Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby DirectorInSpe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:04 pm

DirectorInSpe

Subject title: I want to be a freelance artist / Art director

I want to become a great Freelance Artist, who people commission.
I want a reputation that makes people say "If this guy does the job, it will be really cool!"

How should one go about it, how does one make a good name for themself?

(is Sycra's way a good way? He is pretty famous on youtube, but he claims his financial situation is disastrous. So building an audience on youtube is a bad idea?)

Also in the future I might want to become an art director, who gets paid at least 100k a year, one day even 1mill a year.
What does one have to be able to do and how to go about it?
I heard that its not all about the pure skill, but about knowing how the industry works, but how does one possibly learn such matters?

Postby Kam » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Kam

I don't have any professional experience (yet) but I think it's important that you make sure you're actually passionate about art and don't just think it's cool to be all you said, like it would've been cool if I was a black belt but am I actually willing to go through all the rigorous training and hardships for it? for me the answer is no.

Anyway assuming art is your life and you breathe it from the moment you wake up till you sleep, to stand out you need to have a unique niche, to achieve this you basically have to seek that out of what your interests are and also what things you possibly have a knack for, some people have a knack for highly detailed line drawings, some for gesture and fluidity, some for their color usage and so on, you discover these over time as you learn more and are also more involved in art. speaking for myself I look at art everyday and for some time I've been drawing everyday even if for a little while and over time I've realized what I gravitate towards more than other things and realized certain things are easier for me to grasp than others.

It's definitely not just skill as you said, I'm not sure how feasible it is to be a freelancer right off the bat but gaining fame on the internet is definitely a good way to go about it as the more your following grows the more you gain recognition, for that I think it's best to put your stuff out on multiple platforms, popular ones nowadays are Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Artstation, there's more but those are what I see a lot, it's important to appear professional, writing a wall of text about your dog on a drawing that has nothing to do with a dog for example can put off a potential commissioner or someone who wants to hire you for a project.

I don't know about Youtube but there are a handful of artists that built their audience through Youtube, Proko is one of the best examples.

I'd like to see a pro reply to this as there's a lot I want to know about how to potentially break into the industry as well, also it's worth mentioning that Bobby Rebholz talks about this in an hour long audio about his life as an artist and what he went through to get to where he is, you can grab that for free from his Gumroad so I recommend that.

Postby DirectorInSpe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:58 pm

DirectorInSpe

Thank you very much, Kam!

Postby arodude » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:11 pm

arodude

I think you might find https://dearartdirector.tumblr.com/ useful. It's a blog where anonymous art directors working in the industry answer questions from aspiring professionals and professionals. They also answer questions about art direction/becoming an art director.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion