Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby P!nk.panda » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 pm

P!nk.panda

Subject title: The struggle with depression

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I posted anything on the forums. I've been drawing on and off for my entire life ever since I was little. I know art for me is something I want to do for more than just as a hobby. Recently I've been "on" with my art, and I'm trying to do at least something everyday. I'm trying to push myself to be more motivated, and I really want to take my drawing and my art more seriously. Even though I feel confident, sometimes I struggle really bad with major depression (general life issues). My depression sometimes stops me from doing as much in art as I'd like, or even sometimes stops me entirely. I find that I get really distracted and sometimes overwhelmed, and put off doing anything productive. I was wondering if anyone out there has the same issue, and if there is a way to get passed it.

Postby azarga » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 pm

azarga

Hi.

Since you wanted to know if anyone here had similar issue there u go: I do.
Don't have any good news, outside "u r not alone", since for me struggle with art is one of contributing factors, unfortunately.
But you mentioned that you're pretty confident with your skills, so maybe try some form of art therapy, some "vent art" and all that jazz?
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Snakebreath » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 am

Snakebreath

''We grinded for so long, we worked for so long, yo
And mother******s, they hate you, man
They try to make me feel bad about how I look, how I speak
how I act, my race, my everything
They just—they, they fucking hate you man
They'll hate you when you in this position
But you can't let 'em—you can't let 'em, you can't let that s**t get to you man
Continue to persevere, continue to be the best you you can be 'Cause I'm here right now man, best friends
I got everything I could ever want man
Even though you always want more deep down
And you got goals deep down, that's great,
No matter how old you are, how young you are
Whether you on the school bus headed to get your education
Or you driving home from work pissed off at your boss
Just, man, just please do what you love in life
So many people, they always say, how, "Oh, you know, I would do this—but," or "I can't, because"
And you already f***ing lost, they lost
And I felt bad for that person 'cause that person will never make it "I would, but I don't have the money," "I would, but I don't have the time"
F**k that, you gotta do it man
You gotta do what makes you happy
You have to live selfishly in that aspect
Stop worrying about others, stop freaking out
Just focus on yourself, man, and your own happiness
That's the realest thing
And that's all I can tell you, because
You can't help anybody else until you help yourself, you know what I'm saying?"

I was listening to this song the other day and it really hit me. People in any creative field all suffer this problem. They want the reward SO bad, but they don't realize that the journey there is what is truely valuable. I hear so many people say "I try drawing, but it frustrates me after a couple days and I stop" etc. And the reason is because you're too focused on the end goal, and you aren't enjoying the journey. And until you enjoy the process you can never reach your goal because you'll keep falling into the cycle of starting for a couple days, then quitting again.

My goal was to get a career doing art. I practiced for 12+ hours a day for two years. I had no experience, but between school during the day, and 6 hours of practice every night I managed to land a job at a local studio. Looking back, those 2 years were crazy hard. But now that I've achieved my goal, I yearn to get those years back. I had an insane drive to do art, and now that I achieved my goal it's significantly lowered.

At the end of the day, having a goal to reach is great, but trust me when I say making money from art won't make you happier. The process of doing art is what you enjoy. Just because someone hands you a paycheck won't make that process more enjoyable, if anything it'll damper it. I challenge you to fall in love with making art, not making money from it.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion