Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby ActualDragonTears » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 am

ActualDragonTears

Subject title: Do figure drawings actually help you improve?

I think I've studied all the anatomy I neee to know to draw a figure, and while I could move on to deeper details, I also want to start drawing figures. I do sketches and a few figure drawings everyday, but I don't know if it's actually improved my art. My details are all off and i don't know how to draw little things like the the sternum or the serratus. I could draw a figure but I don't think it would have any skill. The contour doesn't compliment the details, it doesn't add any volume, and I'm not sure how to fix it. If I do figure drawings all day, everyday, will anything improve? Will I get better at details? I'd also like to note, I can't go to live drawing sessions, so I have to rely on pictures. Another note, I suck at gesture, but I think I'm getting better. Though I'm still not sure how to incoorperate gesture into figures..

Postby Mandilor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:59 am

Mandilor

Short answer yes.

The longer answer is a lot of improving your art is practice. Figure drawing is one of the few things that allow you to practice just about everything at the same time or just one thing at a time. So it's as simple or complex as you want it.

It also helps that putting figures in your finished pieces will always be relevant.

Postby Josephcow » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Josephcow

You might not be seeing improvement because you are going about it the wrong way.

I have done many figure drawings from life and photos and I have never even drawn a sternum or the serratus. Those tiny details are just not worth focusing on. You should be looking at the big moveable masses (head, ribcage, pelvis) and drawing them the right size and position. trying to get proportions right. And trying to capture the gesture of the pose. Small anatomical details are pretty much irrelevant until you get the big picture correct. It can be confusing as to what you are even supposed to draw, Bridgman's book might clear some things up.

My advice is don't just draw the contour, draw forms. The limbs as cylinders, the ribcage head and pelvis as boxes.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Audiazif

People don't recommend figure drawing because figure drawing = improvement, it is what figure drawing teaches you that makes people recommend it. There are a lot of fundamental skills you need to use to figure draw that can also be carried over into other areas of art. Like mentioned above figure drawing teaches proportions and how to simplify complex forms. You also can learn foreshortening(perspective), form, gesture, abstraction, and a lot more. Almost every fundamental skill can be use in figure drawing.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion