Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Verax » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Verax

Subject title: A Beginner

G'day!
I found this forum today.

I have always been interested in drawing and used to draw to a great extent many years ago. However, I started to draw again at 24 years old, but, don't know where to begin. Should I begin with anatomy at once? or should I do something easy? Draw something everyday? So how and where to begin?
I want to progress not that fast, but want to study and draw art at a slow pace.

Regards,
Verax

Postby SeaQuenchal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:19 pm

SeaQuenchal

Hi Verax, welcome to the forum! The question of where to begin can seem like an overwhelming prospect, but being a younger or less experienced artist is a sort of bitter-sweet place to be, because on one hand you have so much ahead of you, but on the other hand, you can't really go wrong. Any drawing, especially daily drawing, will get you all kinds of good experience: Building dexterity, improving your eye, building and becoming more aware of your visual library etc... and you'll start developing in those areas relatively quickly. Hard to give specific advice not knowing where you are exactly in your xp level but I think the more you draw, you will start to notice for yourself the "holes in your armor," meaning when you have ideas for pictures you want to make, you'll soon discover if, for example, perspective is something you really need to work on, or if proportions of the figure is something you could spend some time learning, etc..

You bring up anatomy so it seems like you're interested in learning to draw the figure well. Studying anatomy will always serve you well as an artist, but you may want to focus more on proportions first, drawing from the Loomis book Figure Drawing for All It's Worth would be a good start because you could describe the coolest looking anatomy in the world and if it's out of proportion then it'll still look really bad.

If your interests are to do art as a hobby/leisure activity then there's certainly no wrong way to approach it, just draw what's fun for you! But even in that case, there will be smarter, more effective routes to take to improve your skills sooner than later, and let's be honest, the better your skills are the more fun you're going to have, right? Before giving too much advice it would be good to see where you are in your skill level so post as many recent drawings as you can. Also share some of your interests, what artists do you like? What styles do you like? Do you have any artistic goals, do you want to make comics? Do illustrations? Animations? But just as general advice there are foundation skills you can start learning and obviously a great place to learn what these are and how to build these skills are by browsing Sycra's youtube channel. Perspective, line quality, values, proportions, anatomy, all of these are legit and fun areas of study. Oh and master studies are always fun and build a lot of skill. Hope this was somewhat helpful and looking forward to seeing some of your drawings.
"Every artist was first an amateur." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Constant dripping hollows out a stone." -Lucretius

Check out my sketchbook!
Watch me on deviantART!!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!!!

Postby Steeliebob » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:54 am

Steeliebob

You're not to old to learn drawing. They say children pick things up faster but in my experience older people are better at spotting weaknesses and making a plan on how to tackle them. Also a better ability to do research.

The first thing I did when drawing was making copys from the book of Michael Hampton.
It is pretty hard but will give you an idea of not just ''how to construct the human body'' but also how to simplefy things and thinking in 3d.

If think that Andrew Loomis is a bit more beginner friendly.
Fun with a pencil (good for absolute beginner): https://archive.org/details/Andrew_Loom ... h_a_Pencil
Book on figure drawing : https://archive.org/details/Andrew_Loomis_Figure_Draw
Heads and hands: https://archive.org/details/andrew-loom ... head-hands

I have a book from Bridgeman to. But It's the hardest to understand of the 3. In my opinion ofcourse.

Remember that fun is an important part. If you get tired of a subject, take a break and move on to another for the time being.

GL!

Postby biosphere » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:29 pm

biosphere

Hehe. It's funny how different people are.

I found Loomis useless for my needs and Bridgman right up my alley. Bridgman's concepts and methods are much easier for me to grasp.

I started drawing again at 31 OP, so don't worry. You'll smash through this and be pro in no time. I'll try to say what has worked for me so far.

Depending on what you want to draw, I suggest you watch videos of good people drawing. Try to go along with the videos and copy what they do. My first priority would be to find a unifying method of constructing your art. Until you find that, read a basic perspective tutorial or the like (they're mostly all the same) and try to draw boxes, cylinders etc. etc. in perspective at all kinds of placements and angles. When you've found a person you wish to emulate, or someone you feel inspired by enough to copy from. (Sorry... "STUDY" from) just get to it. See how they work and imitate it. Within a rather short amount of time you will notice how that kind of study will enable you to internalize a few processes. Where to begin. Levels of detail. How to finish etc. Theres a reason art is traditionally an apprenticeship, so if you have an opportunity to watch masters at work, that would be my main priority. We are very lucky to live in the age of the internet, where things like that are readily available 24 hours a day.

As for if you wonder "when should I do my own stuff?" I would have to say whenever you want! In fact I would maybe rather say as often as possible. For a realistic view on progress and pride as well. I would perhaps suggest that you don't worry about your results in the first year of learning to draw. You need to fill your mind with all those great theories and methods and techniques. And worrying about if your work is good or bad is just a waste of time.

A good idea is that everyone is born with a hundred thousand bad drawings in them. Every time you draw. It's a lottery. But because there are so many bad drawings in there, the chances are high it will be bad. So try to do some. Get them out. The more drawings you do. The more bad ones you do as well (Not intentionally bad... I hope you catch my drift) and when you've gotten enough bad drawings out, the good ones will have a better chance of escaping as well.

There are many great names you can try to look up. Steve Huston, Glenn Vilppu, Stan Prokopenko, Jeff Watts, Sycra Yasin (but you knew that last one ;D) Sinix? Anyway. There are many many great guys and gals out there (the gals just escaped me for the moment) And like I said. I would suggest you try to find yourself an "internet rolemodel" that you can study their work and hopefully see as much as possible on how they do their stuff. It took me a long time to figure out the right kind of methods for me. When I finally did and it finally clicked, I made some actual progress.

So if you're not falling asleep at this point in the post. Let me reiterate. If you need some review of the drawing basics. Like others say, check out proko.com for instance. Or drawabox.com . That works too. Then your quest to find an internet idol begins. And from there you will be doing a LOT of "studies". Aka, copying them and their methods. And when you've done that for a while.. Well... I won't say for sure, but I think you'll probably be able to stake out your own path from there.

Postby LucidLucifer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:53 pm

LucidLucifer

I'm in the same spot but I'm a decade your senior! :)

I'm hoping to overcome the little voice that says "no you can't".

Currently I've been checking out stuff on perspective, as well as figure drawing that deals with proportions, anatomy, etc.

Believe me I'm still overwhelmed by all that there is available as far as learning tools are concerned. I almost feel like we have to create our own curriculum based on our own resource gathering, question asking, and anything else that can help us get our heads wrapped around this subject! :o :lol: :D

Postby bunnyvoid » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:24 am

bunnyvoid

I don't know if this is a proper reply since this thread is old but I can relate to the topic.
Most of the posts here seem old...

I am the same way, a beginner.
I finished Loomis' Fun with a pencil and did all the exercises a few months back. I tackled Creative Illustration soon after. But I got bored and confused with the way Loomist taught perspective. So I got Scott Robertson's books instead. But then when I got to the section planes part, I felt that it was too advance for me... So I went back and looked for something more friendly to a beginner like me. I found out about ctrlpaint by Matt Kohr and got a few of his premium vids and decided that his pace was much better fit for me.

So right now, i'm tearing through ctrlpaint's workshop videos.
If anyone else is taking ctrl paint's workshop, I'd love to exchange worksheets to see if i'm doing it right.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion