Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby GeoDribP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

GeoDribP

Subject title: How to rotate head's planes? What to study?

I am reading Andrew loomi's book: drawing the head and hands. One of the things that it has you to do is to rotate the head planes in any angle. How to learn to do that? What do I need to study? I know it has to do with perspective which I already study. But how can you take any plane and rotate in whatever direction you want? Thanks! :)

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 am

Ambiguity

It's kind of a lame answer, but it is one of those things that is just observation and practice. I think it's best you start by learning the planes in the orthographic views first and then using what you know about those views to guess at the in between views like 3/4 turns. Also, If you haven't learned how to rotate a simple object like a box and cylinder yet, it's unlikely you'll be able to handle something as complex as a head. Proko has some good tips one that(he also covered Loomis' head method):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

Postby GeoDribP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm

GeoDribP

Ambiguity wrote:It's kind of a lame answer, but it is one of those things that is just observation and practice. I think it's best you start by learning the planes in the orthographic views first and then using what you know about those views to guess at the in between views like 3/4 turns. Also, If you haven't learned how to rotate a simple object like a box and cylinder yet, it's unlikely you'll be able to handle something as complex as a head. Proko has some good tips one that(he also covered Loomis' head method):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uEtdDvK6Xo

Ok. I'll try what you said me to do. Also I'll check that video. Thanks! :)

Return to Art Questions and Discussion