Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby gricc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:47 am

gricc

Subject title: Is it bad that I've never studied any realism?

In my whole year of starting to take art seriously, I realized I never really took the time to master human anatomy or anything realistic. I believe I understand all the proportions and spacing, but it's not like I've ever painted/drew anything close to realism. If this a bad thing? I'm not sure if it'd impact my art or not. Thank you!
Sinix 2.0

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 am

DarkLored123

You dont need to learn realism to get good at art, realism first of all requires the knowledge of basic perspective, form, and shading. It is mostly about adding detail and pulling out the form.

From your sketchbook, in my opinion you lack perspective, form, and symmetry which I think are the most important. Even if you learn anatomy and how to draw realistically, you will be limited due to lack of advanced knowledge on the basics. I don't know your goals but if it is to be able to draw realistically then learn the skills required to do so.

A single year isn't a lot of time, you need to find exercises to gain the most benefits from. I've been drawing for almost 2 years yet I am always told that I need to strengthen my knowledge on perspectI've, symmetry, and proportions.

Drawabox exercises are really useful, they are a good test for determining your current stance and helps improve your overall skills, it mostly focuses on perspective, proportion and form so I recommend trying it.

Postby gricc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 pm

gricc

DarkLored123 wrote:You dont need to learn realism to get good at art, realism first of all requires the knowledge of basic perspective, form, and shading. It is mostly about adding detail and pulling out the form.

From your sketchbook, in my opinion you lack perspective, form, and symmetry which I think are the most important. Even if you learn anatomy and how to draw realistically, you will be limited due to lack of advanced knowledge on the basics. I don't know your goals but if it is to be able to draw realistically then learn the skills required to do so.

A single year isn't a lot of time, you need to find exercises to gain the most benefits from. I've been drawing for almost 2 years yet I am always told that I need to strengthen my knowledge on perspectI've, symmetry, and proportions.

Drawabox exercises are really useful, they are a good test for determining your current stance and helps improve your overall skills, it mostly focuses on perspective, proportion and form so I recommend trying it.

Thank you DarkLored, it really means a lot! I'll definitely try Drawabox.
Sinix 2.0

Postby Drawringer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:18 am

Drawringer

Yes, you should study real life. This doesnt mean you have to learn yo draw hyperrealisticly or anything, but you should study from real life if you really wanna improve.

Postby everfae » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:57 am

everfae

i'm not sure.
I never have either, but I'm no benchmark for a good artist. Studying realism of course has its benefits, if you'd like to draw realistically. It just depends on your own personal goals! But studying realism isn't the same as study of the world around you. You could and should be studying how real things work and are structured in order to understand them, but in studying realism all you could be doing is how to make a perfect copy of something without necessarily understanding it. That's alright if you wanna go for that, but yeah it just depends on which direction you want to take your art.
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion