Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby tokigami.kineko » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:43 pm

tokigami.kineko

Subject title: A good workspace for Cintiq 22HD.

I bought a cheap chinese metal computer desk at around 100USD for Cintiq 22HD.

This setup seems ok because I can access the keyboard under the built-in slidable keyboard tray even when my body almost touches the glass frame. But, for a good setup, I'd have to attach a monitor arm to the upright monitor so that I can raise it above cintiq when cintiq rises up. I can probably attach a monitor arm to it, but I wonder if this cheap desk's tempered glass can withstand a monitor arm.

Does anyone know a better setup?

cintiq_workspace_01.jpg

cintiq_workspace_02.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Audiazif

I have an ergotron arm for my cintiq. To me that is the best solution because you can position it however you like and you have more options on what to do with the setup. You can move it completely out of the way if you need to use the desk space and you can pull it right into your lap like a drawing board. The one thing you would need is a sturdy place to mount it. I don't know if the desk in your picture would work for an ergotron. I have the one that mounts to the desk, I have no clue if the wall mounted is able to support the cintiq. My desk kind of flexes at the mount a little so I am thinking that would be bad for a glass top desk.

I wouldn't go as far to say this is better than your setup. I can't us my keyboard when I have it in my lap and I wish I got the taller mount so I could also use it standing without having to bend over.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby azarga » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 am

azarga

I would strongly advice against mounting any kind of arm onto that glass. You never know if the panel of glass in chinese table is actually tempered.

I would advice mounting monitor arm to the wall. If the wall is not sturdy enough or you really don't want to damage it for some reason, you can assemble a simple support frame using wooden planks and mount the arm on it.
Or you can just change the number of books under the second monitor, works just as well and also gives you a tiny bit extra physical activity.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby tokigami.kineko » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:45 am

tokigami.kineko

azarga wrote:I would strongly advice against mounting any kind of arm onto that glass. You never know if the panel of glass in chinese table is actually tempered.

I would advice mounting monitor arm to the wall. If the wall is not sturdy enough or you really don't want to damage it for some reason, you can assemble a simple support frame using wooden planks and mount the arm on it.
Or you can just change the number of books under the second monitor, works just as well and also gives you a tiny bit extra physical activity.

I think it is a good idea to place a small desk next to my metal desk and attach a monitor arm to it.

Postby azarga » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:52 am

azarga

Actually, another thing you can try, is placing thin planks from both planes of your glass panel in a place where you're going to mount the arm, long and wide enough to distribute the pressure of screw more evenly on the panel. I think 7-10mm thick should be enough to allow you to screw the mount bolt firmly enough without warping the plank too much. If it does warp, you can tighten it to the glass panel with vice type holders to each side.

Or your option with another table. Depends on how much space you have.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion