Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Belu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Belu

Subject title: I can't visualise stuff but can I draw them

December 10,2019

Sir,I am dipendra I am 17 year old
I've been working hard on Drawing form 2years and also makeing some progress I want to be professional concept artist that's why I am focusing on draw better figure drawing and character drawing but drawing poses gave me I wasn't able to visualise my character or poses I thought everyone one Faces this some time ago
Then I stumbled upon a thing called aphasia ( Aphantasia is the suggested name for a condition where one does not possess a functioning mind's eye and cannot voluntarily visualize imagery.[ )
I have this
I can't visualise anything in my mind
I can only draw it on paper then make changes in it now this thing is giving me some seariues stress so can please help me and answer these questions
1.will this stop me from being a great artist like my big inspiration Karl kopinski ?
2.does this means I can't draw from my imagination ?
3. Is there other artists who have this? problem but can still draw good
4. What should I do about it cause people drawing requires alot of visualisation?

Thanks
It will be really helpful if you give some advice

Postby svarn » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 pm

svarn

I'm not going to say you don't have it, but I'd suggest not to self diagnose yourself with anything.
Do you remember what your parent or friends face looks like ? If you do then you're likely totaly fine.

Sycra used to say something similar to you, based on comparing himself to BobMeatbag. This seems unlikely as well to me.
But if you both have it then you can do what he can.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Audiazif

Well first off, Aphasia and Aphantasia are two different conditions. I am assuming you think you have Aphantasia because Aphasia is a result of brain damage. Looking at the limited work you have posted on this forum, I doubt you have Aphantasia.

I think your problem may just be lack of visual library. Being able to draw from imagination is more like drawing from what you have already drawn and to an extent what you have already seen. I wouldn't jump to Aphantasia unless you also can't visualize in other activities besides art, like maybe in reading a book or doing math in your head (doing what you'd do on paper only in your head).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Belu » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:04 am

Belu

It's not not porblem of my visual library but the thing is that I can't draw anything in my mind I just can't visualise whatever I want to draw on paper for example I can't think of a pose just form my mind first I have to draw something(cuboid cylinder or geture line) and change it alot to turn it into what I wanted

Postby Audiazif » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:22 am

Audiazif

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't sound like Aphantasia.

It sounds pretty normal to have to get something on the canvas to be able to draw something. You start with simple shapes, masses, or lines then build on top of those with more and more detail, there is nothing wrong with that. That is how I learned to do draw and that is how I still draw. Being able to visualize poses and objects in your head is a skill that takes more than 2 years to develop. That is why I said it might be an issue with visual library, you need to draw and analyze more poses and objects to be able to recall them later. If you haven't drawn something before or you have drawn it only a few times, of course it is going to be difficult to draw it from your head.

You mentioned Karl Kopinski. Are you thinking you need to start out drawing the way he does? If you think that, then there is no wonder you think there is something wrong. The way he draws has very little to do with how good of an artist he is. At the end of the day, he is a good artist because he puts out good work.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Mystipen » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:49 pm

Mystipen

Just thought I'd pitch in since I find this subject interesting. Here's the thing about imagination, it is a tool to help you generate ideas not give you the answers as to how to go about drawing them. You can't visualize and draw at the same time because you are effectively asking your brain to multitask between daydreaming and actually drawing, and it is simply not possible to know every mark you want to make without the necessary experience. When you do not use reference to draw your subject, you are effectively relying on your "visual library" and that term is just a fancy way to say memory. Your brain is not capable of storing images in great detail because it is simply useless info, your memory only stores patterns about a specific subject not the actual subject itself, hence why a lot of artists break down their anatomy into simple forms to distill the subject into basic patterns that they can recall later on. In order to store such patterns, you actually need to study the subject you are interested and draw them from reference to learn the basic patterns of their anatomy and only after you've done enough studies can you attempt to recall those patterns from memory without reference. You can't simply store information and never attempt to recall it with the expectation that later down the road you magically will, your brain stores information that repeats itself over a course of a certain period of time into your long term memory, and without actively recalling that information you stored which is very challenging, your brain will simply dispose of that info after a short period of time.

So my suggestion, instead of trying to draw from imagination which is a complete waste of time if you are a beginner that is still working on their technical skills, you should instead focus on learning the anatomy of your subject, memorize it, and then recall it from memory when studying from reference. Here is an example, lets say you are learning the anatomy of the torso, you've read about it and studied it thoroughly, so now your job is to take a reference photo from the net and break it down using the information you've just learned which is how you flex your recall abilities. Don't try to draw something from imagination because you'll simply have to deal with too many problems at the same time such as, perspective, composition, lighting, and placement of the figure's anatomy. You are trying to jump to the fun stuff and compete with the pros before even going through the process that everyone else has to go through. Looking for something such as aphasia/aphantasia to blame for your inability to visualize is simply turning your back to the problem which is your lack of experience and skill, you need to go through the boring stuff before you can jump to the fun projects. Art students spend considerable amount of their time improving their skills rather than spending the majority of their time creating projects, don't let social media pressure you into a production mindset as that is exactly what they want you to do.

Lastly, if your perspective skills are weak, then drawing from imagination is pretty much out of the question. You need to be able to construct a 3D space before you can even draw your subject because the perspective in which you are viewing your subject from matters and will drastically dictate how your subject will be seen posed from said angle. Learning perspective the proper way before attempting to freehand it will give you a greater understanding of how it works. I recommend you master your fundamentals before attempting to do such high level operations such as drawing from your memory. The less excuses you make and the quicker you start being honest with yourself, the faster you will start making progress towards your goal.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion