Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby DirectorInSpe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

DirectorInSpe

Subject title: How to practice systematically?

Each of the fundamentals contains so much to learn that you could spend years on it.
Also one could spend years on just figure drawing and still improve.
How could one practice everything at once and do it systematically and not get caught up in endless practice?

Postby Josephcow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:16 am

Josephcow

I think most everyone on this forum would consider themselves still practicing. So you might not get a great answer on that. But just for reference, I think about practicing like trying to learn something specific. For example, you don't really "learn figure drawing", that doesn't really make sense because like you said, there's a lot of things within that, so when you're just sitting down and drawing 10 minute poses for a few hours, what are you actually trying to do?

You can however, learn how light works, and use that to practice shading to turn form. Or practice accuracy of proportion. Both of these are crucial for figure drawing, so by doing that you will automatically improve at figure drawing.

So I guess my advice is don't practice everything at once. I just try to figure out how to do one simple thing, and let that lead me to the next thing and so on and so forth.

When I was first starting out, I just kinda did stuff, and called it practicing. Which is fine, but I didn't really improve much until I had some goals. I got goals by comparing my work directly with art that I loved, and wanted to be able to make myself, and seeing what's different about it.

Postby Moe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 am

Moe

And that is the beauty in art my friend. The endless grind, always knowing that there is something to improve on. Art isn't like a video where you max out lvl 100 in figure drawing and perspective. The grind never stops.

The way most pro artists do it is that they get a general understanding of their fundamentals. There is an interesting principle called the 80/20 rule where 20% of a subject essentially covers 80% of it or something along the lines of that. And then they specialize in whatever they want to work in, like feng zhu specializes in environments, others may specialize in portraits, if you go on pixiv you'll see artists specializing in drawing cute anime grills.

Postby Kam » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:47 am

Kam

I've thought about this a lot and what I tried to do to make myself stop from endlessly grinding is to call it "good enough for now" at a certain point and move on, when you practice something too much your mind kinda becomes numb towards it, when you switch subjects you give yourself a chance to cool off on the previous subject, it also helps keep things more interesting.
The biggest issue I've had for a long time was having long stretches of studies and little to no application to figure out what stuck and what didn't, so even if the information is in my head I can't recall it because of the imbalance in study vs application so that's something I think is worth keeping in mind.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 am

Ambiguity

DirectorInSpe wrote:How could one practice everything at once and do it systematically and not get caught up in endless practice?

Each fundamental necessitates the others, you really can't learn them linearly, as Joseph sort of pointed out. You're pretty much having to constantly rotate between them as problems arise. As for not getting "caught up in endless practice", as Moe stated, the practice is endless by nature, and it's actually the case for pretty much anything that isn't a 1 part skill(like flicking a light switch on or off). Like most things, this is one of those "use it or lose it" type skills as Kam brought out; your brain likes to get rid of things it doesn't deem necessary to your daily life, so, much like an athlete, we need the constant practice and application of it in order to even maintain our skills.

TL;DR: You are always "ready" to make art, you can never be "good enough" to not need to practice anymore, and there is always more room for improvement if you so desire.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion