Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby laurenhiya21 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 pm

laurenhiya21

Subject title: How is posting your art online helping you or your art?

This may seem like an odd question (and sorry if it's poorly worded), but the reason I ask it is because I have a hard time posting my art consistently. Not only is is a lot of work for me to do so (scanning, editing, and uploading takes a while), but it's often stressful as well just because I'm not very confident in my art skills. Plus I guess it's hard for me to justify putting in a lot of work to upload if I don't know if it's helping or not.

So that's why I ask: How is posting your art online helping you or your art?

Postby azarga » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 pm

azarga

TBH, it doesn't :)
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Oli » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Oli

It does help tons when getting critique and feedback!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Moe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:47 am

Moe

It depends on the community on how willing you are to listen to critique. Some communities are more "hug boxy" while others are more constructive. It also depends on your mindset, all the critique in the world won't help you if you aren't willing to admit your weaknesses and find ways to improve upon it. In general though, I think posting your work online will facilitate your progress. Not only will you get comments on what's wrong but you'll also get comments on what you're doing great which I think will push you in a better direction.

Postby Josephcow » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:40 am

Josephcow

I don't know I just feel like it's nice to have an audience. even if it's just a couple hundred followers on instagram it still feels good to feel like your making art to be seen by more people than just you. Gives you validity as an artist. Sort of like, if tree falls...

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Fantelle

This applies purely to these forums: the feedback is great. I've gotten very valuable advice both in the sketchbook and
    critique section, and from Sycra himself during a personal critique (which I highly recommend, check out his Patreon).

Postby laurenhiya21 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 am

laurenhiya21

OK, if a lot of you guys think it's been helpful, then I'll try posting my art again. I'll just have to figure out how to make it less stressful for myself I guess :?

Postby gricc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:41 am

gricc

It's also great to keep me drawing, before I started posting I would take long breaks, like 2 months at a time
Sinix 2.0

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:28 pm

DarkLored123

I'd say that you shouldn't expect much from posting online, itll influence you the same way a person likes/dislikes your posts on social media.

Also I recommend that you seek critiques from people who are experienced in art, they'll give you more accurate criticism than what you'll get on forums and it is more important that you learn to critique yourself rather than always depending on 3rd parties to mention what's wrong g with the piece.

Posting online is simply a chore and won't make much difference in your skill level, it feeds your ego more than provide knowledge, just look at the various sketchbooks in the forum and look at any other sharing website and the chances of someone going out of their way and give you a critique without you asking for one is low.

Although it is good to request critiques when you want to get input from an experienced artist you don't always have to pay, at least the one I seek critique from doesn't require pay.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion