Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby ActualDragonTears » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:48 am

ActualDragonTears

Subject title: Broken Record Here: Can't Draw

I'll draw a gesture, then build up the form with shapes in perspective, then I add the muscle groups, then go over that layer with the skin, but it never looks right? I know Its likely I've gotten proportions wrong, but I check and they're usually not the problem. The only way I can start drawing is to get a reference, trace it, take a small part I like, add onto it, and then erase the reference, sometimes I can't even do that. It just feels like something's stopping me from diving into the paper. I used to be able to draw fine without reference but everything i could draw no problem before
looks terrible now. Maybe my eye is getting better but back then I could draw something, even if I thought looked terrible, right now I can't get anything out. I have no idea if I'm incooperaring everything right in my drawings and I can't even draw anything original to get critique, all I can do independently is studies and even then they're not very good. Help?

Postby azarga » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm

azarga

Can you please finally link where you post your stuff? Or at least show some of it?

You keep asking random questions, which are unnecessarily difficult to answer in a precise way without seeing what u r actually doing. Otherwise it's just guesswork on part of people who take up the task of trying to give you constructive advice.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Moe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Moe

Yeah, post work.

Postby ActualDragonTears » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:46 am

ActualDragonTears

azarga wrote:Can you please finally link where you post your stuff? Or at least show some of it?

You keep asking random questions, which are unnecessarily difficult to answer in a precise way without seeing what u r actually doing. Otherwise it's just guesswork on part of people who take up the task of trying to give you constructive advice.
Moe wrote:Yeah, post work.

I understand me posting questions without photos is annoying, but I can't make anything to show. The only art I have is pieces with traced references in them, and even if I've drawn 99 percent of the picture, I wouldn't have a problem if I could just trace bits of references all the time. My problem, stated, is that I can't get anything out. It's easy enough to say just put the pencil down and draw, but it always ends up looking like something a seven year old drew. I know that makes it sound like my skill level is really low, but I know it can't be as bad as that because I can build a body off of a head. Maybe I can't focus? I don't know, but the issue is that I can't make anything, so I can't show anything to really demonstrate.

Postby Audiazif » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Audiazif

What is it you want to draw? What is it you want to say with your art? Why did you start drawing? The answers to these questions should point you to what you want to create. I mean it is always nice to want to make something "great" but if you have no direction you will get lost. Also the pressure of wanting to make something "great" could be causing an issue. You should always strive for greatness but if you fall short you shouldn't beat yourself up over it or give up. I know it is not a good feeling to make something that is not up to your standards, it sucks, but that is a part of learning any skill. You are going to mess up sometimes even when you think you know everything there is to know. I think you need to accept the fact you are not always going to make nice artwork. When you do make something not to your standards don't give up, push through and think "I'll fix what is wrong in the next drawing" or "I will do better in the next drawing".

I would also recommend the you stop tracing ref because it is a crutch and you do yourself no favors when you do it (you are not learning anything but how to trace better).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion