Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Brooklyn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 pm

Brooklyn

Subject title: Felling overwhelmed.

Hi there, so i am 18 now and started to draw in the beginning of 2018.
And at this point i feel kinda stuck.

Over the the last year i wanted to understand the basics of the fundamentels, so i mostly drew gesture ,form ,perspective ,anatomy, and did very little actually finished art.
Now that i got the basics under my hat i dont really know where to beginn. While i got a decent Visual libary from Nature, reading and watching a lot of movies i also feel like that i can`t draw anything.
I have no idea how to draw a somewhat realistic dog or a tank for example.
And Because of that i don´t really know where to begin. i know it sounds Chessy ,but i want to be able to draw like Jake parker and be able draw machines,dragons from my head, but every time the pen touches the paper i feel like i know nothing.

So what would you recommend me to do.

Postby fi_le » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 am

fi_le

This sounds like a situation in which a good old project work could help. Think of a piece that would take you about a month to finish, for example drawing up a little comic or illustrating a short story and then follow through on it.

You're facing a psychological problem here, not a technical one, so the solution will have to be a new source of motivation and in my experience, a more challanging task can be a huge motivator. Keep in mind that of course you will fail - like every single artisan/painter/etc. before you - but also that a big project involving the problems you want to solve is a big step towards your dream.

If you do decide to take my advice, it might also help you to post your progress on here. That way you'll have a sort of diary as well.

I hope you can sort your issues out a little better having read this! Have a great day.

Postby azarga » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:38 pm

azarga

Brooklyn wrote:While i got a decent Visual libary from Nature, reading and watching a lot of movies

wat? passively consuming media doesn't improve your visual library. Expanding it requires actual work: careful observation, study and analysis.

Brooklyn wrote: i got the basics under my hat i dont really know where to begin

okay, but

Brooklyn wrote:but every time the pen touches the paper i feel like i know nothing

nope, you ain't got them under your hat yet. At least that's my guess form limited info you provide (no sketchbook, no examples of work).

Otherwise what fi_le wrote. Try actually doing something tangible, something "finished" to see where current amount of what you've "got under your hat" gets you, then post it somewhere and ask people for directions on where to focus your further efforts.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Audiazif » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Audiazif

I agree with what is stated above.

Brooklyn wrote:i want to be able to draw like Jake parker and be able draw machines,dragons from my head, but every time the pen touches the paper i feel like i know nothing.

You mentioned Jake Parker, I looked him up and went to his YouTube page. The video that auto plays on his main page (Finished Not Perfect) states the exact thing you need to be doing, or at least try to start thinking along the same lines. It says to "just do it", don't worry about how it is going to turn out, you just need to start doing finished work. There seems to be more videos on stuff like this on his channel so I don't understand how you missed them unless you just discovered him.

If you can't draw something from your head than you need to supplement in reference until you can, even when you get to the point where you can draw from your head it doesn't mean you should stop using reference. The reason people can draw stuff from there head is that they started out drawing from reference. Usually the more you draw something the easier it will get to draw and at some point you will be able to draw it with little to no ref needed. If you've never drawn something or anything similar to it, it is going to be difficult to draw. Basically, you need more practice.

Brooklyn wrote:While i got a decent Visual libary from Nature, reading and watching a lot of movies i also feel like that i can`t draw anything.

A good visual library means nothing if you can't draw from it. The only way you can start to draw from it is, again, to practice.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby perkexpert » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 pm

perkexpert

Can only second to that visual library: Consuming media is not building anything instead of building a sense of the actual pop culture. And you never have the fundamentals under your belt. All pro artists i've met and talked to just stress the importance of always working on them. Asked, what we could do to improve shape design and general draftsmanship, Craig Mullins said to us, well,ive uploaded a few thousand screenshots of a movie for you. Draw each frame in 1 or two minutes. If you've done that, you might have improved a bit. The thing is: Accept the challenge of persistently set goals for yourself and strive to reach them in a given time frame. That can be Art or anything in life. As for goals right now: Maybe join some challenge? Paint a close friend or family member in oils? Fill a sketchbook in one month? Go live sketching? Enjoy...
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby CaptainKiryu » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 am

CaptainKiryu

I've been drawing since I was a toddler and I still feel stuck sometimes. You just gotta keep moving forward. If you wanna draw realistically, there are ways to do it that are pretty simple---look up reference, learn measuring techniques, etc. Just draw what you like and do it a lot and eventually you'll get somewhere.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Art Questions and Discussion