to simply post a request in the art study/mentor request section really and be specific with which kind of people you want to talk with, so far for me only one decent person was produced from that search although I was the one who approached, you'll never find a good circle of people that match your beliefs.

I don't think you really need confidence to approach a person online, because that hardly requires any confidence in most cases because you have almost zero consequences if something goes wrong. Either way a tip from me, the smaller the circle the better. Your difference in art skill doesn't matter either, you can gain something from the person with the higher skills, as long as you treat that person equally as if he did not have that high skill in art to show that you don't solely want to gain something from him rather than get to know him you'll be fine.

Hope I've answered your questions and haven't went off topic :D

Postby azarga » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 pm

azarga

You don't have to post online.
You don't have to have (art-)friends.

Let them social butterflies have their weird fun, don't let other ppl convince you that having social interaction is the only way to go.

Be a recluse like me. Someday people will find my amazing artwork and be all woe because they didn't get to know me. Jokes on them, because I'll be long dead by then. And then they'll turn my apartment into a weird museum. And some fool will write my biography based on silly posts I made on the Internet.

Only part of this post is a joke.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby behxmot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:56 pm

behxmot

yeah I do feel that way, and judging by the amount of "everyone seems to be friends with each other except for me" posts on Twitter and Tumblr, I think a lot of people feel that way. It seems like there's this community, and you're a lonely bird looking through the window, but actually it's a hell of a lot of lonely birds looking longingly at tiny communities

my experience is similar to yours, it's hard to find a strong community that is also easy to get into. Also, it's so often that you hear "well, this was such a strong community a long time ago", and it's like you're never there in time lol

I think it's as Sinix said, "if I wanted to be a part of a community [that is like ConceptArt.org in the 200x] I'd probably go to Sycra.net and try to build one". Same with the circle of art friends, you build it, it's not a natural phenomenon
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Postby Kiminjoy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 am

Kiminjoy

What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this exact thing and how I should join art communities and actually post things online. Literally 5 seconds ago I made an account and the first post I see is this! Maybe it's fate, haha.

Unlike you, I haven't exactly been posting my art online for years. I did have a DeviantArt account that was dormant for a long time. However, I understand how you feel about that desire for a circle of artistically inclined friends to grow with.

I know that highly skilled artists are intimidating to approach. I think it's partially because you feel like you don't have much to offer, but I've come to realize that skill level actually doesn't matter in making art friends. The most important thing is looking for a person that actually clicks with you (which is hard enough as is). The only additional criteria is that they like to make art too. Art communities just happen to give you a higher chance of finding people who fit both.

My point is, we're not looking for Art Friends. We're looking for Friends who like to make art. And that's as organic as making friends any other way.

Postby arodude » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 am

arodude

It took me a while to build up an internet art friend circle but we all have different artistic goals which is why I find myself on this forum haha. I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be. When you're an outsider looking in you can make up all sorts of assumptions of people's relationships without really understanding the dynamics of the relationship.

At the end of the day artists are just people too, many with low confidence in their art. I think the key is to interact regularly with someone and eventually a relationship might bloom. Sometimes it may not since not everyone is compatible. Another thing I've noticed is having common interests (could be shows, books, comics, art issues) with others can act as a jumping off point of conversation. Ultimately it's about taking the initiative and interacting with people.

I feel like depending on the platform it may or may not be easy to interact with artists. In the past Tumblr had its clunky ask system of communicating and it was a little difficult talking with people. I've found Twitter to be a good place to network with artists because you can simply mention them and start talking. I think tumblr has changed since then though and it's easier to connect with people. I think this forum also has a discord somewhere, https://discord.me/page/artchat

Return to Art Questions and Discussion