Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Wb_draws » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Wb_draws

Subject title: Some advice on printing

My friends ask me to paint something for their wedding. As I work mostly digitally I will have to print the painting, but I have never done that. I would appreciate some advice on

1) Setting dimensions of the painting: do I correctly understand that 300 DPI means that I have to choose dimensions I want in inches and then just multiply it by 300? Is 300 DPI enough?
2) Do I need to leave some white spaces on the edge of the painting (like 1 inch wide or sth like this)? I heard something like this, but I dont remember where, so I cant go back and check it.
3) Any advice on choosing the paper for printing? I imagine that it needs to be of higher quality, but what exactly does it mean?

Thanks for help :) Any additional advices related to printing are welcome

Postby azarga » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:22 pm

azarga

What software are you using?
Asking because at least some programs cover all those questions in detail in their New Canvas and/or Print windows. Maybe it will be faster to just read the built-in tips.

And personally I'd go with at least 600 dpi for prints. Though 300 is often considered sufficient.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Wb_draws » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 am

Wb_draws

I do everything on my ipad using procreate, I do not see any options like that with some information.

I was planning to go a little bigger than 300 DPI just to be safe, I will see whether my software will allow for as much as 600 ;)

Postby azarga » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:46 pm

azarga

I see, can't help you then, I'm not an Apple user.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:20 am

Ambiguity

1) 300dpi should be fine for most applications, you only need to go higher if you're printing really small like on a business card. The reason is because you view big things from far away and small things upclose, so you need more dpi for small things so you don't see individual printing dots. And yes, just put in how big you want the print to be in inches and set the dpi to 300, the program should give you the appropriate pixel dimensions on it's own.

2) Those are called bleeds, and it depends on your printer, some don't require it. It would be best to ask the company you're printing with or search their website if they have one.

3) Are you printing on a home printer? If so, you'll need one that supports photo paper, otherwise it will be low quality. If you're printing with a company then they should give you multiple finish options(gloss, semi-gloss, matte), but you don't have to worry about paper quality there, they'll have it covered.

On another note, it'd be good if you had something like photoshop where you can check and edit your image in cmyk at the end, otherwise you might end up with colors in the print version that you don't like

Postby Wb_draws » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Wb_draws

Thanks for help, yeah, I am planning to print with a company, but to be honest I havent found one yet. I was planning to search for it once I have a painting done, but printing occurs to be more complicated than I expected, so I probably should do it sooner :) The CMYK thing seems to be really important, so thanks for the tip. It seems like it is a good strategy to check the colors even at the thumbnail stage, to see whether they are working, otherwise all the rendering may be wasted if colors will not work in the end.

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 am

Ambiguity

I don't know if other programs have this, but the working CMYK mode in Photoshop makes it really easy to A/B the RGB against the CMYK to get it as close as possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYKzhFxrbTM

Postby fi_le » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm

fi_le

Goddamn it Ambi, why do you know everything?
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:53 am

Ambiguity

I've been through a lot and researched a lot because of it. I have a pretty good long term memory as well, so that helps(remembering little day to day tasks is really hard for me though).

Return to Art Questions and Discussion