Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:02 pm

UnorthodoxThing

Subject title: Smudge tutorial? Feedbacks on my tips!?

Hey, I was searching for some smudge tutorial online in the english world wide web, but none really does talk about when or how to smudge properly~

I decided to make a guidance on the topic. I have some idea. If you'd like to pitch in and help that would be great!

This is my current 'How to Smudge' guide.
How to smudge part 1.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby Josephcow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 am

Josephcow

I'm kinda confused. Is it a how to blend tutorial or how to smudge? Because on photoshop there is the smudge tool which does something very different than blending with the brush tool.

But apart from that I like the set up of the tutorial. I just feel like the examples could be more refined. Like they aren't blended together seamlessly.

I would also consider changing the word edge to corner. Corner, rounded corner, no corner. Or changing the terminology to hard-edge, firm-edge, soft edge. since people will know those terms.

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:36 am

UnorthodoxThing

Josephcow wrote:I'm kinda confused. Is it a how to blend tutorial or how to smudge? Because on photoshop there is the smudge tool which does something very different than blending with the brush tool.

But apart from that I like the set up of the tutorial. I just feel like the examples could be more refined. Like they aren't blended together seamlessly.

I would also consider changing the word edge to corner. Corner, rounded corner, no corner. Or changing the terminology to hard-edge, firm-edge, soft edge. since people will know those terms.

For the examples, I've only went and 'smudge' it once (hope that explains the roughness). Beside that I have CSP (Clip Studio Paint) and there's barely any decent blend tool. I just realised maybe 8/10 people use Photoshop (CC?). ahh, 'smudge' and 'blend' are the same kind of tool?

thx, for the terminology clarification. I definitely should change it. I've also thought maybe the settings for the brush could be a huge influence on it, such as, the 'hardness' or 'opacity' levels. That would be later when I've mess enough with the brush settings.

I'd like to show CSP blend tools. What would you consider blending or smudging? The '1x' and '2x' are how many times I went back (pen lifted) and blend again.
Tutorials diy test.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby Josephcow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 pm

Josephcow

Oooh i see, that's fine then. In photoshop, there's two different tools. And there's also a mixer brush which looks like the blend tool I guess. As something specific to CPS I'm sure this is fine.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion