Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Scissel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 am

Scissel

Subject title: How do you draw your Skeleton?

Hello there,

I'm interested in how everyone on this forum draws their initial skeleton before they actually start to define the anatomy.
So what I thought would be interesting is if everyone posted their methods for drawing their skeleton, I'd also be interested to see how you develop your anatomy too.

So hopefully you post away, Thanks!

*Edit

If you could guys I'd rather you'd post quick sketches if possible so this Thread will act as collection of everyone's personal ways of approaching a drawing.
Also If you do post your sketches could you show some variations in how you approach different body structure's (Wider, Taller, Thinner, etc)

Thanks to anyone who contributes!
Last edited by Scissel on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Brian Kouhi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 am

Brian Kouhi

Hahaha! i think this is a Great Idea, i been thinking of making a post like this for a few days now! :D
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 am

Dream

Keep in mind that my drawing skills are pretty low, but: Start with the spine or head (generally former if it's a more dynamic pose) then sketch the ribcage and set things like the clavicle positioning and pelvis direction, sketch extremities (usually with a gesture of the bones) then check if everything's proper. After that, develop anatomy/musculature.

Should probably mention that this is only my most general way of going about it, since i occasionally vary the method depending on the situation.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby stnkjuc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:16 pm

stnkjuc

Hmmm, I'm a little all over the place:

Hips -> rib cage and positioning -> legs -> traps and delts -> neck -> calves and feet -> jaw and rest of head -> arms and hands -> face

And by the end of it, I hope I haven't missed anything

Postby Waveloop » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Waveloop

Scissel I think you should start to do one yourself without influences.
Just do what you usually do.
I'll be posting my approach in a minute, I'm going to do some stuff

Postby Total100 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:41 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

i use a few methods.
for simple (Look at fig 1) poses from the side or back or front i use the vectology method of hips, ribcage and tubes for arms and legs, sometimes though when i need to have a complex pose with forshortaning i used (look at fig 2) the cup-for-ribcage method. it just alows me to see the torso as more of a 3d object, a square is easier to put into perspective then a oval (ribcage) then of coarse i round it out and add muscles.
sometimes when i have a good idea of what i want i just... draw, with no method i doodle loosely the idea and then go over it and add muscles instantly. (look at fig 3), in this example i was EXTRA loose but your get the idea.

fig 1-2-3:

some examples of how i used it:
Spoiler: show

The torso of this person was done using the cube method of forshortaning that is seen in fig 2.

In this image focus on the top left two. the kid with the gun and the guy punching. i didnt use any method i just drew it in the first try. i used the method in fig 3

this is a old image so its not perfect but i used the (fig 1) vectology method in this one.

as for adding muscles... i add the head, then the neck and then i add the neck loosely, then i add the arms, deltoid and clavical, from the clavical i add the pecktoral muscles, then the rib cage and abs and then legs, nothing speceil i just draw them with no method
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 am

Ambiguity

I draw the rib cage with the costal marigin, first rib, clavicles, and sternum defined; then the pelvis with the illiac crest defined; then I gesture out the legs; then the head; and lastly the arms. After all that I slowly build up the anatomy(what little I know anyway); mind you I have yet to fully flesh out a character with this method, but it fills like a better place to start than just winging everything like I used to.

Postby Waveloop » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

Waveloop

So my approach is pretty intuitive and not very methodical at all, I never make measures, I do draw wire figures if I'm struggling with the pose, but most of the time I just do motion lines keeping in mind body shape and anatomy... I normally include anatomy form right from the start. There are a couple of things I always do though. I always start of thinking mood attitude and movement... And I always draw the head first 99% of the times... motion almost always starts in the head, posture almost always references to the head. Motion and posture, thus pose, rely on vestibular input, The vestibular system is located deep within the inner hear and tells you where your head is in space, everything else follows this reference. It's like having a string attached to a ball, wherever you trow the ball the string will follow... The next thing I think of are the feet, the rest is just connecting the dots.

If I'm comfortable enough I just do everything in one layer, on setting, and then, just clean the line-work.

My approach is a little different with babes :D I do think things more carefully and have double the attention when I place a line.

Here are some examples
sk.jpg
sk3.jpg
sk4.jpg
sk2.jpg
spin kick.jpg

Postby alnoth » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm

alnoth

wave you dont qualify, he asked about the skeleton - you dont draw one at all! ;)

Postby Total100 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

alnoth wrote:wave you dont qualify, he asked about the skeleton - you dont draw one at all! ;)

lol ill just say it for him: "haters gunnu hate"
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Scissel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Scissel

Waveloop wrote:Scissel I think you should start to do one yourself without influences.
Just do what you usually do.
I'll be posting my approach in a minute, I'm going to do some stuff

Yeah I really don't have a good way of creating forms so I'm interested in how you guys/girls approach body structures.

Interestingly I found this, link below to full tutorial.

Skeleton.png

http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Anatomy-Tutorial-27484310

Postby alnoth » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:21 pm

alnoth

something about that figure looks way off... too skinny or something... if its a female, she has no hips.

Postby Waveloop » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Waveloop

hey some times I do....

:lol:
sk7.jpg

but sometimes I really do ... :D

sk6.jpg

Postby Total100 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Total100

LOL

pppperrrvvvyy skeliton.
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Zjacklee

alnoth wrote:wave you dont qualify, he asked about the skeleton - you dont draw one at all! ;)

LOL! :lol:
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion