Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Kavilen » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Kavilen

Subject title: Art Getting Worse?

So, Ive tried to stick with art. Hard for me to shake it off at this point. There is a slight problem, though. I feel like I'm getting progressively worse and am getting super discouraged (again....). Is it just my imagination, or am I really getting worse? *WARNING: LINK CONTAINS NSFW ART* https://imgur.com/a/jqxHOsl (Top to Bottom = Oldest to Newest)

Postby azarga » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:25 pm

azarga

tl:dr: not really.

Kavilen wrote:So, Ive tried to stick with art. Hard for me to shake it off at this point

For how long?

Kavilen wrote:I feel like I'm getting progressively worse

Certainly not getting worse, but the progress may seem somewhat slow (depending on how long have you been practicing). If that is the progress over 2 weeks, everything is fine. If that is over couple years, I'd seriously consider if my approach to studying is wrong, or maybe I'm not doing nearly enough practice. The reason it looks worse to you is probably that you train your eye to spot more flaws and mistakes that were always there but were not getting noticed.

Kavilen wrote:and am getting super discouraged (again....

Same. Get used to it. There are artists who know how to "love the grind", for the rest of us the suffering is indefinite.

P.S.: I'd personally prefer if you didn't quit, as we need more artists drawing muscular elves.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Kavilen » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Kavilen

That's in a span of about a year, maybe even longer... Thing is, I've been watching anatomy tutorials, studying poses, and practicing (almost) everyday. Those photos I posted are just a few of the "good" ones. I don't know how to improve faster when it seems to be moving at a snails pace. I've watched proko, Croquis Cafe, KNKL, Ahmed, and others while following along. I'm already 20 years old and I wish I was at a level to go to college. Is there a certain point when I should consider doing something else, meaning other than art? It seems that a lot of artists will be going into college straight after high school, or maybe a couple of years after. With the rate I'm going, I'll finally be able to go to college by the time I'm 30.

Postby svarn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:17 am

svarn

Maybe try different medium or approach if you are feeling stuck.
I wouldn't say you're getting worse per se, but it's just very inconssitant. You fix some things, and you make some mistakes that you just happened to not make before (possibly out of sheer luck rather then ability).
For example comparing the last torso that you've made to the one from page 2:
The page2 one seems to have better anatomy, but it's super simplified in comparison, which also gives you less room to make mistakes. The new one has a much better read of the form, but you've also made more mistakes since it's a more complex drawing.

I think that a lot of people in early stages (myself included) get stuck redrawing the same bad drawing. Like all those random tiny tiny faces. Try a medium one, if not a full portrait. Try learning how to render, maybe with charcoal, or paints (if you're set on doing traditional). As none of your drawings are really ever "finished", they are all kind of "study construction doodles" abandoned at random stages of the process. That kind of drawings are not really going to look good, and I don't think they are meant to.
Also since you are trying to construct from imagination, make sure that you confront your drawings with reference. And then try to fix them.

Postby perkexpert » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:18 pm

perkexpert

Can just add to svarn: You don't seem to commit to a drawing, but give up on the way of solving the problems at hand. That way you will not progress. Try to really finish a drawing in terms of accuracy, proportions, perspective or whatever you want to study. You made progress definitely, in terms of 3D Space awareness, but your attempts all seem half-arsed (sorry). Anatomy and figures are really complex and hard, so it's natural to fail here a lot. Maybe get yourself some freedom with some nice landscape drawings or easy stuff like boxy cars/houses or sth. Work on composition, values, basic forms, rendering those forms, composite forms, shadows on and from composite or simple forms, that sort of things, the more control you have, the better you will feel trying to solve it. Try rendering a perfect ball e.g. Don't give up. Push through, reaccess - enjoy!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Audiazif » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Audiazif

I think what everyone has said are all valid and helpful solutions to you problem. I would probably say things along the same lines.

Something I think that is worth mentioning and seems to not have been mentioned is to be realistic and evaluate your options. I mean you are comparing yourself to people who have been doing art longer than you and started sooner than you. If college is where you think you want to go then you need to accept the reality that you are going to have to wait until you get to the point where you can go. If it takes longer than you hoped then so be it. You are on your own path, stop worrying about what others are doing. There is more than one way to get where you want to be. It isn't about how or when you get there, what really matters is that you actually get there. If you give up now all potential paths stop.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Kavilen » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Kavilen

Thank you for everybody that has responded. I see what you all mean and am definitely seeing what perkexpert said. I have kind of half assed most of my drawings. The only one I did my best to try to finish was the kneeling elf and even then, I never really worked on solving her proportions or flaws in general. Not to mention I never finished it. I realize now that if I don't continue on the same drawing to try and fix, then it never really will get better. I'll keep starting it the same way, and quitting the same way. I have actually been trying to draw different things with... mixed results. I guess I'll have to just keep practicing. As for Audiazif, Thank you! You have responded to everything that I have posted on here(no matter how annoying...). You're right, though. I need to stop comparing myself to others. It's a bad habit. I hate that I started late, buuut I can't change that. All I can do is strive to create my own path. Back to drawing, I guess :D

Postby perkexpert » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:43 am

perkexpert

As my post might have been somewhat harsh, i just wanted to encourage you: I'm double your age and having a regular job and family i still manage to put some time to drawing and painting. Will i ever be a professional? Probably not. Will i ever be as good as Nathan Fowkes? Nope - not going to happen. Am i enjoying drawing and painting with my current skills? Definitely! I like the way drawing from life and all-day situations forces me to look closer, painting made me look differently at the world around me. It might sound cheesy, but the path it the goal, not the end result. There will always be someone with greater skill or lesser. But there is only one Kavilen in the world with his special views on life, on form, on composition on topics. The moment you get the courage to tell your own stories will be liberating. They might not be muscular elves or other generic fantasy stuff, but the tree before your parents house you always overlooked, it might be your friend or girl/boyfriend reading a book, it might be your own little stories. Get away from the computer, get a sketchbook and observe real life. So adding to audiazif: It's never too late, you got your whole life as a learning path and as long as you strive, you will make progress. Enjoy the ride!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Return to Art Questions and Discussion