Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby tlst9999 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:15 pm

tlst9999

Subject title: Practice Question on Loomis's Composition from Lines

When Loomis does it, it looks easy because I saw the final product and worked backwards to the basic lines.

The hard part is when I have to make a drawing out of nothing but random curvy lines. Any ideas on what to practice for me bridge the gap?

Postby Audiazif » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Audiazif

Maybe work on simplification and building up an image from simple shapes. If you are having trouble with starting form lines than I think the issue is your ability to simplify. "Creative Illustration", the book this image is from, builds on what Loomis covers in "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth". If it is not explicitly mentioned in FDAIW, it is apparent in the illustrations, and basically the entire loomis method, that you need to simplify.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:36 am

Josephcow

I've never seen this particular page from Loomis, I find it very cool though.
Maybe you could work back and forth. Start with roughly the scene you want to draw and then draw over it and refine the rhythm of the shapes. From that you could get those lines, then you can draw over it again with the new compositional lines with a better idea of what they mean.

Sorry i haven't read the relevant passage, so obviously this is just conjecture.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:57 am

Ambiguity

You need to have a good visual library to pull out something from random shapes, either that or a whole lot of reference. I think it's no coincidence that most of the ones Loomis did are filled with women in nice dresses. He was commissioned work on those types of illustrations the most, so it stands to reason that his visual library is full of that type of imagery, and thus that is what he'd see in the shapes.

Postby tlst9999 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 pm

tlst9999

Ambiguity wrote:You need to have a good visual library to pull out something from random shapes, either that or a whole lot of reference. I think it's no coincidence that most of the ones Loomis did are filled with women in nice dresses. He was commissioned work on those types of illustrations the most, so it stands to reason that his visual library is full of that type of imagery, and thus that is what he'd see in the shapes.

Hmm...And how does one build such a visual library effectively?

Postby Moe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Moe

Basically comes down to 3 things: Drawing a lot from reference, Drawing a lot from memory, and understanding fundamentals(especially perspective and human anatomy) if your focus is figures.

Drawing a lot from reference will improve your visual library, proportion and placement, among other things
Drawing from memory will allow you to solidfy it so you can draw from it when working from imagination
Understanding your fundamentals will assist you in drawing correctly and allow you to rotate objects/figures/environments in your head once you become more advanced.

See: Bridgeman, Kim Jung Gi Krenz Cushart and 0033 for inspiration
1479403826124.jpg
CYZn3ciVAAEP3ZP.jpg
download.jpg
Yolo

Return to Art Questions and Discussion