Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby nopestillanoobnot » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm

nopestillanoobnot

Subject title: Highly Recommended book on Perspective not working out

Perspective has always been the bane of my art experience, so I looked up recommended resources which led me to Scott Robertson's How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination. Now I've heard many good things about this book, so I ended up buying it, and long story short I don't understand anything at all. I've only gone through the first 23 pages or so before hitting a wall on page 24 where he starts talking about Visual Ray method and technical terms I just can't seem to wrap my head around (degrees, mathematical angle sums for vanishing points 75/15 60/30 45/45?????). For someone who's just recently failed a geometry exam this did not fall not short of shortcircuiting my brain, and it's so frustrating because I spent money on what is praised as a bible of perspective. What's even more annoying is that the videos accompanying this book, which are frequently said to be "sooo helpful/informative", don't cut it for me either. I don't have the luxury to be spending a year or so on this book, getting stuck and shit. If there's anyone who's had experience with this book, or can recommend easier titles for someone's who looking to draw perspective for animation I'd really appreciate it...

Postby Kam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Kam

How to Draw is good, it's just not good for a beginner because it doesn't explain the very basics very well, the visual ray method is a somewhat altered and simplified version of the full perspective setup which you don't need to know to draw things in perspective, if you google perspective projection you'll see some examples of how perspective works but in general as long as you're simply aware of what the horizon line is, what vanishing points and know what they do you're already ahead of a lot of people.
For a start it's good to get an idea of 1, 2 and 3 point perspective and what they do, for that there are tons of tutorials online that explain it simply and well.
http://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-exp ... -400167286

http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/The-Pe ... l-94166651

http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/art/Per ... -118068853

It's extremely helpful and crucial to observe perspective in real life, you can also try figuring out the perspective of photos by tracing the lines and finding the HL and VPs.

At the end you'll just have to study and research until you understand, it's a dry subject and that can't really be helped, you can also look up the book "Perspective Made Easy"

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 pm

DarkLored123

Books and tutorials will only teach you about perspective theoretically and quite honestly unless you try to use it in your drawings you'll never learn how to use it properly. Following the rules of perspective too literally will impose limitations on your ability to draw things from many different angles, you are much better off if you treat perspective as a camera or as a POV of a person and use the vanishing points as guides that tell you where you are looking at.

For example, we start with a vanishing point in the center and move it slowly on the horizon line to the left, where is the camera turning it's head? The answer is to the right, perspective is a simplification of the six vanishing points that are located at the endpoints of the X,Y and Z axis so instead of using six regularly, we only use 3 because that's our visual limit in reality and the three other points can be used to attain certain visual affects like a fisheye type of lens.

You'll only learn about it by observing and thinking about how you can make perspective work in a certain scene, I recommend getting a free 3D program such as SketchUp and using it to make your observations.

The mathematical angles that he mentions in the book of the sum of angle is basically to illustrate that the sum of both angles that the vanishing points are making should be 90 degrees for it to be correctly in perspective, it is basic geometry and not that hard if you don't stress over it in your mind. You don't necessarily need to be super accurate with it but as long as you keep in mind that rule then you are fine.

I hope I was of help to you.

Postby kipzi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 am

kipzi

You can try norlings or a YouTube video

Postby rockmor » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 am

rockmor

Scott Robertson has some good stuff (I like his matte rendering methods), but in general I never really liked him. He is a bit too technical for my taste.
The best thing I've seen on perspective is the set of lectures by Marshall Vandruff. They are just awesome and very easy to understand. Plus the teacher is really funny.
Also, "Creative Perspective for Artists and Illustrators" book by Ernest Watson is very good and beginner friendly.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:28 am

Ambiguity

I can vouch for the Marshall Vandruff videos being good, unfortunately they are VHS quality, so they are quite blurry(but they are like $12 iirc so you get what you pay for).

Return to Art Questions and Discussion